Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle Repair Service

Options
  • 26-06-2011 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Hey Guy's, just wondering if there'd be much of an interest in a bicycle repair and servicing shop ran by 2 students who work part time as bike mechanics,

Obviously the pricing would be cheaper than the ucd bike shop and we'd be upfront with pricing and the lot.(Possibly running a mobile repair service)

Just wondering if you think there'd be any merit in doing this? and maybe some advice with how to approach the SU with possibly trying to get their backing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Tbh you'd be hard pressed to price under the guys in the bike shop and still turn a profit, they're extremely reasonable

Edit: Also, a mobile repair service has the disadvantage of requiring the customer stand around while you fix the bike, or trust you with it while they go off. With the bike shop, you can just leave the bike there, pick it up in a day or two, and they can guarantee it's safety (Bikes are trucked in and out of the premises each day)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

The General idea would be we would work around richview or we go to the persons bike, depending on if it's adjusting gears or fixing a puncture.

There would be so little overheads as we already have a lot of our own tools, so it's more about having a little extra cash for ourselves. Thats the only reason we'd be able charge less.

It isn't a full time 9-6 shop as are studying in ucd.

You may have a point I'm just putting it out there to see what ya's think before we do anything about the idea.

*Edit for your edit*
    That's a good point, the idea of it being mobile would be that it'd be for more like immediate things like the situation of coming out of a lecture and it turns out your bike has a puncture you need fixed quick.

You do have a good point with the storage of the bicycles though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

It'd be a bad thing if you damaged the bike shop's business seeing as they've been there a good while and will be in the future while you presumably will end your repair business when you finish studying?
    Only had the use the bike shop once (so far!) but they were brilliant and very keenly priced.

I do like the idea though of being able to call you and you coming to fix my puncture quickly. Never got a puncture fixed in the bike shop but I presume it's not immediate.
    Why not put a few signs around the noticeboards with a mobile number and the price for a puncture repair and see how it goes? (Then go and smash glass and spread it all over the approach roads to UCD.....)

I think when it came to us nearing our degree's we would get other students to take the reins, we did talk about the bike shop but it is clear that bike shop won't go out due to a couple of repairs sure they have their cycling safaries company that make a tidy amount of money. I think we may have it as a trial basis to see how it goes.

Thanks to the both of you's for your comments, you's both definitely gave us some things to think about, if anyone else has any input it'd be more than welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Crow92 wrote: »
    Thanks to the both of you's for your comments, you's both definitely gave us some things to think about, if anyone else has any input it'd be more than welcome.

Hate to be the annoying one, but UCD Commercial Office might not tolerate you operating a business on campus without their consent. They usually defend their turf having any business that is operating on campus (e.g flyers/promos) moved off campus.

• Advertisement

stop wrote: »
    Hate to be the annoying one, but UCD Commercial Office might not tolerate you operating a business on campus without their consent. They usually defend their turf having any business that is operating on campus (e.g flyers/promos) moved off campus.

Not annoying at all lol, definitely something that we would need to know, we we're thinking of approaching the SU to see if we could get something that is official.

Advertisement