Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flowrider in Tramore

• 27-06-2011 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Rumours going around that there could be big plans to get a Flowrider in Tramore, google it and you will know what i am on about! Also a Tony Hawk skatepark in same building. All meant to be located in field beside Lidos pizza, across from the promonade! Would be unreal if it came to light?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

I'd love to see it happening, but for some reason i do see it happening at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Why would you need a flowrider when you have the ocean right there!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

scout353 wrote: »
    Why would you need a flowrider when you have the ocean right there!!!!!!

I'd say because people would like to try it in a controlled environment rather then take a chance in the ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

cococoady wrote: »
    I'd say because people would like to try it in a controlled environment rather then take a chance in the ocean.

And after trying one recently it has nothing to do with surfing, totally different experience all together. SO i think it will attract a whole lot of people and heres hoping it will get the go ahead. And with the skatepark to go with it Tramore needs something exactly like this!!

Looks like the rumors were true, check out the front page of the News and Star!

Now there are more than a few whispers circling that there will be a few people objecting based on the fact the view will be ruined out their back garden! Are these guys serious??

This is going to bring millions to Tramore, lets hope it goes off without a hitch!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

it seems there will always be objectors who can object mainly on grounds of NIMBYism. I think the system is being abused. Tramore badly needs to improve its product yet how many of these things which could have improved its product have been blocked. The hotel/golf course for one. This will be blocked too. Do these people want Tramore to be a vibrant seaside town or do they want it a windswept desolete place. My guess is that a lot of these people are in jobs which have a high-degree of job security such as working for the state, and dont care much about the local economy. Look at Brendan McCannt for example, seriel objector on 100k a year in the college, state guaranteed job.
    Added to that, i think some people in Tramore think they are living in some sort of seaside paradise where its heritage/architecture needs to be preserved, they are disillusioned.

Well said.

But I think this is different to the golf course. That was in the middle of Garess, pretty far from the town and no developments there! The Leisure Park however is on the beach, an area that has plenty of developments already. And it has to be better than the circus that is there for nearly 2 moths in the summer.

Who ever objects to this on NIMBY grounds should be ashamed of them selves. Do they not have kids? This thing will increase the youth of Tramore's activity which is never a bad thing.

Seriously pissed of if this doesn't go ahead because of a few mindless individuals!!!

This will be massive for Tramore if it goes ahead we will finally have a Niche in the tourism market in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

From reading the newspapers it sounds like it's a perfect fit for the town in terms of recreation/leisure, encourages off-season visitors to the town, could attract major events, create & secure jobs, and will clean up that area opposite the prom which has been sitting idle and dirty looking for at least a decade.

We should probably reserve judgement till the plans are made public, but it sounds like a win-win all round, hopefully it can go ahead. They said they could begin construction this year if it gets planning.

Unfortunately Tramore has its own serial objectors and I would be surprised if they didn't object to this. They objected to a previous development on that site although admittedly that included a 4-storey building which may have been too big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Increase the fee for a planning objection to €20,000 for anything that has the potential to create much needed jobs... that'll sort 'em. :pac:

This would be a great asset to the town... here's hoping.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Twoelles

This is fantastic news! Just what the town needs. It will however spoil my view a bit, but who cares...this could save Tramore from the fate its heading to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

totally agree i'm a tramore man and this is badly needed to regenerate the town again and attract more tourists and business to the town and place it back on the map again!!! i know one of the families that will object and if they do end up stopping this they should be ashamed of themselves just so they can have a view of an empty field and yes they do have kids but grown up!!! what they have to also remember is that the hydro was sat there when they moved into there houses until it was knocked over two decades ago and do they ever object to the circus's that block there view???

I have heard that they have a committee set up for the sole purpose of objecting. Maybe a committee should be set up to counter act these fools?? im sure if a number of local business' submit a POSITIVE planning objection (that the correct phrase??), then an Bord Penula (cant spell:P) will see sense...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

tbayers wrote: »
    I have heard that they have a committee set up for the sole purpose of objecting. Maybe a committee should be set up to counter act these fools?? im sure if a number of local business' submit a POSITIVE planning objection (that the correct phrase??), then an Bord Penula (cant spell:P) will see sense...
    set up camp outside the feckin eejits houses and see how they like that, or tar and feather the fools so as people know who the objectors of job creation are!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mickob16

Name and Shame those who are objecting.
    This is a fantastic opportunity for Tramore in terms of both employment and for attracting tourists to a town which if we're honest doesnt have a lot to offer tourists.Yes we have the amusements but you'd need a small mortgage to bring 2/3 kids there for a week on holidays.A better site for this development would be where the boating lake is.My God what an eyesore!! But i fear that those small minded people who only have their own interests at heart will stop this from going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

well the boating lake is owned by bord failte and its in use in the summer but in the winter it turns to crap with all the algae etc . i can not see any off this going ahead and with the prices for accom in the summer the way it is who will come to it ? 500 euro for a 2 bed apt in august , who would pay that for a trip to tramore . thats nearly enough for return flights to spain and back for a family of five i cant see why people would object the land is vacant bar having the circus in there every now and then in the summer months

the only tourism that we get in the summer is from the amusement park and from the beach maybe they should ugrade them before worrying about any other forms of new tourism

jamiecoins wrote: »
    well the boating lake is owned by bord failte and its in use in the summer but in the winter it turns to crap with all the algae etc . i can not see any off this going ahead and with the prices for accom in the summer the way it is who will come to it ? 500 euro for a 2 bed apt in august , who would pay that for a trip to tramore . thats nearly enough for return flights to spain and back for a family of five i cant see why people would object the land is vacant bar having the circus in there every now and then in the summer months

the only tourism that we get in the summer is from the amusement park and from the beach maybe they should ugrade them before worrying about any other forms of new tourism

Surfing I believe is one of the biggest draws to Tramore epecially in the months when the Amusement Park etc are closed. Eh you a bit wrong about the algae this occurs in the spring months. The thing is to get tourists to the town all year round and not just during the summer when we normally get the normal tourists from Dublin. If this is going to be the only one in Ireland people from all over the country and maybe even further afield seeing as there appears to be only 1 in the UK so people will be drawn to visit Tramore and use it

If anyone seriously wants to set up a 'for the development' group let me know because I honestly think this is going to be the make or break of Tramore.

If Tramore carries on the way it is going now, I think we have only about 5 -8 years before its completly dead as a sea side resort. It now has a reputation as a **** hole but there are so many people out there with very fond memories or Tramore past. If we get the Flowrider it will make Tramore a focal point, It will once again give Tramore a purpose ...... people will travel from all over to use it and hopefully the hype will make the old holiday makers return again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

You don't make an objection to a planning application you make observation(s) on it. These have to be on planning grounds, e.g. impact on residential amenity, alignment with local and national development plans etc. Any comments are publicly available on the council website although individual people could hide behind a committee.

I can't see this being anything other than a positive step for what is a fading resort, but I'd like to see the plans.

SSE

This is an interesting radio interview about the project

http://www.cjfa.ie/files/201204042010165WLRFMInterviewTramoreLeisureDevelopment%20.mp3

• Advertisement

Have they set up a committee to object to this particular development? Or is their committee already formed? How can they object without first seeing the plans? If they have decided to object to this without even seeing the plans then they really are pathetic people. Looking at an An Bord Pleanala document for a previous development on that Hydro site, it seems the objectors know well the planning process and the objecting game; just like Brendan McCann they know all the technicalities that something can be rejected for.

I hope that the people behind this development will have thought this all out in advance and have pre-empted potential objections in their plans.

People, businesses, organisations can make pro-development submissions (might be a small fee to make submissions though, not too sure).
    mickob16 wrote: »
    Name and Shame those who are objecting.
    Any submissions (objections) to Waterford Co. Council and then An Bord Pleanala will be listed on their respective websites. You can see who the objectors were for previous planning applications on the Council's website.
    jamiecoins wrote: »
    well the boating lake is owned by bord failte and its in use in the summer but in the winter it turns to crap with all the algae etc
    The lake is owned by Tramore Amusements. I think Bord Failte owned it though at some stage years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blankAs

ok i see all sides of peoples arguments but sit back for a little minute and consider tramore, and is this realy what the town needs?
    we are a large town with no real facility's for its residents, no integrated thinking and no sense of community. now people will argue that tramore has many facilitys, yes sure it does but are these adequate for the size of the population and do they service the diverse needs of all this population? integrated thinking, ha, do the council even know these words. and as for a sense of community, where is the heart of the town, where do the local people gather for community events, ask of yourself this: what is tramore to me? Where is my place in it?
    i think the most clear and visible sign of this dead town is the large groups of teenagers that gather daily in the cannons field, why are they there, having consulted with them the answer is 'theres nowhere else to go'. these teenagers display a great sense of community however, within their age groups, why cant us adults follow their example? why cant we just hang out, doesnt have to be outside the vee or surf centre, just meet up in groups,discuss issue and matters of life, a public forum, a general assembly, perhaps in the cannons field?!
    people dont have money. the building such a facility would create jobs,short term building jobs, long term,20 jobs if its doing fantastically. lets just look at some other community faciltys, splashworld, never full and very few residents use it often due to the cost, €11 for one adult and child. the skate park, free and constently packed. tramore house, empty and desolate. youth cafe, open for 4 hrs a week, never seen a crowd in there, have you? playground, more chance of meeting tramore people in fenor these days.
    So is the addition of this facilty going to transform the town, my guess is no. should this building go ahead in this location (the field, not the town) eh no, due to the environmental, economic and social pressures that will this development will bring. does the town realy need this or could the money be better spent on facilitys that are acctualy needed in this town cause it smacks of yet another plaster on a large gaping open wound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,665 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What facilities are you looking for? I have no desire to hang out in a field, but there are pubs, restaurants, cafes in Tramore, shops, a library, a swimming pool that does (not sure if it still does) 'locals' tickets all winter. There are gyms, a beach that is well used by locals, a community centre.

There are clubs and associations: Active Retirement, the musical society/panto group, sports clubs, book clubs in the library, Art groups (admittedly closed shops) Toastmasters, Bridge club, and numerous others. There is golf, pitch and putt, tennis, surfing.

If you are concerned about the youth cafe how about volunteering instead of complaining? I don't know if the Scouts and Guides are still operating but they were always looking for volunteer leaders.

Locals do have facilities, but they are no use unless they leave the telly and go and use them.

Possibly we could use a bigger community centre, but that will not bring visitors into the town. The Coastguard station is languishing instead of being properly used - I attempted to get something started in there but met with a brick wall over about 2 years, so I went off to Waterford and have a thriving group (tourist based) going there. There is a specific project - find out what is happening, why it isn't open when it says it is, why it is only available to a select few and why it isn't being used by a volunteer group to make money in summer?

All this is a bit off topic. I think the flow rider would be a great idea and fits in very well with the whole surfing scene here in Tramore. Bring visitors and money into the town and the locals will benefit, but it has to be done in that order.

blankAs wrote: »
    we are a large town with no real facility's for its residents, no integrated thinking and no sense of community. now people will argue that tramore has many facilitys, yes sure it does but are these adequate for the size of the population and do they service the diverse needs of all this population? integrated thinking, ha, do the council even know these words. and as for a sense of community, where is the heart of the town, where do the local people gather for community events, ask of yourself this: what is tramore to me? Where is my place in it?
    i think the most clear and visible sign of this dead town is the large groups of teenagers that gather daily in the cannons field, why are they there, having consulted with them the answer is 'theres nowhere else to go'. these teenagers display a great sense of community however, within their age groups, why cant us adults follow their example? why cant we just hang out, doesnt have to be outside the vee or surf centre, just meet up in groups,discuss issue and matters of life, a public forum, a general assembly, perhaps in the cannons field?!
    You will always get teenagers hanging around places, even if there is stuff for them to do. Nothing wrong with this. The teenagers in Cannon's Field make up a miniscule percentage of the teenagers in the town.

There's plenty for them to do but it depends what they are in to. We can have all the sports clubs, societies, facilities etc but if they are just not into that stuff what can you do?
    people dont have money. the building such a facility would create jobs,short term building jobs, long term,20 jobs if its doing fantastically. lets just look at some other community faciltys, splashworld, never full and very few residents use it often due to the cost, €11 for one adult and child. the skate park, free and constently packed. tramore house, empty and desolate. youth cafe, open for 4 hrs a week, never seen a crowd in there, have you? playground, more chance of meeting tramore people in fenor these days.
    A possible free to use facility/community space could be the town park which is (very slowly) being developed.
    So is the addition of this facilty going to transform the town, my guess is no. should this building go ahead in this location (the field, not the town) eh no, due to the environmental, economic and social pressures that will this development will bring.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you just don't this development to go ahead? What exactly are these pressures you think it will bring? Where is a better location? This is going to be on a derelict piece of land right at the heart of the town's heart (the beach). It will also be a great link up with the town park. Why would you not want to see something going in to this area, instead of the moulding looking field currently there? What do you think tourists think when they see that?
    does the town realy need this or could the money be better spent on facilitys that are acctualy needed in this town cause it smacks of yet another plaster on a large gaping open wound.
    The money is coming from private investors so it's not a case of Government/Council money that could be spent elsewhere. This is a group of people who are taking a multi million Euro risk to make this development happen in the middle of a major recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

ok i see all sides of peoples arguments but sit back for a little minute and consider tramore, and is this realy what the town needs?
    So is the addition of this facilty going to transform the town, my guess is no. should this building go ahead in this location (the field, not the town) eh no, due to the environmental, economic and social pressures that will this development will bring. does the town realy need this or could the money be better spent on facilitys that are acctualy needed in this town cause it smacks of yet another plaster on a large gaping open wound.

First post and it's a big no, guess we know where your coming from.
    Idiotic in the extreme to postulate an argument that the money would be better spent elsewhere for the community, this is not community money it is private money being put into a business, that by itself will help the community, it is no wonder Waterford County Council have washed their hands of Tramore because of the endemic begrudgery and back biting ,that is at the core of a certain vocal element in Tramore.
    I speak from experience, Tramore is a nightmare to try do anything in.
    To give in to your argument Tramore would be a complete ghost town, build nothing because it might not work/be to expensive/harm the envirnoment,Jesus H Christ the negativity from you is unbelievable .
    You and your ilk repulse me , you know exactly what you don't want, but will do shag all to make things happen, just stop things, shame on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

I think this would be a good addition to Tramore and see it as something that would attract more tourists to the town so a positive for the local economy.

I live in the city but am involved in a couple of things in Tramore and think there's a great sense of community within those groups and the groups I'm involved in are inter-linked.

One thing I like about Tramore is the low level of crime particularly involving teenagers which is a lot lower than the national average.

Good lord, are you serious??

First off, what is wrong with the Vic Cafe and the Surf Centre Cafe?? Since money has been pumped into both locations the two business' are thriving, and its an excellent place to meet and talk about a range of topics. Heck, even local clubs use the decking to facilitate their club meetings.

Yes the local holiday accommodation is slightly expensive, but where else in the country is a lot cheaper?? And this new facility will bring people from all over the country on a weekend break or a day trip so there are loads of BnB's dotted around Tramore that would welcome these people with open arms!

Another thing people seem to forget, there is going to be an international standard skate park built aswell, an indoor one. This will give the kids od Tramore a chance to excel in their sport and maybe one day become the next Tony Hawk, likewise for the Flowrider!

People like you should be ashamed of themselves, this will bring nothing but positivity to the area and much neededjobs to the local economy! Where else do you suggest that '20' jobs be created??

If this doesn't go ahead because a few dumb asses have nothing better to do besides object to everything than shame on you!!

And im all for setting up a group to get this facility to Tramore!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Tbayers would you ever pm me the drivers names behind this, I suspect who they may be ,just morbid curiosty

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Tbayers would you ever pm me the drivers names behind this, I suspect who they may be ,just morbid curiosty
    Probably some of these (click on submissions):

http://eplan.waterfordcoco.ie/ePlan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?File_number=07817&LASiteID=0

• Advertisement

A lot of people from the gap objecting to it! Will this have a Flowrider and skatepark in the planning?? Hope so, they might see sense then!!

Advertisement