Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New business similar to competitor

• 26-06-2011 11:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I'm in the process of setting up a small part time business offering one services and I want to get one of the 1890 numbers say 1890 friend, I have found out the number I want is taking by my competitor, if I get the same number but with 1850 friend and my website is similar to theirs would this be seen as passing off. The website is similar in that it is only 3 pages, about us, contact us and services page and theirs is the same 3 pages but our layout is different.

Any feedback would be great.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Would you not be better off trying to differentiate yourself? I think they'd have a case as you passing off alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

Personally, I dislike 1890 and 1850 numbes as they cost me money to phone. A lot of people have free call bundles whether on their landline or mobile and these numbers are excluded from them. If it was my business I would go with a standard phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sirreally

writhen wrote: »
    Personally, I dislike 1890 and 1850 numbes as they cost me money to phone. A lot of people have free call bundles whether on their landline or mobile and these numbers are excluded from them. If it was my business I would go with a standard phone number.

Plus one for this. 1850/1890 are now effectively premium rate numbers and I will never call one unless absolutely necessary (I would for sure ring a competitor with a "regular" number first, assuming it's a landline). In case anyone doesn't know, www.saynoto1890.com is a great website that gives an A to Z listing of geographic (i.e. local area) numbers to call for companies advertising 1850/1890 numbers.

Regarding OP, even if you can get 1850 XXXXXX, you would be risking losing some calls to your competitor if any of your potential customers make a mistake by dialling 1890 instead of 1850. Surely you could come up with a different XXXXXX?

Advertisement