Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Agri shows

• 27-06-2011 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Wel anyone go to any lately or planning on going?

Was at Athlone Agri Show yesterday myself. Small, but some nice cattle and interesting stalls

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

went to dundalk last week ,small but good quality animals there too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Was at bandon a few weeks ago, a nice small show, good cattle section (which we were kinda late for) poor enough stalls, and too many horses for my liking, but still think it's a very good small show as it really has something for everyone.

Probably head to clonmel next weekend, was very good last year, kinda like a mini tullamore, in that it had all sorts of animals as opposed to just cattle sections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Went to Balmoral in Belfast in May. Quite a big show. Good animals, lots of stalls and demos and stacks of machinery dealers. However, the show itself seemed to lack the Buzz and excitement that Tullamore usually has! It was a 2 1/2 hour drive up, a killer of a day on the feet as it was all on concrete and quite expensive at £15 to gain entry. But I suppose it was nice to go up there once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

reilig wrote: »
    quite expensive at £15 to gain entry.

On the subject of entry fee.....

Maybe I'm tight (I don't get called eddie hobbs for nothing:p), but entry to some shows especially some small ones I think is a tad saucy. Makes more of a difference if there's a couple or a family. It's possibly got to do with insurance though:rolleyes:

yup €10 per adult into dundalk show ,kids free... now they did have free bouncy castles etc but i hate the ice cream vans and the amusements that are a total waste of money... A friend of my husband is a totally tight git , although he is loaded , any of these show he goes to he tells them at the gate that he is an exhibitor , and gets in free.... drives me mental... he has never shown anything at a show in his life

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

A friend of my husband is a totally tight git , although he is loaded , any of these show he goes to he tells them at the gate that he is an exhibitor , and gets in free

Thats not a bad idea :D

last year , he even told the stewards that his wife was pregnant -big lie- so they got good parking so they wouldnt have to walk far, after getting in for nothing

whelan1 wrote: »
    last year , he even told the stewards that his wife was pregnant -big lie- so they got good parking so they wouldnt have to walk far, after getting in for nothing

haha he's surly no fool any way :D:D

polod wrote: »
    haha he's surly no fool any way :D:D
    he has no shame... i would be embarrassed to be with him tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

reilig wrote: »
    Went to Balmoral in Belfast in May. Quite a big show. Good animals, lots of stalls and demos and stacks of machinery dealers. However, the show itself seemed to lack the Buzz and excitement that Tullamore usually has! It was a 2 1/2 hour drive up, a killer of a day on the feet as it was all on concrete and quite expensive at £15 to gain entry. But I suppose it was nice to go up there once.

25 pounds/head into the royal highland show last week and for cattle tullamore was better quailty and a lot of horses and hundreds of pens of sheep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Athenry is on next Sunday.

Athenry is on next Sunday.

does it be any good of a show ? is it a big one ?.........might take a spin over on sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

ellewood wrote: »
    25 pounds/head into the royal highland show last week and for cattle tullamore was better quailty and a lot of horses and hundreds of pens of sheep

really? I was ta the highland 2 years ago and before that I never thought you could get a good animal from a shorthorn. My opinion changed that day. Plus it was great to see ayrshires and galloways and of course highlands on their home turf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

I was at charleville show there for the first time sat. Far bigger than I'd anticipated, some quality cattle there. I watched the judging of the charolaois, belgian blue parthenaise and commercial. Took the entire day to get around it. On a complete tangent, there was a crowd there with swinging self locking feed barriers, galvanised for e450 plus vat per bay. Is that a good price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

really? I was ta the highland 2 years ago and before that I never thought you could get a good animal from a shorthorn. My opinion changed that day. Plus it was great to see ayrshires and galloways and of course highlands on their home turf

yea agree ive never seen such good shorthorns before they really were good and the angus, belted galaway and highland were good but i taught the simmental, charolais blues were average enough ive seen better at tullamore before they had some nice limos though. its a very good show well laid out and easy to get around and all the cattle judging was done with militery precision there were no waiting between classes overall it was a very good show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

johnpawl wrote: »
    I was at charleville show there for the first time sat. Far bigger than I'd anticipated, some quality cattle there. I watched the judging of the charolaois, belgian blue parthenaise and commercial. Took the entire day to get around it. On a complete tangent, there was a crowd there with swinging self locking feed barriers, galvanised for e450 plus vat per bay. Is that a good price?
    I was there Sunday all the cattle were gone and there wasn't much else to see only the vintage display :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

A friend of my husband is a totally tight git , although he is loaded , any of these show he goes to he tells them at the gate that he is an exhibitor , and gets in free.... drives me mental... he has never shown anything at a show in his life
    What does he say when they ask him for his exhibitor number?

we showed cattle for years and always had an exhibitor badge , dont know how he gets away with it , he should be ashamed of himself as alot of time and energy goes into orgainising the show itself.... i think next year i will give the lads the heads up on his behaviour:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

we showed cattle for years and always had an exhibitor badge , dont know how he gets away with it , he should be ashamed of himself as alot of time and energy goes into orgainising the show itself.... i think next year i will give the lads the heads up on his behaviour:o

I'd say there's an awful lot of work preparing and showing cattle is there?

johnpawl wrote: »
    I'd say there's an awful lot of work preparing and showing cattle is there?
    thats why we dont do it anymore :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement