Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer time in Gatwick

Options
  • 27-06-2011 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I will be arriving with my family in Gatwick South Terminal on a Monday afternoon, catching another flight to Nice from South Terminal a few hours later.

As the bookings were made seperately, I am going to have to collect bags, clear customs/immigration, and check in for the second flight seperately. :(

Has anyone any idea how long this can typically take?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If you are arriving into Gatwick from Ireland this can be quite quick as you avoid immigration when you arrive. I have often managed to get off the plane and get to the train station in ten minutes, so add on another ten to fifteen for your baggage.

Check in is a different matter and can depend on a number of factors, the main one being the airline you are flying with. Once checked in, I find Gatwick fairly quick to get through though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Gatwick is grand tbh, I've never had to do an unsecured connection like you describe OP but with a couple of hours to spare I would say you'll be fine.

LHR on the other hand....don't get me started :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

I quite like Gatwick. I find it very quick to get through. Admittedly, though, I'm usually travelling for the weekend and therefore confine my luggage to carry-on only.

There's a bit of a walk from where you disembark to customs/passport control (whatever it's called). I'd say it takes about 5-10 minutes. Once you get there, you get through very quickly, they just ask to see your boarding pass if you're Irish or UK. The few times I have checked luggage, I've found it to be available very quickly. Five minutes and you're done there.

Check-in is an easy matter - well-staffed - no long queues. They have one of the most efficient security systems I've seen. Again, no queues. There are loads of gates for everybody. You go through these gates with your boarding pass. The automated machines at the gates scan your boarding pass and take your picture and you walk through to security. So you don't have the time delay as an individual checks everybody's passport. Then they do the usual scanning of people/things, putting your stuff in buckets etc. Luck of the draw there depending on how busy it is I suppose. But I've never had a delay at Gatwick (UNLIKE STANSTED:mad:) Then you go to the boarding gate. Normal procedure there.

Basically, I'm optimistic for you. I was so late getting to the airport for my last flight, I was convinced I'd miss it, but I got from the airport train station to the boarding gate in 10 mins. Couldn't believe it. With a few hours you'll be grand.

Advertisement