Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

does Mat Leave count for CID?

• 27-06-2011 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi everyone!

sorry if this is a silly question but I'm going for a 16 hour Mat Leave and was wondering if this would count as the first year for a CID? Or does it have to be the full hours and a different kind of contract?

Thanks for any replies!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The maternity leave will count if you are kept on next year and get at least 2 successive contracts with your own hours.

You'll get a CID if you have:
    in excess of 4 years continuous teaching service, under two or more successive written contracts of employment with the same employer that were paid for out of monies provided by the Oireachtas unless you are covering for another teacher absent on an approved scheme of leave of absence and this was set out as an objective ground in writing in the previous contract or the post will not be viable within a reasonable period and this was set out as an objective ground in writing in the previous contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Newteacher

Thanks Deemark. But the Mat Leave does not start until October....for CID, does the contract have to start in Sept? Thanks again!

....and how does the "unless you are covering for another teacher" fit in with a Mat Leave? thanks again!

Newteacher wrote: »
    ....and how does the "unless you are covering for another teacher" fit in with a Mat Leave? thanks again!

You would only be covering temporarily on a non-casual basis and as long as you got your own hours for 2 years of the next 4, you'd be ok. If you were covering for a teacher for 4 years e.g. on a career break, then you wouldn't be entitled to a CID as that job doesn't exist i.e. it's an objective reason not to give you a CID.

As for the start date - a contract begun before the end of October is submitted in the Dept returns, so it counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

deemark wrote: »
    You would only be covering temporarily on a non-casual basis and as long as you got your own hours for 2 years of the next 4, you'd be ok. If you were covering for a teacher for 4 years e.g. on a career break, then you wouldn't be entitled to a CID as that job doesn't exist i.e. it's an objective reason not to give you a CID.

As for the start date - a contract begun before the end of October is submitted in the Dept returns, so it counts.

Just to clarify, are you entitled to a CID if you are in the one school for 4 successive years, 2 of which are your own hours (and successive)?

I always thought it was your own hours for 4 years, so i'm slightly hazy!

• Advertisement

Just to clarify, are you entitled to a CID if you are in the one school for 4 successive years, 2 of which are your own hours (and successive)?

I always thought it was your own hours for 4 years, so i'm slightly hazy!

So did I! But I hadn't been to a union meeting for a while (maternity leave) and it seems it came out of a Labour Court arbitration. A colleague in my school got her CID this year, even though one of her years had been a maternity leave. Another colleague is due (fingers crossed) hers in Sept, even though her 1st year in the school was a year-long maternity leave.

The important thing is having your own hours for 2 successive years.

So if I'm getting this right guys....next year doesn't really count unless I get my own hours the following year or the year following that for 2 years in a row. Is there any stipulation regarding the number of hours you work. What if they give me 16 hours for 3 years then bump me up to 22 for the 4th? Would that qualify me for CID? thanks as always!

Newteacher wrote: »
    So if I'm getting this right guys....next year doesn't really count unless I get my own hours the following year or the year following that for 2 years in a row. Is there any stipulation regarding the number of hours you work. What if they give me 16 hours for 3 years then bump me up to 22 for the 4th? Would that qualify me for CID? thanks as always!

Yes, on its own, a maternity leave is useless for the purposes of a CID. However, if you are given a contract for hours the year after, then that maternity leave becomes Year 1 for the purposes of calculating entitlement to a CID. I don't think there is a minimum of hours, so the scenario you've outlined is correct. The amount of hours in Year 4 determines the hours for your CID.

Of course, if the school is a VEC one, hours worked in different schools in the VEC will count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

Sorry for making this seem awkward but would it be right in saying then that if you only need 2 successive contracts for your own hours (Year 3 and 4) to get a CID, could Year 1 and Year 2 technically be maternity cover etc?

I know you must have your own hours for Year 4 anyway? This CID business is tricky

Sorry for making this seem awkward but would it be right in saying then that if you only need 2 successive contracts for your own hours (Year 3 and 4) to get a CID, could Year 1 and Year 2 technically be maternity cover etc?

Yes.

The one thing I'm unsure of is the amount of hours i.e. the minimum length of maternity leave. The two colleagues I've referred to had maternity leaves of more or less a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 guinness1

Hi,

I will be employed by the VEC for 4 years this coming October and last week i received a letter stating that they were currently assessing my eligability for a CID. The letter stated that they need the original letter of acceptance from Teaching Council (which i have provided). I spoke to the lady in VEC to ask who had initiated the CID and she said it was just because i was nearing the 4 year mark and they wanted to have things in order. To date i have been working on a casual part time basis but i have received teaching hours each year. I am hoping this will be the case again for this year.

