Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HARVEY NORMAN

• 27-06-2011 10:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭

Hi all

purchased acer aspire computer back in jan 2011 from harvey norman

it has presented hardware related issues over the past few weeks

been in to them twice with it and they sent it off to acer twice for repairs..... both temporary fixes

how do i stand for a complete refund / if not proceeding to small claims court

regards brian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

If you are sold faulty goods, then the seller has an obligation to remedy the matter. The options available are the famous 3Rs: repair, replace, or refund.

In general, if you accept the offer of a repair, and that fails, the seller has the choice of giving you a replacement or refunding your money.

My approach in such a case is controlled escalation. I would tell Harvey Norman that a repair is no longer an acceptable option, given that there have been two failed efforts, and ask them what they propose to do. If they insist on trying another repair, I would put my refusal in writing and ask them make an appropriate offer to remedy the position or I would be forced to take legal action.

In my experience, being calm and formal tends to work very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

thanks p

hi all just collected it from second 'repair' they claim acer say theres nothing wrong with it ..... where to go from here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Small claims court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,795 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

hi all just collected it from second 'repair' they claim acer say theres nothing wrong with it ..... where to go from here?

How is it faulty exactly?

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    How is it faulty exactly?

will completely freeze up at erratic times

maybe after 5 hours maybe after 5 mins

ran system restore to get rid of everything and problem remains so definately not software / virus related but rather an actual problem with the machine itself

brian

will completely freeze up at erratic times

maybe after 5 hours maybe after 5 mins

ran system restore to get rid of everything and problem remains so definately not software / virus related but rather an actual problem with the machine itself

brian

harvey norman / acer letting on they cant find anything wrong with it after 4 days of continuous use :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Had a similar problem with a TV, called their head office to speak with a girl in customer issues. She was excellent and dealt directly with the manager of the Harvey Norman branch and arranged for me to pick up a new TV that weekend. I found the branch useless to deal with and verging on rude. !:(

Hope this works for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,795 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If it's that erratic maybe it didn't act up when it was sent off. Did you include any peripherals that may be causing it to freeze, or does it just freeze with nothing attached?

Google the model number and the symptoms.

Maybe it is a known fault.

thanks xalot but at this stage i'd be looking for no less than complete refund :mad:

boggles already done and dusted unfortunately problem remains even when no new hardware / printer / hard drives etc are installed after system reset

machine is banjaxed after 5 months of light use :confused:

• Advertisement

anyone know how am i fixed if they say they cant find the fault after testing? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Can I ask, which Acer one was it?

I also purchased an Acer machine in January from Harvey Normans and lately there have been a few issues with it. I bought the Acer Aspire 5551.

It restarts by itself, it freezes sometimes, the sound is totally mucked up, sometimes it runs really, really slowly and I end up having to turn it off then back on before it works properly.

hi purple its acer aspire x3400

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Sounds like dodgy RAM. My wife has an Acer that was bluescreening at random times, especially when viewing Youtube videos. I replaced a stick of RAM with a known good RAM module that I bought off eBay and that sorted the problem.

Hope that helps :)

Advertisement