Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shop St, Galway

• 26-06-2011 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Howdy, bored as hell today and no shoots preplanned or anything so I was wandering around taking photos instead. I like this style and the fact that it's candid, he didnt know I was shooting him, And I wasn't that far away as I use a 17-55mm.

The style might not be to everyone's taste but sure you'll have that! I have a big version to, wouldn't mind trying a print of it!

old_man_gloom_by_sic_side_fx-d3k2mdr.png

So here's a revision. I'm not into it so much but sure you'll have that. oldman_forum_post_by_sic_side_fx-d3k3e4p.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭BULLER

Love the picture. Did you use photoshop at all?!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

Oh I'm afraid so haha. Black and white, brightness and contrast and the shudder all in PP.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

My 2c worth on this shot;

Processing is awful. What were you thinking?
    There is a good shot in the man walking down the street with his bag on his back, but whatever you've done with the blurring around him just doesn't work. Why did you do it? What are you trying to do with the shot? It's a good stand alone shot without any trickery.

The cropping could be improved with the removal of half the left hand side of the frame. Put your subject on the left hand third and he's looking nicely into the shot leaving the viewer wondering what he's looking at.

Again, it's my opinion, don't take offence.....

As above it's not really here for c+c, just a forum share. There was no cropping of this image, it is exactly as you see from the camera. I like the blur, so I guess that's what I was thinking. :)

In saying that, having taken a very quick look over your portfolio, I can tell that it's not your style, so I understand your point of view on styles like this and that's cool! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I like the blur, so I guess that's what I was thinking. :)

Just looked at your "high quality link" and it's even worse.

The "motion blur" around the subject leaves a halo effect which to my eyes is very disconcerting.

Why add it? The photo doesn't need it. It's adds nothing to it. It is unnatural and again to my mind, just doesn't work. It's a good shot in it's own right!

• Advertisement

I just think your missing the point a little bit. I want a print from this,something I could hang up and appreciate it more for art than simply a photograph. I also want something with a degree of anonymity, without advertising and identity. It's just a style and I think your taking it a bit too personally as thought it were your own photo. Like I say, having looked at your photos I can tell that this isn't your style so I dont expect you to appreciate it in the same way that I do. You have a very photo journalistic style, but that's not for me :) thanks for the feedback all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭The_Snapper

It appears you missed blurring in between his legs.

I had done until around 20 minutes ago but didnt change the link :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I'm with pullandbang on this, processing is completely over the top. The auld fella could make a nice shot but right now all I can see is a ton of clumsy post processing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Ah now lads, the old man is quite clearly moving very fast, that's why there's motion blur...

:pac:

I'm with pullandbang / Zillah, motion blur just looks crap, and not needed...

• Advertisement

Ah I dunno fellas, im not convinced we're looking for the same thing from photos like this. I've already explained why I like it, and you've already explained why ye' don't. :D I don't look for the same things that you might from photography. Tis' great to be different! ;D

For the craic, I'm going to mess around with this again and post it up here. keep it light hearted lads, no need to call anything crap, lazy,dull,clumsy etc, I dont use those words when giving c+c to anyone ever, a bit of artists etiquette ;)

I like the idea of a blurred background here, but the shudder effect you used is too harsh and rough, in my opinion.

If it were shot at 200mm at 2.8 or somesuch, and the background were just naturally blurred (thus softer and would separate the subject from the background a lot crisper looking) then I think I'd prefer it.

Shudder effect is too rough on the eye, and it kinda makes my head sore from looking at it (much the same way I don't love photos with post-processed 'zoom' or 'panning' in them. It just doesn't look right).

I also think the man in the background with the camera around his neck is a bit distracting.

