Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical students who are eligible for HEAR

• 27-06-2011 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi all. I know some people are in the depths of despair today because of a poor HPAT score (myself included) but to those of you who have done well, congratulations :)

I was just wondering: For those of you who have done the HPAT, applied for Medicine and were deemed eligible for HEAR, what score did you get in the HPAT?

Also, if you've repeated the HPAT this year, what did you get in your Leaving Certificate last year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Evaa

Dr. Ring wrote: »
    Hi all. I know some people are in the depths of despair today because of a poor HPAT score (myself included) but to those of you who have done well, congratulations :)

I was just wondering: For those of you who have done the HPAT, applied for Medicine and were deemed eligible for HEAR, what score did you get in the HPAT?

Also, if you've repeated the HPAT this year, what did you get in your Leaving Certificate last year?

hi. i'm eligible for hear. what score did you get in hpat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Dr. Ring

Evaa wrote: »

150...I'm sickened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 peckingduck

Hey, I'm eligible for DARE, not sure if it works the same...but I got a score of 182, pretty delighted :)

Hey, I'm eligible for DARE, not sure if it works the same...but I got a score of 182, pretty delighted :)

It's similar but I'm just asking HEAR people.

COngratulations though Bud. That's a great score :)

Evaa wrote: »

What did you get?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 LouiseOD

Hello there! :)

I was hoping that someone would start a thread along these lines - I was wondering the same thing. Checking out the competition is always important ;)

I got 153 in my HPAT which was pretty disappointing especially as I don't think I did as well as I'd have hoping in the LC.

Good luck to everyone applying through HEAR for Med. Can I ask which college you're applying for?

Personally, I have UCC and NUIG down, I'm not hopeful for either anymore! :(

Thinking maybe about repeating...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Holly123.

It's all so depressing, i did fine in the Hpat, but after doing the leaving cert i was convinced i would only be getting close to 500 points, and i accepted i wouldnt be doing medicine, now is all reopened!! im sick of stupid hope, i just wish everything was on the same day!!

LouiseOD wrote: »
    Hello there! :)

I was hoping that someone would start a thread along these lines - I was wondering the same thing. Checking out the competition is always important ;)

I got 153 in my HPAT which was pretty disappointing especially as I don't think I did as well as I'd have hoping in the LC.

Good luck to everyone applying through HEAR for Med. Can I ask which college you're applying for?

Personally, I have UCC and NUIG down, I'm not hopeful for either anymore! :(

Thinking maybe about repeating...

I'm applying for UCC, NUIG, TCD, UCD and RCSI... Unless HEAR works miracles I'm not too optimistic either :( we'll see.............

As for repeating, do u mean the HPAT or LC? If it's the latter i wouldn advise it :P

I'm applying for UCC, NUIG, TCD, UCD and RCSI... Unless HEAR works miracles I'm not too optimistic either :( we'll see.............

As for repeating, do u mean the HPAT or LC? If it's the latter i wouldn advise it :P

At the moment, I'm considering both! :)

To be perfectly honest, I did very well in my pre exams (best in my year :D), but then I kind of lost my motivation and became a bit lazy. I don't think I nailed any of the A grades I was seeking! :(

If I repeat, I'm pretty sure that I would be getting the 600 and while I'm at it I will repeat the HPAT with a lot more practice (and a prep course if I can afford it). The only thing thats turning me off repeating is the reaction of my family - none of them will be impressed!

Any particular reason why you're against repeating LC? Are you a repeat student yourself?

LouiseOD wrote: »
    At the moment, I'm considering both! :)

To be perfectly honest, I did very well in my pre exams (best in my year :D), but then I kind of lost my motivation and became a bit lazy. I don't think I nailed any of the A grades I was seeking! :(

If I repeat, I'm pretty sure that I would be getting the 600 and while I'm at it I will repeat the HPAT with a lot more practice (and a prep course if I can afford it). The only thing thats turning me off repeating is the reaction of my family - none of them will be impressed!

Any particular reason why you're against repeating LC? Are you a repeat student yourself?

The only thing is you cannot be guaranteed that you would improve your LC score. Just because the exams went your way this year doesn't mean they will in 2011/2012. Your score could theoretically go down and then you'll have wasted an entire year of your life.

I'm not a repeat student, I got 530 last year and I refuse to repeat. Had an awful LC year. My friend who got 515 did repeat but I thought that was lunacy. Everyone to their own I suppose :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Yo. This applied to me last year but should give ye some insight. I got 154 in ze HPAT and 560 LC wise. So 706 over all and got into Trinity. I think that was the lowest out of the HEAR group in my class. I imagine it'd be a bit lower for the other colleges, maybe 700 at a stretch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

theowen wrote: »
    Yo. This applied to me last year but should give ye some insight. I got 154 in ze HPAT and 560 LC wise. So 706 over all and got into Trinity. I think that was the lowest out of the HEAR group in my class. I imagine it'd be a bit lower for the other colleges, maybe 700 at a stretch?

So you got like 25 points off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Jaafa wrote: »
    So you got like 25 points off?
    Yerp. I was quite shocked. I was expecting to see Vet Med on the ol' CAO, as I got just enough points and then boom, TCD medicine. Slightly happy so I was...

theowen wrote: »
    Yerp. I was quite shocked. I was expecting to see Vet Med on the ol' CAO, as I got just enough points and then boom, TCD medicine. Slightly happy so I was...

Nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 HEAR20

Hi,
    I've applied for the HEAR Scheme for medicine 2011 and after getting my hpat results I am hoping to get a place to study medicine through the HEAR Scheme in September. I have just been offered a job by my uncle to work in London for half of July and all of August, this would mean that I would be unable to make the orientation week for the HEAR Scheme. If there is anybody out there who has gone through the HEAR Scheme could you let me know if there is any flexibility on the orientation week or if you miss it are you automatically ineligible for the scheme ie. can they just take your place from you if you miss the week?
    Thanks.

The only thing is you cannot be guaranteed that you would improve your LC score. Just because the exams went your way this year doesn't mean they will in 2011/2012. Your score could theoretically go down and then you'll have wasted an entire year of your life.

I'm not a repeat student, I got 530 last year and I refuse to repeat. Had an awful LC year. My friend who got 515 did repeat but I thought that was lunacy. Everyone to their own I suppose :)

I totally agree...I could repeat and still do worse than the first time around. Its a chance I'll have to take if I do repeat. I don't mean to sound arrogant in saying that I'll get 600 if I repeat. I just know that another year with the courses will result in a big improvement, even if the exams went against me.

I'm not even sure if I got that much! At the moment, after thinking about it, I'm now leaning towards Biomed! I'm finding difficult to make any decisions at the moment, not knowing what my results are going to be. I think I'll just have to wait and see how I feel about my Leaving Cert.

Sorry about the delay in responding too! I've had a busy few weeks! :)

Does anyone know how I can change my address for this? I moved house you see. Will I just email them or is it ok to change it in my CAO?

Advertisement