Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with fixing Sanyo MC60 dictaphone tape???

• 26-06-2011 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi, I have an old dictaphone tape, on which I recorded something very precious and there are very memories I would like to keep, however... the tape machine was left running at some stage and the tape snapped at the end of the reel, so I have this tape that I can't play or fix myself. I am wondering 2 things:
    1. If I can get that fixed
    2. If I do get it fixed, can I get the recording transferred to CD/digital media, or if there is somewhere I can bring the tape that some genius person can transfer raw tape onto digital media without the need to fix it.

I hope this makes sense.
    I would really appreciate help as the contents are very precious memories.

G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Haven't done it with a dictaphone tape specifically, but I would imagine you could open the cassette and remove the last bit of tape from the hub and attach the broken tail, then re-assemble. then it should work fine. I have fixed ordinary audio cassettes this way.

If the Dictaphone has a 3.5mm headphone output socket and is still fit to play tapes, then transferring to digital from the repaired tape should be fairly easy. Connect the headphone socket to the sound input of a PC or laptop and then use a suitable app to record off the tape.

Whereabouts are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gleeky

cnocbui wrote: »
    Haven't done it with a dictaphone tape specifically, but I would imagine you could open the cassette and remove the last bit of tape from the hub and attach the broken tail, then re-assemble. then it should work fine. I have fixed ordinary audio cassettes this way.

If the Dictaphone has a 3.5mm headphone output socket and is still fit to play tapes, then transferring to digital from the repaired tape should be fairly easy. Connect the headphone socket to the sound input of a PC or laptop and then use a suitable app to record off the tape.

Whereabouts are you?

I am in Galway. I have looked at the tape. Its not like old cassette tapes in that there are no screws, it seems stuck together.
    Thanks re the recording bit. I will come back to that if I can manage to get the tape fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 orladoddles

Gleeky wrote: »
    I am in Galway. I have looked at the tape. Its not like old cassette tapes in that there are no screws, it seems stuck together.
    Thanks re the recording bit. I will come back to that if I can manage to get the tape fixed.
    did u manage to get ur tape fixed as i have a similar problem with a tape, which has sentimental value to me and like your tape, mine has no screws either and I am unable to fix it. any help you can give me on where you got your tape fixed would be appreciated, as I am in galway as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gleeky

Hi, unfortunately I have not had any success, tho someone did suggest going to a sound engineer with it and seeing what they could do, though when I spoke to someone they said it was easy as unscrewing etc again. I am sorry you have the same trouble, if you find any further information I would be really grateful if you could share it. Wishing you the best of luck, G

• Registered Users Posts: 2 orladoddles

i was able to take the tape apart myself using a very small flat head screwdriver and slowly going around the edges, doing it 1 side at a time - I think that i was extremely lucky doing it. I hope you are as just as successful as i was, all i have left to do is to reseal it back together, which I will do tomorrow with daylight rather than artifical light. good luck with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement