Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a small dog

• 27-06-2011 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking to get a small dog for my mum - It'd have to be something small but with a good temprament. She's asthmatic so I'm looking for something that doesn't shed too much. I'm thinking of a bichon frise or King Charles ??
    What do you think ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Well a Bichon doesnt really shed so that might be the best option.

Be aware though, as they dont shed, they need to be groomed every 6-8 weeks or so to keep their coat in good condition as they have to be trimmed.

I personally would recommend the Cavalier as a pet but maybe the Bichon might suit due to circumstances with the asthma.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

I love the cavaliers myself and that would be my first choice - do they shed alot ??

All non shed dogs do shed, and some shed a lot more than you think they would, even with short hair.
    Ive never owned a Cav so i cant really comment on how much they shed but someone else might be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/lightshedders.htm

Good list of light shedders there, I recommend schnauzers, gorgeous little dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

Cavaliers shed alot, wel mine do anyway..
    Would you consider something like a cavalier crossed with a bichon? Cavashons there called, gawjus lil dogs and non shed.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

amandaf675 wrote: »
    Would you consider something like a cavalier crossed with a bichon? Cavashons there called, gawjus lil dogs and non shed.. :D

No, they're not called Cavashons, there is no such thing, there may well be irresponsible breeders crossing the two breeds, and using a made up term to describe them, but what they are is a cav/bichon cross. You cannot guarantee what they are going to look like, and whether or not they will be 'gawjus lil dogs' because they are crosses of two very different breeds. Neither parent will have been health tested because responsible, reputable breeders won't cross their dogs with other breeds, so with the cavalier especially, this could lead to real health problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

Based on personal experience, i would quite strongly recommend a Shih-Tzu.

Very intelligent, Very demonstrative, and good-natured.

Downsides: Can require quite a lot of grooming, may require a lot of interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

there just the same as the labradoodles, which are now a recognised breed!

And Shih-tzus are great. have one myself. they never grow up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Westie's could be an option -They don't shed and are very inteligent but on the temperment front they can be a bit hit or miss ,need a strong willed owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Avoid these so called designer breeds, usually bred by puppy farmers which you can read all about here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056295154

Iv never owned either breed you mentioned but I do know from other people that they are both very clingy breeds so not suited to someone who is away from home a lot. They are both also very popular puppy farm dogs so please be very careful who you buy one off and do your research. They are both also quite popular dogs so do both regularly come up in rescues and pounds if this is something you would consider. With an older dog you will already know it's temperment and often it will sometimes already be housetrained (which I have heard with bichons can be difficult).

Also does your mum know about this idea? Not trying to intrude but it would probably be best to to include her and see does she actually want a dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Recognized with who? :confused: The IKC do not recognise these as a breed.

there just the same as the labradoodles, which are now a recognised breed! And Shih-tzus are great. have one myself. they never grow up :D

Eh sorry to break the bad news, but no they arent a recognised breed at all.

Cavachons are so called designer made up breeds bred by puppy farmers to make money and nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

As other posters have pointed out, no they are not a recognised breed, in fact, guide dog societies, who first bred them, seem to be moving away from them, back to the more traditional labs and retrievers.

OP, if you want to get a little dog, there is no problem with crossbreeds at all, if you find one that you like in a rescue, or a friend has an accidental litter or something, just don't be duped into paying hundreds of euros for a cross breed with a made up name:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Cavichon gets my vote, great little dog and not much hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MichelleGx

Why not check out whats in a resuce centre near by? Theres lots of dogs needing homes out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 does not compute

Yorkshire or Cairn Terrier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭mr lee

get a bullsh*t,cross between a bulldog and a shih-tzu

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Would recommend a Shih Tzu, dont shed much as long as you groom them regularly and lovely little dog

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭lace

Yorkshire Terriers are lovely little dogs and don't really shed. They sometimes have a bit of a reputation for being yappy but when properly trained they make lovely pets. Very intelligent, loyal and often quite independant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Westie's could be an option -They don't shed and are very inteligent but on the temperment front they can be a bit hit or miss ,need a strong willed owner.

Nope, afraid not ;) I have a Westie and go to work every morning dressed in an over coat of fine white hairs :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'd go for a Shih Tzu myself. Lovely dogs, great temperament, and fantastic company. They can be hard to potty-train, and do require a lot of grooming.

Nothing to do with the fact I've got one myself....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

I have a cavalier and they shed a lot but other than that they are a fantastic pet, unfortunately tho I dont think that a cavalier wud be suitable for your purposes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

pugs are great little dogs and don't require as much exercise as some of the other dogs mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭greengirl31

Hey All, Thanks for the replies - certinally alot to think about.

Yeah, my mum knows - we had a Begal/King Charles cross (accidental litter) up till a couple of years ago and he was a gorgeous dog. I'm not really one for designer breeds cause I think they come with a whole heap of health issues. As well as that, she's getting it as company and has no intention of breeding - whatever she gets will be Nutered at 6/9 mths - I'd be happy to go for a rescue dog but the shedding thing is an issue. With My Mum's Asthma, she really needs something that has minimal shedding. It never occured to me the amount of grooming the Shih tzu & Bichon's required but I'll have a chat with her before we do anything ...
    Thanks again for taking the time to respond

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Thought it was the dander from animals skin that triggers reactions rather than the hair itself? No such thing as a dog that doesn't shed though even the non-shed variety can do I mean the hair has to come off somewhere.

She needs to first check that she's not going to react to whatever dog she chooses so she will have to visit the dog or pup a few times before hand to make sure it doesn't affect her.

Advertisement