Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Graphics The Future

• 27-06-2011 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭

I have been a avid gamer since the Atari days, with my xbox I really cannot see how much more the graphics can improve in the games industry as much the leaps from generation to generation had been in the recent past.

Would younger gamers notice such a big difference or is it because I'm 30+ and have an older perspective of gaming?

Comments

Well making games actual 1080 lines of resolution would be a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

I have been gaming since the mid 80s, yet I think they can improve. I may never see it, but I would look forward to the day where gaming has become so immersive that you have to quickly disconnect just to see a difference between the gaming world & reality. I remember using VR ( when that was big in the mid 90s), in part of a game I was playing I stood on a platform that raised/lowered. I got butterflies in my stomach as I descended. The graphics were terrible but good enough for it to be a believable world.

I look forward to when it becomes more immersive as opposed to sitting 7ft from an obvious screen. When I lifted off the VR headset it was so disorienting to be presented with a completely different space in the knowledge I hadn't moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I would try to post this question on the PC Forum and see the responses you'd get :)

In all seriousness, though. Crysis 2 is one of the best looking games on the XBox 360, it is the sequel to a game that was held as the benchmark for Gaming PCs for years "Can your PC run Crysis ... Yeah, but with eveything enabled?".

When Crysis 2 was releases on the PC, fans of the series lost the plot at how dumbed down the graphics were and how 'ugly' the game was. The game makers were savaged by the fans for selling out, they initially denied that they would do any work to upgrade the PC version, but eventually listened and are releasing a "Megapatch" this week to bump the graphics up to the level the Gaming PC über-Race are used to.

The changes are subtle, but add depth and reflection to certain textures that the experience a bit more realistic.

(http://secure.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=32220)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaffusmaximus

I posted here as console are much more accessible than cutting edge PC's that would cost me a kidney :D. I feel to justify forking out for a new console the difference of graphical capabilities would want to be massive especially if I am to be playing on it for probably 6 years plus!
    I have read the current console are having a drag effect on PC graphics as they need to translated to them.
    Also with PC's I found I don't notice graphical advancement as much as consoles as they creep in with each graphics card release whereas a console has a few years between each generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,214 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I really do see the future jump in gaming as being in total immersion - not higher resolutions and fancy effects. We've had that for years. It's really time for another big shift. Developers need to realize that.

Hell, we had VR back in the 90s with the Virtuality arcade machine. Many console developers back then were trying it out too..it's just that the hardware wasn't there and the framerate was too low so it didn't take off.

Imagine the combination of our current PC technology, head tracking VR, motion tracking/gun perhiperals and some other interesting innovations knocking about (smell technology for example)..you really could have something amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

The "next" generation of consoles will support DX11 and will probably perform similarly to current gaming PCs.

You have to bare in mind that consoles are designed to bring gaming to the masses. I've recently built a pretty nice gaming rig but I have to admit, I still perfer playing on the xbox. It's a level playing field with virtually no hacking or modding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

o1s1n wrote: »
    I really do see the future jump in gaming as being in total immersion - not higher resolutions and fancy effects. We've had that for years. It's really time for another big shift. Developers need to realize that.

Hell, we had VR back in the 90s with the Virtuality arcade machine. Many console developers back then were trying it out too..it's just that the hardware wasn't there and the framerate was too low so it didn't take off.

Imagine the combination of our current PC technology, head tracking VR, motion tracking/gun perhiperals and some other interesting innovations knocking about (smell technology for example)..you really could have something amazing.

I would totally agree, total emmersion is the way to go. Looking at the WiiU demos where the tablet is held up in front of your face and as you track the tablet your basically using it as a moveable "window" to the gaming world and it does strike me as something to be persued. A glasses interface a kin to the one you can buy now that give the illusion of a large screen viewed at a couple feet distance would be great. As your head moved the image on sceen relates that to your POV on the X /Y /Z axis and displays the appropriate images, could be done through IR point tracking on the glasses or through gyroscope sensors. With additions like kinect you rould use the same tech to track arm / body movement also allowing you to manipulate the on screen avatar appendages / body.

eg - COD where you turn your actual head and in game your POV relates to your actual head positon, likewise with your arm movements.

The biggest stumble block with this is the meaty part - us.
    Would we play for hours on end if we had to actually perform all the on screen actions??? Perhaps not.

Maybe a better way to do this would be keeping the glasses visual interface while incorperating some kind of neural control. It would allow us to view and percieve the world in immersive VR, controll this with minimal physicall barriers in the way all while not being as draining as performing gestures 1:1.

Dont think its sci fi or pie in the sky, advanced forms of neural interfaces are already in use and basic forms are already at retail.
    This is an example of basic neural interfaces and general coolness.... (so much want)
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10356484-1.html
    Another retail version which is more complex can befound here, you can dev apps for the device or download them including games so as a concept for simple games it is entirely possible.

http://www.emotiv.com/

So to get to this stage we would need to oversome a number of things namely processing power for this would be quite large so some adavnces would be needed here - then the neural interface tech would need to come on in a big way. Right now it can sense activity in the brain in terms of electrical impulses BUT these are in lab conditions. A home use real world system would have to deal with the changes in output of brain activity through stress etc whilst also being practical enough for every day use and be cost efective.

With rumours spreading that MS will reveal the new console this time next year @ E3 2012 (check eurogamer) and MS clear want to remove as many barrers to putting you in the game as possible it would be an exciting step for them to take and one I would gladly take with them. Imgine truely being in the game, controlling everything your used to do with a controller with only your mind. Imagine the games we play now doing this... very nice indeed but then expand that image to what COULD be done. Open world sand box game like Shenmue which would truely emmerse you, you play an average normal guy who develops telekinectic powers and using the neural interface thats exactly what it would feel like. An odd turn about where the fanatasy of the game has now been flipped into the reality. No longer are you using a controller to replicate whats on screen but the reverse is happning where whats on screen is replicating what your controlling. An thats just from a casual observer like me, just think of what creative and tallented developers could so with such a tech system in place.

Advertisement