Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foster child and child support

Options
  • 27-06-2011 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping some of the foster parents out there can help me. My husband has a 14 year old son from a previous relationship who is going into foster case due to an alacholic mother. We'd love to take him but are moving with our jobs to NY and his going into Junoir Cert year and I don't think we could get him to come, he's never really left the small town he's from.

Currently he's living with the tempory family, and we're still paying child support to his mother who has nothing to do with him currently. We want to stop that payment, but don't want to get in trouble for not paying child support any more. What do we do in this case? Do foster parents claim child support from the childs parent(s)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Christ the poor lad. A useless mother and a father more interested in his own life and not in being a parent and a step-parent who has no interest either and your both swanning off to the other side of the planet and looking to end the financial obligations.

I suggest you get your spouse to go and speak to the social worker assigned to his son's case as they will be able to tell him what is and is not possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

humans, the greatest shower of bastards going :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Oh wow oh wow oh wow. I just don't even know what to say to this. That poor kid.

Why have the social workers placed him in foster care when he has a father and stepmother?

That sounds way off the mark, number one.

Secondly, his dad knows that he is in trouble and is just going to up and leave to NYC. FFS.

You know what....Im going to shut up. Too mad at you to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Stepmomm wrote: »
    I'm hoping some of the foster parents out there can help me. My husband has a 14 year old son from a previous relationship who is going into foster case due to an alacholic mother. We'd love to take him but are moving with our jobs to NY and his going into Junoir Cert year and I don't think we could get him to come, he's never really left the small town he's from.

Currently he's living with the tempory family, and we're still paying child support to his mother who has nothing to do with him currently. We want to stop that payment, but don't want to get in trouble for not paying child support any more. What do we do in this case? Do foster parents claim child support from the childs parent(s)?

Why is his dad leaving him in foster care and moving away? 14 year olds kinda need their dads to look after them in times of crisis, if the poor lad can't depend on his dad now, when can he ever hope to depend on him?

If it is court ordered, your husband can apply to to the court to have the maintenance order changed.

Your husband would probably have difficulty moving his son out of this country even if the boy was willing to go the USA - the court would be unlikely to move him that far from his mother - it is usually considered to be in the childs best interest to have both parents in the same country. The state considers the needs of the child to be paramount, even when the childs parents do not rate their childs needs above their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

This is the sort of situation that should make you put your moving plans on hold! What is more important, a job or his child???? It is a no brainer, to most, but if you were to choose the job I would say not to expect the child to give his father any respect in his adult years, and rightly so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Well this went well.

OP: you got your advice - talk to the social worker or the court if it's a maintenance order.

I'm closing this before it gets any worse.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement