Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating

• 27-06-2011 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

I got my HPAT results and they are way not enough to get medicine. I know i still dont have my LC results, but im considering repeating anyway, because i dont really want to do science.

Can anyone recommend colleges or schools where you can repeat? I know IOE does the business, but its way too expensive for me, i cant afford it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

What about your own school? Dont all schools allow people to repeat? Providing you never caused trouble or anything you should be fine. Or even another local school. All you would need is a good reference from your old principal I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

+1 with Bbbbolger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

To be honest, Id recommend doing it yourself and using your old teachers.

I repeated in a repeat program and it was like deja vu! I didnt go in half the time as I studied at home or theyre study hall.

Again, depends on the person :)

Wait till ya get your results ..repeating is a big draining task.

Two years of my life have been spent in LC exam papers. Hopefully it'll be worth it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

My school doesnt allow repeats, not that I'd ever consider it, just saying that not all do.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ozzz

I know your question was where to repeat but I'll give you my 2 pence.

Repeating is a tough decision to make.

Try and see if there are other courses that you would be interested instead of spending a full year at it again.

However, if its what you really want to do, then there is nothing better than to go for it.

I was in the same position as you last year. I got 134 in the HPAT and 500+ in my LC but it wasn't enough. I got offered a place for maths in TCD but I thought I'd give medicine another shot, although I really like maths.

I repeated in a grind school in Limerick. I got an online course for the HPAT and stuck to that mainly from Nov/ Dec, took up 3 new subjects and for me the year flew by.

If you have the means, repeating in a grind school would be a much better idea. Its less boring because you are meeting new people, the messing in classes and study is generally a lot less, the entire course for every subject is covered intensively in one year and the teachers will do their best to help you in any way possible. However, you don't automatically lose out repeating in a public school. Many people do it and have done it.

Also, if you do decide to repeat, picking up one or two new subjects will take the boredom out of it and you will have a better shot at the LC especially if you are doing 7 subjects instead of 6. This way you will always have something to fall back on. Also the online course "M.....y" is very helpful for the HPAT.

I would personally advise taking up Business and Ag. Science but ONLY if you do Biology. The Business course is long and its all learning but it can also be interesting. Its a very achievable A1.

Again, I would really only advise repeating if Medicine is what you really want to do, but if you do have other interests, then think about that. If you repeat for the sake of it, you'll end up getting burnt out and become lazy. Personally, I was drained around Jan/ Feb and got very lazy.

Anyway after the LC finished a week ago I was dreading the HPAT results and I thought I would be the last person to improve dramatically in it. I went up 35 points and though I am not delighted, I am happy because I improved. Medicine is not going to happen for me this year again but its not the end of the world. It is disappointing not getting it this year but, you know, that's life.

For now anyway I think it'll be maths! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Iceuil

Thanks really much guys. I want to do either med or other allied health courses, but i did very badly in my exams. I dont really want to go to a public school, i would love to do some kinda intensive repeat course or whatever theyre called. I have heard of rathmines college and plunkett college, but i dont know about their standarts of teaching. I was actually thinking about studying at home, but my problem is project maths and new texts for english.

Well, repeating is not my only option. If i get enough points for other courses on my cao then ill consider them. But i dont really want to do science, coz when i think about it the first thing that comes to my mind is me being without a proper job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Iceuil wrote: »
    Thanks really much guys. I want to do either med or other allied health courses, but i did very badly in my exams. I dont really want to go to a public school, i would love to do some kinda intensive repeat course or whatever theyre called. I have heard of rathmines college and plunkett college, but i dont know about their standarts of teaching. I was actually thinking about studying at home, but my problem is project maths and new texts for english.

Well, repeating is not my only option. If i get enough points for other courses on my cao then ill consider them. But i dont really want to do science, coz when i think about it the first thing that comes to my mind is me being without a proper job.

Do you know for sure you did as badly in the exam as you think?
    Wait til the results are out and consider your options then. Don't change any of your CAO preferences, until the results are out you don't know for sure how you did.
    Rathmines and Plunket Colleges are both VEC schools under City of Dublin VEC - there are people who do very well there, there are people who don't - it's really up to the work you put in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

It's a bit of a gamble. It could work provided you put the effort in. I know someone who came out with less points in a repeat LC year despite working longer hours. Could you not just pick a degree course you are qualified for instead? At least that leaves the graduate option open. You might even lose interest in medicine over the coming years. Who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Darragh En

Sup! Firstly, sorry to hear that you weren't happy with your HPAT results, I know many like you.

