Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryobi?

• 26-06-2011 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

Notice this brand in DIY stores over the past year or so. Would you rate it? Are they owned by anyone else? Is it more a DIY brand than say a tradesman brand?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

There seems to be two different types of Ryobi... The blue ones are seemingly aimed more at DIY and the green at the trades...

I have a cordless drill and a jigsaw... Drills are good and can't fault them. They're one+ and I have two batteries, so when I bought the jigsaw I didn't need another battery or charger. The main shaft on the saw is bent now, not sure if it was like that when I bought it or if I did it, but when cutting the saw sits slightly off center now.

Batteries don't last as long with the jigsaws as I'd like, but the I do have an electric one if I could be bothered to take it out. Its handy for the odd small jobs, but any big jobs and you'd need an electric one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Ryobi have been around for over 30yrs from my memory used to make quality fishing tackle in my youth but seem to be into allsorts these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I have a few Ryobi bits for home DIY (heavy-ish DIY) and I quite like them.

I have the cordless drill, and jigsaw, also a torch. They all use the same batteries which is handy.

For the real heavy work I'll use Makita.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭spillcoe

I have a strimmer for about a year and it's holding up pretty good so far.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

The blue and the green are all the same they changed the colours when the brought out the lithium batteries.with a 2.4 amp lithium battery they are nearly up to dewalt standard,good enough for diy/light site work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Not a fan, their garden gear isnt great... we got a leaf blower in from toolbank in the uk for sale in the shop.. its got a "rotochoke" lol.

Piece of dung wouldnt blow snow off a rope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

dnme wrote: »
    Notice this brand in DIY stores over the past year or so. Would you rate it? Are they owned by anyone else? Is it more a DIY brand than say a tradesman brand?

As a serious enough diy-er/occasional tradesman I'd buy Ryobi to fill in certain non-critical gaps.

A 4" angle grinder would be fine - but not a battery drill. Or a Ryobi router (a router is effectively just a high speed motor with a chuck) but not a Ryobi jigsaw. And when it came to a compound slide saw, an on-offer Ryobi suited perfectly; good enough to tackle the job properly once set up, cheap enough to enable the purchase of what would otherwise be for me, a luxury item.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭shrubs

Have 2 chainsaws, a shredder, and a compound mitre saw. I rate them well, cheap and of a reasonable quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭FREDNISMO

Ryobi is ok until you need spares like brushes, had to wait for 4 weeks and they cost nearly 3 times more than makita brushes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

they are used only on the sites as a back up. They do the job, but not as well the the bigger priced tools.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Some years back I hired a heavy duty battery Ryobi for drilling about 400 x 5" x 0.5" holed in solid concrete wall. No problems. Battery indicator and charge times were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Kildare Resident

I have a Ryobi 18v One+ H/A drill and I the abuse I give it is unreal. But it just goes and goes and goes. Honestly I've drilled everything from 25mm holes in concrete to using it as a screwgun. I work for myself fitting alarms etc... and when this one dies I'll buy a new one. I'm looking at the SDS drill they have as my Hilti is on it's last legs and I don't think I'll but another Hilti, not knocking Hilti as the one I have is 12 years old but they are a bit expensive for me to buy at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I have a Ryobi 18v One+ H/A drill and I the abuse I give it is unreal. But it just goes and goes and goes. Honestly I've drilled everything from 25mm holes in concrete to using it as a screwgun. I work for myself fitting alarms etc... and when this one dies I'll buy a new one. I'm looking at the SDS drill they have as my Hilti is on it's last legs and I don't think I'll but another Hilti, not knocking Hilti as the one I have is 12 years old but they are a bit expensive for me to buy at the moment

Thats the thing about hilti though, parts are easily available from Hilti in Dublin. I'd be looking at repairing it if I were you.

Thats the thing about hilti though, parts are easily available from Hilti in Dublin. I'd be looking at repairing it if I were you.

I spoke to Hilti in Cork last time I was there and they quoted me €400 for a battery for it and I need 2 of them, I couldn't justify €800 for a set of batteries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I spoke to Hilti in Cork last time I was there and they quoted me €400 for a battery for it and I need 2 of them, I couldn't justify €800 for a set of batteries.

Are you saying that the ryobi 18v cordless drill ,does holes of 25mm ?
    Most cordless hammers up to 24volt have a limit of about 15mm.

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Are you saying that the ryobi 18v cordless drill ,does holes of 25mm ?
    Most cordless hammers up to 24volt have a limit of about 15mm.

Yes

Yes

Have you got a link to it ,my dad is looking for a cheapish drill for occasional drilling and that sounds great.

I use a hilit SFH-22A and I wouldn't be able to drill a 25mm hole with it and it's the most powerful drill driver around at the moment.:(

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Have you got a link to it ,my dad is looking for a cheapish drill for occasional drilling and that sounds great.

I use a hilit SFH-22A and I wouldn't be able to drill a 25mm hole with it and it's the most powerful drill driver around at the moment.:(

It's not something I'd do on a regular basis but I've done it. I would love to buy a new set of batteries for the Hilti but business the way it is at the moment I can't justify it and too be honest if I was spending that kind of money on batteries I'd spend the extra few quid and put my old Hilti into retirement :)

It's not something I'd do on a regular basis but I've done it. I would love to buy a new set of batteries for the Hilti but business the way it is at the moment I can't justify it and too be honest if I was spending that kind of money on batteries I'd spend the extra few quid and put my old Hilti into retirement :)

Really interested in the ryobi stuff now ,mainly because they seem to have a large selection of powertools to go with the batteries.

Wouldn't mind seeing what other stuff they do ,once the batteries are good quality that kind of makes the tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I'd buy ryobi before I'd buy makita or dewalt. Cordless angle grinder wouldn't cut sh1t though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement