Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A or B - Which edit do you prefer

• 26-06-2011 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭

As the title says, I am stuck.

A is not black and white, is has a dark sepia tone running through it.

5873823979_00cf31d978_z.jpg
    A or B by Richie Buttle, on Flickr

A or B 25 votes

A - Mono / Sepdia Tone
    0% 0 votes
    B - Colour
    100% 25 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mikka631

I prefer 'B' There is more clarity and detail evident in the colour image IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

there is more atmosphere and mood in A I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

I prefer the colour for the same reasons as mikka631. There is more detail in the darks. Her lips look a little washed out in the colour though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

prefer b myself the green of the traffic light and the more detail in the shadows adds more to the image I think.

Also prefer B. :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I'd prefer A if it was a little more black and white rather than the sort of sepia like tone that seems to be going on in it.
    The whites just aren't white and the blacks just aren't black enough.

The green traffic light in the colour one is a total distraction, as are the car tail lights on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭32finn

Agree with pullandbang, i prefer A but there is a bit of a sepia tint going through it, very noticable on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Miss Boudoir

I prefer A also, I think the green light in B draws your eye away from the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

A, and i'd pop the highlights a tad more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

I think A is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Defo B

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

As it stands, I prefer B, but feel there is a better Mono Conversion and it would be stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

B for me, A just needs a little more to make it stand out

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

Clearly B , for a nightshot the colours are working very well...and thats a professional opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

There really is something about A that I really like :)

I think it's the old fashion feel that I grew up loving. I really like that style and it's the only time I like B&W

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I don't like the orange colours in B, love the B&W in A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

A. It looks more like an album cover.
    The colours (traffic light etc) in B distract for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭shemwhistler

Would it be possible to see the two separated?

It might just be the noobishness of my eye, but I can't seem to separate them as well when they're side by side.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Pixie Chief

definitely B

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

B for me also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

I have a preference for Red-heads, so B for me :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

i prefer b , the colour makes it a better pic for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

This is getting very mixed reaction... I check one place I ask and most say A... I check another and most say B.

Interesting indeed :) I stuck up a poll to try and make it more clearer as to which is more popular.

also, yes A is not a pure black and white, it has a sepia tone in there also.

Would it be possible to see the two separated?

It might just be the noobishness of my eye, but I can't seem to separate them as well when they're side by side.

For now, try covering one with your hand and see :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Neither work tbh. Awkward pose, odd location/lighting/theme, uncomf model and poorly composed. Feet are cut off, distracting background and I've no idea what the image is meant to be about with regards to C&C??? Fashion? Strobist? Portraiture? Nightshot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

I prefer A.

More moody, and I am less drawn to what is gong on around the model (the car on the left and the traffic lights on the right) yet I am still conscious of them.

Nice pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭sallydan

Have to say A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Neither work tbh. Awkward pose, odd location/lighting/theme, uncomf model and poorly composed. Feet are cut off, distracting background and I've no idea what the image is meant to be about with regards to C&C??? Fashion? Strobist? Portraiture? Nightshot?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭shemwhistler

For now, try covering one with your hand and see :)

But this conflicts directly with my laziness :)

OK, B.

Although my hand was looking pretty good there for a minute.

pete4130 wrote: »

I think you misread. I never asked for critic on the composition, pose, model or lighting etc. I just asked which edit did people prefer i.e. the colour or mono version.

Other points noted though, thanks for the feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

C all the way.

B] has no atmosphere but more detail.
    A] has some atmosphere but is too heavily messed around with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

A by a mile

B is a great shot, really like it but A is THE shot, I know the same shot but if you were to treat them as seperates. A is giving an old feel to the shot and although there is less contrast in it than I would like it really works for some reason, it is moody, feels like it has a story to it whereas B is still just a really good shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

The current result is 12 votes to 12. I guess maybe that'd tell you that some people like mono b/w, Others like colour. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jaybeeveedub

while I will have to come clean and admit I'd almost always say mono anyway... I prefer the monochromatic version.....

I do like the color version a lot but the powerful green traffic signal, I think, drags the eye away from the models face (which I'm assuming is the intended focus of the image!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

B for me - for A, I would prefer if the dark areas were black, not really a fan of sepia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Was going to say A just for the leggings/trousers*, they look fantastic in A. But I like the colours and I think the night time feel comes out best in B.
    (*I'm not half as deep as the rest of them :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the input.

The sepia effect came about after pressing one button in a photoshop action. I was putting it out there to see if it was possible to edit an image in with one click and make it more appealing that if the images was processed in a more manual way.

Either way, I am not a much of a fan of the sepia effect, I prefer straight black and white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭Decos

Both great but its A for me, more moody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Just voted A and it turns out I tied it up.

I prefer A. B seems unspectacular imo. Could have been done by a 3 year old. Nothing special about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

pete4130 wrote: »
    I think you misread. I never asked for critic on the composition, pose, model or lighting etc. I just asked which edit did people prefer i.e. the colour or mono version.

Other points noted though, thanks for the feedback.

I don't think he misread at all.

If you have a poorly taken photo to start with, no amount of editing will make it any better. You can polish a turd, but its still a turd as the saying goes. As such, is there really any point in commenting on the processing?
    Jackobyte wrote: »
    Just voted A and it turns out I tied it up.

I prefer A. B seems unspectacular imo. Could have been done by a 3 year old. Nothing special about it.

Again, have to agree here. To me, it actually looks like it was taken on a compact, by some college student on a night out for a number of reasons. Mainly the pose and expressions making it look like she's hammered and about to puke all over the side of the street.

Advertisement