Does anyone know what would be my entitlements if i didnt receive any hours this coming sept?
    Also do they calculate my contract based on average hours over the 4 years?

guinness1 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what would be my entitlements if i didnt receive any hours this coming sept?
    Also do they calculate my contract based on average hours over the 4 years?

Your VEC are on the ball! No sign of letters up here. It'll be a matter of waiting on the contract letter to see if it says CID or not.

I've quoted the criteria for CID entitlement above. Your CID will be based on the hours you get this year (your 4th year), so it's really important that they give you as many of your own hours as possible. If they don't give you any hours this year, you would not be eligible for a CID.

thanks very much for your reply. very helpful. i'll let you know how things go.

just to update on the CID evaluation. I received a letter from the VEC (after 2 months) which attached my work history for the previous 4 years. The letter stated that unfortunatley there was no position for me this year and thanks for my service.

I have done some digging around and it seems that head office were in contact with the principal to explain that i was entitled to a CID if i was given hours this year (5th year). When i spoke to the principal they seemed very prepared for my question and they stated that they were over allocated and that i would be kept in mind for any future hours. It turns out that another teacher who is on casual basis has been given hours in which she is not qualified to teach and in which i am. very disappointed to have been treated this way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

just to update on the CID evaluation. I received a letter from the VEC (after 2 months) which attached my work history for the previous 4 years. The letter stated that unfortunatley there was no position for me this year and thanks for my service.

I have done some digging around and it seems that head office were in contact with the principal to explain that i was entitled to a CID if i was given hours this year (5th year). When i spoke to the principal they seemed very prepared for my question and they stated that they were over allocated and that i would be kept in mind for any future hours. It turns out that another teacher who is on casual basis has been given hours in which she is not qualified to teach and in which i am. very disappointed to have been treated this way.

Get on to the union. Now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

spurious wrote: »

Totally agree, as long as you joined the union you should be able to fight this, if the hours were there they should have been given to you not to someone else specifically to avoid giving you a CID (especially if this person isnt qualified)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 floating voter

solerina wrote: »
    spurious wrote: »

Totally agree, as long as you joined the union you should be able to fight this, if the hours were there they should have been given to you not to someone else specifically to avoid giving you a CID (especially if this person isnt qualified)
    They can't not renew your contract if the hours are still there. Union now or else rights commissioner. Get a solicitor to write and lay claim to the hours. If you say nothing you will be shafted.

Hi Folks,

just another update on the situation. I have now received a couple of hours teaching an evening course within the same college as last year. I have also received 12 hours in another college within the same overall district VEC. This job was advertised last week so i have applied for it and hope to receive notification of interview. I am also teaching an evening course in this college for 3 hours (just casual)

My question is if i am successful and receive a contract until the end of aug 2012 will this benefit my application for a CID. My hours last year (4th year teaching were 3 hours per week). I began teaching in Oct 2007 so this month will be the end of the 4th year and i will have 12 hours going into my 5th year of CID. Should this mean i am entitled to a CID for 12 hours?

Hi Folks,

just another update on the situation. I have now received a couple of hours teaching an evening course within the same college as last year. I have also received 12 hours in another college within the same overall district VEC. This job was advertised last week so i have applied for it and hope to receive notification of interview. I am also teaching an evening course in this college for 3 hours (just casual)

My question is if i am successful and receive a contract until the end of aug 2012 will this benefit my application for a CID. My hours last year (4th year teaching were 3 hours per week). I began teaching in Oct 2007 so this month will be the end of the 4th year and i will have 12 hours going into my 5th year of CID. Should this mean i am entitled to a CID for 12 hours?
    Did you get onto the union like you were told? Your case seems both simple ( you have done 4 years) and complex ( you were not given hours) at the same time. Someone needs to look at all your contracts and paperwork before it's too late.
    You only have 6 months from date of refusal of CID.

Hi Folks,

Did you get onto the union like you were told? Your case seems both simple ( you have done 4 years) and complex ( you were not given hours) at the same time. Someone needs to look at all your contracts and paperwork before it's too late.
    You only have 6 months from date of refusal of CID.

• Advertisement

If you began teaching in October 2007, then you are NOW in your fifth year (it goes by academic year, not the date before Oct 31st that you started).

Are these evening hours that you teach part of your contract or are you submitting an hours return form for them?

Talk to the union!

Advertisement