Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gluten + Dairy free dessert?

Options
  • 27-06-2011 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

Am looking for some suggestions - I am going to a small dinner party and have been asked to make a dessert to bring along, only thing is it needs to be both gluten free and dairy free, and having never catered for either, I am curious as to what sort of thing I can prepare!

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

jendafer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,457 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

jendafer1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Am looking for some suggestions - I am going to a small dinner party and have been asked to make a dessert to bring along, only thing is it needs to be both gluten free and dairy free, and having never catered for either, I am curious as to what sort of thing I can prepare!

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks,

jendafer
    A fresh fruit jelly with prosecco? Mark Hix did one for the great British menu a good few years back but its amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

You might get more ideas in the nutrition and diet forum, who talk a lot about avoiding certain food groups etc.

If you are allowed to use eggs, you can bake a cake using gluten free flour or almond/rice/coconut flour. Or, one I used to make from the BBC website for my friend who could not eat gluten or dairy was a lemon drizzle cake made with ground almonds and mashed potato (yes really). If you substitute butter for a dairy-free marg, and if you can use eggs, there are lots of options.

Another thing I used to make was apple fritters. Apples dipped in a batter made from rice flour and deep fried until golden. Serve with ice cream, or for the non-dairy person, soy ice cream or soy custard.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Or do a spiced tropical fruit salad.
    Get whatever 'fancy' fruit you can lay your hands on (I like pineapple, mango, strawberry) but don't use banana or apple.
    Make a dressing with the juice of a couple of limes and the insides of a couple of passionfriut, add some demerara sugar, some grated ginger, half a vanilla pod, a star anise, couple of green cardamon, a touch of black pepper and splash of light rum or tequila (optional).
    Let the dressing marinate for a few hours and pour over the chopped fruit to serve.
    You could serve this with sorbet or on its own.
    Lovely with Greek style yoghurt for the dairy eaters.

Or do a spiced tropical fruit salad.
    Get whatever 'fancy' fruit you can lay your hands on (I like pineapple, mango, strawberry) but don't use banana or apple.
    Make a dressing with the juice of a couple of limes and the insides of a couple of passionfriut, add some demerara sugar, some grated ginger, half a vanilla pod, a star anise, couple of green cardamon, a touch of black pepper and splash of light rum or tequila (optional).
    Let the dressing marinate for a few hours and pour over the chopped fruit to serve.
    You could serve this with sorbet or on its own.
    Lovely with Greek style yoghurt for the dairy eaters.
    Nicking that one

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

duploelabs wrote: »
    Nicking that one

Tis good and you can play around with the fruits and spices too - I've even put chilli flakes (sparingly) in it on occasion.
    Best if you can get palm sugar too (demarara is a reasonable substitute) - you'll get this in Indian shops.

• Advertisement

Tis good and you can play around with the fruits and spices too - I've even put chilli flakes (sparingly) in it on occasion.
    Best if you can get palm sugar too (demarara is a reasonable substitute) - you'll get this in Indian shops.

If you're going down the dairy route, leave a star anise and a clove in your cream overnight and then the next day remove them. when you whip the cream it will be flavoured with the spices

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

Sounds like the perfect occasion to make a meringue or pavlova! Then you could get soy yogurt or soy cream from health food store and whatever fruit you have to make it look pretty. Yum!

You could also check out some recipes for a flourless chocolate cake and just use dairyfree choc, again from a health store or I think fallon and byrne have some.

Ooooh, I might have to whip up some meringues myself now! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

If you can't use eggs then you'll be pretty restricted as to what you can make, unless you want to find egg/dairly replacements, which are pretty pricey. The troical salad that The Beer Revolu suggested sounds gorgeous, and would suit everyone I would imagine.

I came across an interesting dairy free whipped cream substitute last night, whipped coconut cream. Chill a tin of coconut milk/cream in the fridge overnight, it solidifies the cream and leaves coconut water at the base of the tin, seperate the two and whip the solidified cream with a little vanilla essence and you have a whipped cream alternative. I haven't tried it yet, but I imagine it would be gorgeous with chocolate mousse(here's one made with just water and chocolate) Just use a really good quality dairy free chocolate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

Speaking of coconut milk, it makes a brilliant and delicious sub for milk in a rice pudding. I know it's (maybe!) the wrong season for a hot pudding, but you could make something like Pear Belle Helene with it chilled? Some lovely fresh pears around now and PBH is a lovely light dessert that most people like.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

Oh thanks for all the amazing suggestions guys! I love this forum :)
    Am thinking I might go down the meringue route as the dinner party is across the city so that would be fairly easy to both make in advance and transport. That coconut cream substitute sounds delicious! I might give it a go and also bring some soy ice cream just in case!

Thanks again to everyone! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement