Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public v Private - what's the difference?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

CUMH is always packed, you get what you're given.

On the night we went in with #1, we were in a 4 bed with 1 suspiciously quiet person, 1 person that talked to everyone on the planet on their mobile and left it on when they weren't in the room, and 1 weird loud lady who may have been praying in Creole or summoning demons from Cavan, it was hard to tell.

Mildly annoying but not the end of the world, in fact the distraction might have helped just a tad, cos the wife was in agony with a baby facing the wrong way, and we were both absolutely knackered having managed the process ourselves for over 24 hours.

Babs was born at 0630 and we were shunted into a 2 bed. Had the room to ourselves most of the day, and a quiet lady was moved in in the evening. Fecked off home the next day at lunchtime.

Wife says we were lucky, and probably looked after a little since it was #1, however again, a lot of it is the luck of the draw. You could go private and do worse if it's very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

hi aine sorry only getting back to you now,
    seems i was lucky so getting into a two-bed when i was public ...
    what i didn't add earlier (felt i was going on enough at that stage) was due to my prev history of delivery no1, after delivery no2 i did see a phsyio the morning i was in cumh who had fab advise and she offered me her details if i wanted to 'drop in to see her' again - tbh i would have done if i lived closer but sure i managed with the old pelvic floor exercises (so do them btw )
    re the breastfeeding - i had previously fed my daughter with no problems but my son was a different kettle of fish and straight off, we had massive problems - when i asked for help/guidance i got a young nurse (who i doubt had any experience tbh) who was very rough and not at all helpful - was partly why i went home that first morning - i knew i had booklets in the attic that could help me from a lactation consultant that i went to see when i was pregnant with my first .... i ended up going through three weeks of utter agongy but with the help of a fab local phn we got sorted and if you are considering bf it was a classic advert for sticking it out cos in the finish i ended up bf him for way longer than my daughter and he was grand once we got it established ..but the hospital were absolutly no help. hope this helps somewhat :)

Advertisement