Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Border Terrier Groomer Cork City?

Options
  • 27-06-2011 12:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hey, I'm looking for a dog groomer in or around Cork City that specializes in stripping Border Terriers. Could anyone here recommend someone to me?

In the city would be best as I don't drive but if I need to go a bit outside for quality service that would be fine. (I'm sure my pooch would only be delighted with the extra long walk.)

I've heard of a woman in the Douglas area that does it for roughly 30euro but I'd like to get some opinions before I go ahead as I've been told that if the hair is not stripped correctly it may cause damage.

Thanks!! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

I thought the whole dog grooming fad had died with the Celtic Tiger (unless you're going to crufts). Personally I use the furminator 41XAHN4RSCL._AA280_.jpg, thought of regularly paying someone to groom my dog makes me sick!

But to answer your question if still valid, can't recommend anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Why would the question not be valid, just because you don't want to pay to get your dog groomed doesn't mean the rest of use a glorified squeegee to do it!

Anyway to answer your question, I have westie and we send him to Colm Hastings in Douglas (Shamrock Lawn I think), though it's quite hard to get an appointment without a bit of extended notice I heard.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Why would the question not be valid, just because you don't want to pay to get your dog groomed doesn't mean the rest of use a glorified squeegee to do it!

Anyway to answer your question, I have westie and we send him to Colm Hastings in Douglas (Shamrock Lawn I think), though it's quite hard to get an appointment without a bit of extended notice I heard.

I'm not saying its not valid (well I did but meant it in case I had still not conviced the OP), just my opinion. A glorified "squeegee" the furminator is not though, it is a brilliant tool for those of us who either can't afford or refuse to pay someone to do something that doesn't take all that long and is in fact a bonding experience with your animal ;) To each his/her own though. As I mentioned Crufts or something along those lines is a different ball game.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I use the furminator too and it is great, but it cant be used on wire-haired breeds like the borders and a lot of other terriers. Groomer i'd reccomend is in Matthew Hill by the Kinsale Road Roundabout. Her name's Joy Sisk though I think she's gotten quite busy lately as well so it might be hard getting an appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MissRetro

tommy21 wrote: »
    I thought the whole dog grooming fad had died with the Celtic Tiger (unless you're going to crufts). Personally I use the furminator, thought of regularly paying someone to groom my dog makes me sick!

But to answer your question if still valid, can't recommend anyone!

I would love to be able to do this myself(broke student as I am and all) but as I said in my original post if you do not strip the hairs properly it can cause damage to the hair/regrowth. On top of that even if I did have the technique down this process generally takes between 1 and 3 hours!

On the other hand I fully intend to try and learn how to do this myself after watching a professional a few times and getting some tips etc.. I wouldn't be the Crufts type of person at all, I just want my pup tidied up a bit :)

razorblunt wrote: »

Thanks! :)
    Do you know if he does Border Terrier stripping because I'm not sure if Westies require this type of grooming..?

• Advertisement

Shanao wrote: »
    I use the furminator too and it is great, but it cant be used on wire-haired breeds like the borders and a lot of other terriers. Groomer i'd reccomend is in Matthew Hill by the Kinsale Road Roundabout. Her name's Joy Sisk though I think she's gotten quite busy lately as well so it might be hard getting an appointment.

Thanks! :) Do you know if she does Border Terrier stripping?

To clarify, because I think my original post may have been a bit vague in part, it is a groomer qualified in dog 'stripping' rather than dog 'clipping' that I am looking for..
    Clipping is done by using electric clippers and stripping is done by "plucking" the hair out with fingers. Stripping can only be done on dogs with a wire texture coat. Stripping is also a much longer process and takes around 4 hours but does leave the wire texture to your dogs' coat.

Thanks again for all your help! :)

MissRetro wrote: »
    I would love to be able to do this myself(broke student as I am and all) but as I said in my original post if you do not strip the hairs properly it can cause damage to the hair/regrowth. On top of that even if I did have the technique down this process generally takes between 1 and 3 hours!

On the other hand I fully intend to try and learn how to do this myself after watching a professional a few times and getting some tips etc.. I wouldn't be the Crufts type of person at all, I just want my pup tidied up a bit :)

Thanks! :)
    Do you know if he does Border Terrier stripping because I'm not sure if Westies require this type of grooming..?

Ah fair enough in fact I missed the whole causing damage thing which I didn't even think of, so guess that's another reason outside of the whole dog show side of things. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

4 Paws and a Tail in Ballinlough have opened a grooming parlour in the last fortnight. It's not every day as far as I know - so you have to make appointments, but they've a Polish girl doing the grooming and apparently she's very good. Got my hound booked in for a session there next month when her hair's a little longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

tommy21 wrote: »
    I'm not saying its not valid (well I did but meant it in case I had still not conviced the OP), just my opinion. A glorified "squeegee" the furminator is not though, it is a brilliant tool for those of us who either can't afford or refuse to pay someone to do something that doesn't take all that long and is in fact a bonding experience with your animal ;) To each his/her own though. As I mentioned Crufts or something along those lines is a different ball game.

I still stands by the fact it looks like a squeegey! And I know if I used the dog would end up looking like one of those bald cats and hate me forever!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I can recommend someone in Glanmire. But the lady's pregnant and about to give birth (if she hasn't already!)

OP - Have a word with Castlelack Canine Products. You can buy a stripping knife, and chalk. With a little time and patience, you can probably strip out the dog yourself. Settle into a pattern, and off you go. You can probably google how to strip a terrier. You're right though - even with an experienced groomer it'll take about 2-3 hours, and probably cost more than the E30 you've been quoted if the groomer's any good...

Hope this helps!

Advertisement