I received 505 in my LC last year, and 133 in the HPAT. I've just finished repeating at Limerick Tutorial College, and if you could afford the 6.5g fees, and accommodation, I would strongly recommend it.

With the work there, as well as the online ******** course, I received 186 in my HPAT yesterday, and I am hopeful of 600 in the LC. I've really enjoyed the year, since Christmas especially.

It's certainly worth considering, and with so many repeats and so many aiming for Medicine, it's encouraging to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I was in the same position last year as you are now.

I'd put down Medicine everywhere and other Health-related courses and got offered Science in Trinity. I was really surprised Biomedical Science went up by so much in Galway but it really was an important lesson research everything you put on your CAO form. I suppose the Science degree kind of frightened me, I thought I would not be good enough and actually I'm putting it down this year :P

Repeating itself is a tough decision to make and it isn't one to make lightly. Everyone has been absolutely correct here so far I think in that you should wait until your results come out - don't give up on your CAO and submit one you're absolutely happy with. You never know what could happen :) You don't know what mindset/situation you'll find yourself in when results come out.

I repeated at a grinds school this year. Bear in mind there's a lot of variety between them all - some can even have really bad teachers, so try to talk to a balanced, intelligent previous pupil if you can. Also, a lot of really high points achievers (in my opinion) could actually get the points anywhere. If some of the people in my class had gone to a normal school I'm convinced they could do just as well- they'd just bought into the idea that grinds schools are somehow better.

Saying that there are advantages, most notably taking up new subjects. Bear in mind that applying for Medicine you will still have to do English, Irish and Maths again in 2012. That also means new Irish, English and Maths courses (although I'm sure Ordinary levels would be okay, Irish could be tricky with new Prose, etc.) Supervised study was, for me, a massive bonus because it can be so difficult to study in a quiet, distraction-free environment at home (Local libraries are great too though!!) You need to research subjects and teachers- it sounds nonsensical, but a lot of people think that because they're paying it's guaranteed they'll do well.

I don't regret going back. I knew that it was the right decision for me, even if it was difficult watching all my friends go on to college. Don't let that be a factor in your decision - groups WILL be split up anyway. I was talking to a friend at UCD last night, he only saw our other friend once over the course of the year on campus! I just hope it was worth it this year, but ultimately I have no regrets now and know that I can hand-on-heart say that I gave it 100% effort.

Regarding the HPAT our school offered a prep class and I did go up. I was more relaxed this year and found it easier; whether that's due to being older or doing a course, I don't know. Even if you can work through psychometric testing books and the sample papers, it helps. Last year I organised all the Med applicants in my school to come together and work through a sample paper. We timed, attempted questions and helped explain them to each other. It helped so much, and just as much as the course I think. Really you've got to approach HPAT like another subject with careful planning and practice to be honest. It could also be affected by the bonus points for HL Maths from next year.

Going back was really difficult. Try to imagine yourself in a new classroom, doing a really, really boring and easy topic like Algebra all over again. You have to be absolutely focused, as well as having a good support network because it isn't an easy year by any means. Having said that it does go rather quickly, I can't believe I'm done already! Yet the subjects I loved last year and did well in I feel I could have actually done worse because I'm completely sick of them at Leaving Certificate level. My new subject actually provided a bit of a break!

And last but not least, I don't want to put you off - but are you sure that you can do it? Or that you are at least capable? Some people were 3rd time repeats in my year and I really admire their determination, but you have to be realistic. If you think you can do it, I'd say go for it, grinds school or public. It sounds crazy but I tried to imagine myself when I was like 40- and the last thing I wanted to be saying to myself was "I wish I'd done that!"

You've still got lots of time to decide! And there are lots more paths to Medicine! Stay positive, either way; I'll be sad if I don't get Medicine this year after repeating but I'm healthy and happy, and it's all that really matters :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

I just finished the four year natural science course in Trinity... And I'm now going back to repeat the leaving cert in September in hopes of medicine...
    I applied to Rathmines college today, they seem pretty legit. I chose it over Plunketts college as it only does repeat LC (It's not a '5th and 6th form college') so I thought it might be a bit more serious...
    Here's hoping!

Advertisement