Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have i graduated?

Options
  • 27-06-2011 12:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

long story short,got my final year results today online from dit,im in 3rd year of an ordinary degree,i passed all my summer exams,but had failed maths during january exams (i got 38) and passed the rest.

I was told by the head of my course that if i passed all my summer exams that i would be able to compensate for the maths at xmas or graduate (same thing)

So i got my results today and i passed everything,however nothing is written beside the maths subject,no fail,no pass by compensation,nothing,when i go to FINAL YEAR AWARD CLASSIFICATION it says :

Awarded: Bachelor ***course name*** (Ord)
    Degree Date: Jun 29, 2011
    Institutional Honours: Merit, Lower Division

Does that mean iv got my degree??
    All the guys iv been talking to in my course seem to think so!!
    any bit of info would be appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Of course it does. It says Awarded: Bachelor of X (ord), it has been awarded.

You have got you're degree, and you will graduate in September or whenever it is. Congratulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 larderlan

Of course it does. It says Awarded: Bachelor of X (ord), it has been awarded.

You have got you're degree, and you will graduate in September or whenever it is. Congratulations.

thanks,but what happens to the maths i failed at xmas??just forgotten about?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

larderlan wrote: »
    thanks,but what happens to the maths i failed at xmas??just forgotten about?

You are still doing the same module of maths at the end of the course, so if you do well in your final exam, it makes up for the fail at Christmas.

Say for example, the exam was broken into 30% at Christmas, and 70% at summer.

You got 38% of 30%. You now have 11% of your total grade, you need 29% out of 70% in your sessional. To get that you need 41% or more.

So even though you failed at Christmas, because you got the percentage required in the sessional it doesn't matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

38% is compensatable, which means a marginal fail is overlooked due to not failing other modules. Well done:)

Advertisement