Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries - save file cannot be deleted

Options
  • 27-06-2011 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Have pre-ordered this game for Friday but thinking now of cancelling it as it's likely trade-in value will be reduced. Being reported on eurogamer and cubed.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

ScaldyMc wrote: »
    Have pre-ordered this game for Friday but thinking now of cancelling it as it's likely trade-in value will be reduced. Being reported on eurogamer and cubed.

Just read this on IGN, it's disgraceful to be honest. So basically I cannot choose to delete my game and restart.

This was the first 3Ds title I was even considering buying since launch but I'll probably skip it now. Hopefully sales will suffer if enough people do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

This sucks, I was really looking forward to this game. Not being allowed to start afresh? Doesn't make sense.... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

Came here to post the same thing. Absolutely idiotic. I also wont be buying this game now, and I rarely trade in games or play them more than once, it's the principal of the matter. This is an awful move and it's unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

I don't understand? Whats the meaning behind this?

shizz wrote: »
    I don't understand? Whats the meaning behind this?

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/220750/no-starting-over-in-3ds-resident-evil-the-mercenaries/

It's basically a sneaky tactic from Capcom to affect second-hand sales, because once you save your progress, it can't be undone, so anything unlocked along the way is saved for good. Doesn't sound that bad until you realise that if you want to play the game from the start, say if you buy it second hand, all the scores from the previous player are practically printed into the game and can't be deleted. That's my understanding of it anyway. If they get away with this now, who's to know how often this will appear in games down the line, so I say, boycott!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ScaldyMc

Just cancelled my pre-order for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,504 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭ScaldyMc

vg247 reporting that HMV will not accept trade ins of resident evil the mercenaries.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

ScaldyMc wrote: »
    vg247 reporting that HMV will not accept trade ins of resident evil the mercenaries.

Also, Gamestop USA have reversed their decision not to accept trade-ins after discussings with their "publishing partner, capcom".

Hmmm...very interesting comment there. I wonder was there pressure put on Gamestop.

Eitherway, I won't be buying this first or second hand.

The fact that Capcom have admitted that you cannot delete saves but won't give a proper reason why is insulting their customers intelligence tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

From the ign review, it seems it's not worth the price of a full game.
    Too busy with Zelda for a while anyways....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭SilentHunter

My brother was going to get this game once he gets his own 3ds. I don't think he will get it if he can't delete his save data.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

Doesn't even make sense.

Non-handheld consoles are the more valuable games, and being distributed on optical discs have no possibility to implement such a feature.

Why even bother so with the less valuable market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

They really think we are stupid, don't they? Capcom is one of my favourite developers but they are becoming increasingly greedy in recent years. All those DLC costumes for Street fighter IV, compare to MK9, Tekken 6 and DOA, where unlockable costumes are free.
    Then you have Marvel vs Capcom 3. They gave up on releasing DLC because they realised people were too p1ssed off, and broke, to pay for it.

Capcom will end up with egg on their face over this. Average reviews and negative publicity = E9.99 new on sale in Game and HMV in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

It seems you can erase the same if you use a save backup tool:

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/04/apparently-there-is-a-way-to-erase-save-data-from-resident-evil-the-mercenaries-3d/

which costs £20 from the very quick search I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,813 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Every videogame shop which does second hand games needs to invest in one of those :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

If the 3ds carts are similarly designed like any of the previous Nintendo incarnations, surely de-soldering the battery from the cart for a few seconds would remove the save?

Even so, this is a bad call by Capcom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

sengoku wrote: »
    If the 3ds carts are similarly designed like any of the previous Nintendo incarnations, surely de-soldering the battery from the cart for a few seconds would remove the save?

Even so, this is a bad call by Capcom.

It's flash memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,813 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    It's flash memory.

Indeed. You'd have to desolder flash memory chip. Erase it. Resolder it to the PCB. If that's even possible without buggering the game itself up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Any price drop for this game on the high street yet? I know it's fairly early but it's pretty much a matter of when rather than if.

• Advertisement

Azure_sky wrote: »
    Any price drop for this game on the high street yet? I know it's fairly early but it's pretty much a matter of when rather than if.

Had a look while I was in town earlier but it's still €39.99 in most places. Like you said, it's only a matter of time before it dives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

Did anyone actually get this?
    Might pick it up if it does dive in price...not before though.

Advertisement