That said, I often flick through the Random photo thread and look at photos that have loads and loads of thanks, and I think the photo isn't much cop at all. Then I see photographs with one or two thanks, and I think the photo is great, so my opinion on photos does seem to differ from what other people like, so take my opinion lightly :)

Yeah I hate that guy on the left, and his nikon haha! So anyway I played around a bit more, meh, I dunno It's not fun to me now, but I guess it's more pleasing and what have you. fun fun, nothing but love for boards crew, even when ye are the sand in my vaseline ;D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

I like what you've tried to do but I think the not-quite-perfect photoshopping gives away the pping and so people are bound to pounce on that. if you're going to blur one part of the picture and keep the subject sharp it's best to take the subject out first, blur the background and then mask the subject back in. The patch tool is good for taking the subject out before you blur.
    I've done it quickly here to show you. Let me know if you want me to take it down.
    man.jpg
    I also admire that you are keeping a cool head while people are ripping apart your pp.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

As above it's not really here for c+c, just a forum share.
    it's a reasonable assumption that people will comment on the photograph and what they think of it - especially since you commented on your thoughts on the two variations.
    starting a new thread with images and not wanting feedback is a bit redundant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I really really like it as is. I don't find the PP at all overblown, and I think that without it, this picture would fall flat. Contrary to the assertions of others, I don't believe you started with a perfectly satisfactory shot - I think without the PP, it'd be a little boring. I love the texture in his coat too, I'd probably just tweak the cropping a little.

it's a reasonable assumption that people will comment on the photograph and what they think of it - especially since you commented on your thoughts on the two variations.
    starting a new thread with images and not wanting feedback is a bit redundant.

There's no need to nit-pick folks, its all gravy :) I originally posted the thread with a line reading "im posting this more for a candid share and not really for c+c as i like it the way it is", I dont know when I took that out but it seems I did, maybe with reposting the image or something like that? I can't remember. Either way sure ye all had at me anyway so it's not like it made any difference so pointing it out that I even said that is also irrelevant :)

Glad someone like it tele, and yeah, I wasn't 100% on the image straight off the camera anyway but sure you'll have that. I didnt crop this at all either, it's probably the best photo I've taken in terms of spontaneous composition!

Thanks for all the feedback and tips fellas, even if I dont sound like it, I really appreciate the feedback this forum gives, even when I dont really want it haha! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Thanks for all the feedback and tips fellas, even if I dont sound like it, I really appreciate the feedback this forum gives, even when I dont really want it haha! ;)

Well it is a discussion forum, gotta talk about something :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

i kinda like the shudder.... Adds a bit of magic to the scene. He looks fairytalesque, mystical. Almost a shriveled giant stomping through the streets.

It reminds me of something, something manga perhaps.

Theres some thoughts that jumped into my head. Its an unusual image to look at... difficult but enjoyable.

• Advertisement

I though manga to 110011100111122233355 or whatever your name is haha! Anyway I reckon it could be like Aranaki from ghost in the shell. or something like that. Thanks besides!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

yeah im with the majority here, i do like the pic but the blur on the first one is too much , second onemuch better and the one square balloon put up was very good

I dare say if I put up the square balloon one I would have been trashed for that to, it's far too unrealistic bohke, not even a 1.2 would have that kind of effect. But that was before I put up my rework so I know what he/she was getting at. :)

Well I'm very happy with my photograph and my PP and will endeavour to add to this shop street collection, and to really step up my candid photography here in galway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

There's no need to nit-pick folks, its all gravy :) I originally posted the thread with a line reading "im posting this more for a candid share and not really for c+c as i like it the way it is", I dont know when I took that out but it seems I did, maybe with reposting the image or something like that? I can't remember. Either way sure ye all had at me anyway so it's not like it made any difference so pointing it out that I even said that is also irrelevant :)

Glad someone like it tele, and yeah, I wasn't 100% on the image straight off the camera anyway but sure you'll have that. I didnt crop this at all either, it's probably the best photo I've taken in terms of spontaneous composition!

You can use the random photo thread if you just want to share your pic, that's what it's there for - in fact feedback is specifically banned on it it I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

I don't mind the blur effect on this if it was done properly, the effect just smacks of poor PS'ing (still better than my level of competence though) - not sure if that was the intended effect or not. Second effort is far better, although I agree with Pull and Bang that if you cropped it, leaving the subject on the left hand side of the photo rather than in the middle it would work better.

Advertisement