Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potty Training Boys

Options
  • 27-06-2011 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭

Hi I am about to start potty training my 2 year 8 month old son tomorrow. Any tips?? My little girl was no bother but I am anticipating problems with my boy. Any and all tips are most welcome. Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Had to abandon first attempt. The potty seat on the toilet was not secure enough. I have aquired a more secure seat - will start again on Monday morning - fingers X'd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

i found the musical potty great, it even had a flushing handle. my goys were 3 and 1/4 and 3 1/2 before they wre trained 100%

take your time dont rush it. both of my lads preferred standing up to do wees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

As a mum and childminder I'm well into double figures for the number of toddlers mostly boys that I've helped toilet train. Most were at least 3 years old. Some people toilet time thinking they're toilet training but there's a big difference. Good luck with it.

SUCCESS!!! I was just about to give up after 1 and a half weeks, when I saw a novelty soap. I put the soap on top of the shower door where he could see it, but not reach it. I told him "every time you get a pee pee or poo poo into the toilet we can use the special soap". IT WORKED!!!!

Thanks for all your suggestions - they relaxed me alot - which was probably part of the problem too. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

That's great, I like a child that's open to bribery ahem incentives :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

deisemum wrote: »
    As a mum and childminder I'm well into double figures for the number of toddlers mostly boys that I've helped toilet train. Most were at least 3 years old. Some people toilet time thinking they're toilet training but there's a big difference. Good luck with it.
    Deisemum, have you any general tips on what worked for you? My lad is only two so we're nowhere near potty training. Apart from him physically not being ready, we've a house move and a new baby on the way, so I think we'll be leaving his potty training until summer next year when he'll be going on 3. All I remember of my brother being potty trained was my mum letting him run semi-naked around the garden in summer and giving him a sweetie every time he peeed in the potty! I prefer Cofy's bribe, better on the teeth!

Deisemum, have you any general tips on what worked for you? My lad is only two so we're nowhere near potty training. Apart from him physically not being ready, we've a house move and a new baby on the way, so I think we'll be leaving his potty training until summer next year when he'll be going on 3. All I remember of my brother being potty trained was my mum letting him run semi-naked around the garden in summer and giving him a sweetie every time he peeed in the potty! I prefer Cofy's bribe, better on the teeth!

Good luck with everything you have going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

cofy wrote: »
    Good luck with everything you have going on.
    Thanks cofy, sure it's great crack! Mad thing is, despite everything my blood pressure is behaving itself perfectly - last time I had sweet FA going on in my life and the BP just kept going up and up. I think being stressed is my natural state!

And good luck with the training, hope it stays dry for you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 merchant07

have just started training pur youngest boy aged 2 1/2 about 50/50 at the moment with making it to the potty and doing it in the potty.A bit harder this time he is our youngest of 4 as he has a language delay but definitely ready as he seems to have some control .Think he will take longer than other 3 as he hasnt the commincation skills as much as tehy had.He gets one choc button for doing his wee or poop in the potty.He just did a big poop in the potty so making progress.Cute enough said this morning ' no pants Mama nappy'

merchant07 wrote: »
    have just started training pur youngest boy aged 2 1/2 about 50/50 at the moment with making it to the potty and doing it in the potty.A bit harder this time he is our youngest of 4 as he has a language delay but definitely ready as he seems to have some control .Think he will take longer than other 3 as he hasnt the commincation skills as much as tehy had.He gets one choc button for doing his wee or poop in the potty.He just did a big poop in the potty so making progress.Cute enough said this morning ' no pants Mama nappy'

My son has a language delay as well. This is why I was anticipating problems, although his speach has improved a great deal over the last few weeks. Like your son, he at the start looked to have the nappies back again but said "cool" and "I did it whippee!!!" once he started to get the knack of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

merchant07 wrote: »

How do you know whether they have control or not?

How do you know whether they have control or not?

Maybe he is indicating that he may need the potty or Trial and error.

Advertisement