Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Introduction & Tall Ships

• 27-06-2011 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks after a friend of mine pointed me in your direction after I told him I was 'getting into' photography.

I've just recently got my first DSLR a Canon EOS 1000D and have found this forum to be most inspirational and insightful, so thanks to you all.

Now for the tall ships part, I was at the maritime festival at the Belfast Odyssey on Sunday and took a number of shots of the tall ships. They look most impressive in person, but reviewing the shots last night on the computer they just look like a mess. There's no obvious part of the shot that draws your eye, and I really struggled to apply the rule of thirds, generally I struggled with the composition.

I'll post a couple of shots up when I get home, and would love to hear any advice or constructive criticism, as I love all things of the sea, being a Portsmouth lad originally, and I'd live to get these 'right' next time round.

If anyone has any good example of these kind of shots I'd be grateful if you could share them, so I can see how it can be done.

Apologies for rambling.
    Matt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Deffo post them up and we can have a look

Also, usually at events like that, boardsie's always meet up, so feel free to do the same and ask some questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭shemwhistler

Thanks Tallon.

I feel my first post here was awfully ill prepared :D

I'm Belfast based and I know that this is a .ie forum, what's the etiquette for those of us across the border? I hope it's cool to post and join in the discussion, as frankly, it seems to be a great community.

As for the day, it was my first time actually being out and about with the camera, that in itself was an experience in itself. I did find myself noticing other photographers a lot more, trying to identify what cameras were being used and what shots were attracting attention.

Everything else I've done in the week since I've had the camera has been around the house.

It's not limited to the republic at all. There are people all over the shop. not just Ireland

There's absolutely no problems with you posting here.

You should deffo try and get out. Would you be able to travel to Dublin or Galway for one of the photo walks when they're on? You really benefit from them :)

Excellent!

Events like that sound great, as long as I can get it squared with the missus, it's really only 2 hours to Dublin. And besides, the friend I mentioned in the earlier post has been pestering me to come down and see him, so combining the two could work very well.

Galway could be a bit tougher, but my wife has friends in Galway, so again that could work out well :)

I'll keep an eye out for relevant posts.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Welcome aboard Shemwhistler.

• Advertisement

I just say Galway because sometimes there are walks there, and I didn't want to upset the country folk :p

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Welcome aboard Shemwhistler.

Much appreciated.

In my time lurking here I've often wondered if I could beat you to the post in TPBM thread. We shall see....... :)
    Tallon wrote: »
    I just say Galway because sometimes there are walks there, and I didn't want to upset the country folk :p

I hear it's best not to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Hi folks,

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks after a friend of mine pointed me in your direction after I told him I was 'getting into' photography.

I've just recently got my first DSLR a Canon EOS 1000D and have found this forum to be most inspirational and insightful, so thanks to you all.

Now for the tall ships part, I was at the maritime festival at the Belfast Odyssey on Sunday and took a number of shots of the tall ships. They look most impressive in person, but reviewing the shots last night on the computer they just look like a mess. There's no obvious part of the shot that draws your eye, and I really struggled to apply the rule of thirds, generally I struggled with the composition.

Nothing unusual in that. We've ALL been there! Here's a few from a recent Tall Ship visit to Waterford City. Main event takes place on Thursday next.

Thanks Freddie, some great shots there.

A couple of things that occur to me looking at these;
    • The Belfast city skyline really intrudes on the shots I took yesterday, whereas in yours the city doesn't detract from the ships.
    • I was only able to take shots from beside the ships, whereas the pov in some of yours makes a huge difference.

Definitely some food for thought, thanks again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Welcome to the forum Matt. Looking forward to seeing some of your shots. I think everyone has been through the disappointment of their shots not looking as spectacular as the scene did when there. That is one of the major challenges to photography.

You will get lots of help here. Don't worry about not being in the Republic, I am located in Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

The ships are starting to arrive here now,im looking forward to getting some shots of the fireworks as they are on for 3 nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Here is the first ship to arrive in the port.

sb4md.jpg

@HooksandCrookes

Avast yer landlubbers!

*ahem*

I mean, here are the pics that I threatened earlier, as stated in the OP, I'm kinda disappointed with them, I'd be glad to hear any comments on them. For the first two I had this romantic notion that seeing the new amidst the old was interesting, but I think it's failed to live up to my head :)

I'm not sure if it's OK to link to so many pics in the one post, but please let me know if I need to edit anything.

Have at it yer scurvy seadogs!

5878653892_d57d39d3dd_z.jpg
    Rigging II by Matt Jeanes, on Flickr

5878097997_8fe47ccc4c_z.jpg
    Rigging I by Matt Jeanes, on Flickr

5878811812_2bdf4aae58_z.jpg
    Rigging by Matt Jeanes, on Flickr

5878815324_1a7d14bb25_z.jpg

5878256995_405d919553_z.jpg

5878823972_51f390c845_z.jpg

5878260151_cae614d023_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Hi and welcome :) First I'd say you're probably being very hard on yourself. They're nice images, but they're a bit busy. What you might try doing is concentrating on details at first rather than trying to frame large scenes. I don't mean macro, but just trying to simplify your composition. In doing that, you'll probably start to see easier ways to compose on a larger stage, as appealing structures in an image begin to become more obvious to you. Know what I mean?

Learn and try the rule of thirds and all the other compositional guidelines - there's a reason they're so famous, but don't be afraid to try different things too.

Last thing I'll say is to maybe try a little post production. Maybe a little levels or curves, just to give a bit more contrast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Ditto to what Sinead said above.

What you are trying to do is make Photographs, which is a LOT harder than taking snaps. While you are correct in that these images do not work on the level which you hoped they would, but they do show that you are thinking about your images and trying to see things in a different way. When that vision does not work out you have an opportunity to learn from it. Look at what you have and compare that with what you had in your mind when taking that, then work out why it falls short (and it will for all of us MOST of the time) To improve you then have try something different. This could mean re-shooting or using a different post production technique.

You are already further along than you realise.

sineadw wrote: »
    Hi and welcome :) First I'd say you're probably being very hard on yourself. They're nice images, but they're a bit busy. What you might try doing is concentrating on details at first rather than trying to frame large scenes. I don't mean macro, but just trying to simplify your composition. In doing that, you'll probably start to see easier ways to compose on a larger stage, as appealing structures in an image begin to become more obvious to you. Know what I mean?

Learn and try the rule of thirds and all the other compositional guidelines - there's a reason they're so famous, but don't be afraid to try different things too.

Last thing I'll say is to maybe try a little post production. Maybe a little levels or curves, just to give a bit more contrast.

Thanks Sinead, I've read about the rule of thirds, and whilst I think I 'get it' for basic things like landscapes, I was at a real loss to identify how to apply the rule to these shots. Busy is definitely right :) I did try a couple of shots focusing in on specific areas, they weren't so great either, but I guess it's all practice.

And yes, post production is something I need to look at, these are in their natural form, I see there's a guide on levels in one of the sub forums, I'll certainly try that, and if it's allowed I'll post the results here.
    CabanSail wrote: »
    Ditto to what Sinead said above.

What you are trying to do is make Photographs, which is a LOT harder than taking snaps. While you are correct in that these images do not work on the level which you hoped they would, but they do show that you are thinking about your images and trying to see things in a different way. When that vision does not work out you have an opportunity to learn from it. Look at what you have and compare that with what you had in your mind when taking that, then work out why it falls short (and it will for all of us MOST of the time) To improve you then have try something different. This could mean re-shooting or using a different post production technique.

You are already further along than you realise.

Thanks for the encouraging words, it's definitely a bigger leap than I had considered it would be from snaps to photographs :)

Though I'm certainly far from the realms of despair, and intend to pester you all with more shots down the line.

Thanks again all.

sineadw wrote: »

+1 to that. But one important thing Matt - enjoy yourself! Most important.:)

Thanks Freddie, some great shots there.

A couple of things that occur to me looking at these;
    • The Belfast city skyline really intrudes on the shots I took yesterday, whereas in yours the city doesn't detract from the ships.
    • I was only able to take shots from beside the ships, whereas the pov in some of yours makes a huge difference.

Definitely some food for thought, thanks again.

Thank Matt. The ships themselves make great subjects. Best of luck with your photography.

At the risk of being a little off topic, I'd like to say thanks to everyone that has made a new poster here feel very welcome.

I've dipped my toe in, and instead of a school of piranhas, there's nothing but helpful folks.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

welcome, i sort of like the idea of the old and the new!! good thinking - taking photographs up into the sky is indeed challenging - cant say i'm great at that either :o

anyway, was in waterford and saw some of the new arrivals!!

P22_1.jpg
    L.E. AOIFE P22 Irish NAval Service preparing to Berth near Rice Bridge Waterford.

TS_5.jpg
    Steady as she goes!
    L.E. AOIFE coming alongside - under the watchful eye of Lieutenant Commander Michael Kennelly (NS)

P22_2.jpg
    Boat secured at it's adopted port.

TS_4.jpg
    The Europa barque (three mast rigged ship) out of Scheveningen, the Netherlands.

TS_3.jpg
    Pelican of London, Mainmast Barquentine

TS_1.jpg
    Sørlandet out of Kristiansand, Norway being towed into the harbour

TS_2.jpg
    Millennium Plaza, Waterford city

there was lots of other stuff too but i guess this is enough for the moment ;)

• Advertisement

Hey Fionn,

A few of the same vessels that I saw at the weekend, nice.

I really like the first 3 shots, I particularly like the perspective in #3. It's definitely something I need to keep in the front of my head when taking snaps, move the perspective.

I think the more modern ship is 'easier' to capture as it's lines are a bit cleaner, the older style with all the rigging are definitely more challenging to get a good shot of.

I look forward to seeing more of these in the future and trying to improve on my first attempts.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Hey folks, back again with a PP question.

As suggested here I'm working on some PP, specifically the 5th Pic I posted, and I'm a competent enough PS user to use levels to get a half decent result, but when I tried curves it completely blew my mind and I ended up with crazy results.

I was hoping some kind soul could give me some pointers on how I'd go about using curves to 'improve' that shot.

Many thanks.

Great shots Fionn! Love Nos 3 & 5. Lucky with the weather. Overcast down here today.:(

Advertisement