Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Last week before Ring of Kerry 2011 cycle & whos taking part thread

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

No shortage of head the balls out for the day that's for sure.

Hats off to the lad I saw wheezing up Moll's gap with a track pump strapped to his back!! :D

And who spotted the bird with no friends who neglected to check her see-through "cycling shorts" in the mirror before setting out. At least she had the foresight to wear panties (white, with Teddy bears on them, and a pink frilly border.... I wasn't drafting, I swear, they really were that transparent :D).

Oh and kudos to that Lucan rider who hoooored it up Molls gap on the big ring! I jumped on his wheel and managed a couple of hundred yards til he jumped out of the saddle again and disappeared:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oicherider

fat bloke wrote: »
    And who spotted the bird with no friends who neglected to check her see-through "cycling shorts" in the mirror before setting out. At least she had the foresight to wear panties (white, with Teddy bears on them, and a pink frilly border.... I wasn't drafting, I swear, they really were that transparent :D).

Thanks - Had forgotten about that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

No shortage of head the balls out for the day that's for sure.

Hats off to the lad I saw wheezing up Moll's gap with a track pump strapped to his back!! :D

Oh and kudos to that Lucan rider who hoooored it up Molls gap on the big ring! I jumped on his wheel and managed a couple of hundred yards til he jumped out of the saddle again and disappeared:cool:

Well you obviously spent a long time looking at her ass the way you describe the full design of the teddy bears in all their glory:P
    had she a wide load?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Well you obviously spent a long time looking at her ass the way you describe the full design of the teddy bears in all their glory:P
    had she a wide load?

No, but I only came upon her, saw her early on in the day, just out of Kilorglin. I dread to think of the shtate she'd have been in 5 or 6 sweaty hours later...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

No, but I only came upon her, saw her early on in the day, just out of Kilorglin. I dread to think of the shtate she'd have been in 5 or 6 sweaty hours later...:pac:
    Well the aformentioned sighting was noted by many of my travelling companions with the most outrageous comments being made by the Fairer Sex;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭youtheman

On the ROK I came up behing a 'fine bit of gear', lovely flowing locks of hair and a beautiful behind in a skin tight pair of 'Livestrong' lycra full length leggins. As I passed I had to have a quick look back to see the face, only to see a massive beard on the cyclist.

I passed that cyclist at least three times (I was taking regular breaks) and each time I had to remind myself that it was a 'bloke' I was lusting after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 The Behemoth

Well my day started well but petered into a farce. Was on the road for 6.20 am & after 134 km literally as i was turning into the food stop in Kenmare i got a back wheel puncture. As i was repairing it & putting the tyre back on i spotted a 6 inch straight tear on the tyre. Bad buzz as i only carry spare tubes. I asked some of the marshalls about the mechanics etc but they were walking round & you'd swear they were trying to helicopter a Heart in an ice box from Switzerland for a transplant........Anyway they couldnt locate anyone & i was told there was a bike shop in Kenmare called Finnegans. I went up to Finnegans only to find a gift shop similar to a small Carrols in Westmoreland st. I enquired as to the bikeshop & was told it was out the back of the giftshop!! I explained the situation, it was now 1.45 pm & was told in this most Irish of situations that needed expediary action that “the fella who fixes the bikes wont be back until 5 oclock & he has the keys with him”. Tired, fed up & spirit drained i decided to get a taxi from Kenmare to Killarney. 50 Euro down the pipe. Was on for my personal best time also.
    Anyway roll on next year, i have unfinished business with the Kerry countryside to complete.
    Yeah i saw the guy on the BMX also. Lunatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 The Behemoth

Oh yeah i forgot, credit to all the organisers etc fair play & all that. However i did spot one total gaff which i couldnt believe was allowed. At the foodstop in Caherciveen they seemed to be trying to organise a one way system through the food area. You went in the main door & the way out was basically an open window at the back?? You had to step over a small ledge & then there was what i would describe as a small window ledge type thing which was at a sloping angle. I nearly slipped & was sat beside it & saw 2 people slip & fall as they left. This was no place for cleats!!!!! Im sure there were more throughout the day. Anyone else notice this & go WTF?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Had great fun doing this cycle. Got around in 6hrs 37mins rolling and just over 7hrs total. The weather was unexpectedly amazing. I thought that we had swapped a small chance of showers for a cloudy but warmish day. The blazing sunshine we got was most welcome. I didn't really stop anywhere for very long apart from Kenmare, I managed to grab some bananas and water as I rolled through some of the other stops. I made refilling the water bottle on the go look a bit trickier than it probably is. I stored the empty plastic bottle in my jersey till I found a bin, an innovation to some judging by the reports of furious littering in the earlier posts!

I wasn't too sure what to expect on the two big climbs of the day, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that they were long drags rather than anything too steep. I got to enjoy the beautiful scenery on the way up rather than just staring grimly at the ground in front of my wheel. Anyone else spot the horses on the rocky outcrop on the side of Moll's Gap? Quite dramatic!

I spotted the BMX Guy early on (pre-Cahirceveen). I'm not sure what set up he had for the saddle, but he didn't look that comfortable. Saw a number of people on BSOs caked in rust and general muck wearing hi-vis vests creaking away with their knees coming up nearly to their ears. I also heard about a little old lady with a shopper bike with a basket on the front somewhere on the road. It's amazing that these people even attempted the cycle, never mind got all the way around. Fair play to all of them! I suppose it's a great testimony to what a fantastic day out the Ring Of Kerry is.

I didn't encounter too many erratic drivers. There was one or two hire type cars (small 11 reg) that were trying to roar up the outside of the groups in a vaguely scary manner. Also, I saw a fellow in a car van driving down Coomakiste(sp?) towards us beeping and shaking his fist at people. I wondered if he had only just noticed that there were cyclists everywhere, or if he had been beeping and fist shaking for his whole trip (I must point out here that he was in the other side of the road, going in the opposite direction and not really being put out at all by the cyclists). The only really dangerous manouevre I saw at the weekend was by a punter wth a Giant TCR time trial bike, on Friday, while he was driving his car. I hope that guy can cycle better than he drives 'cause it's not a good idea to try and overtake three cars at once, especially when two of them are already overtaking each other on a narrow single carriageway (which is exactly what he did, grazing the greenery on the far side of the road in the process!).

The support from the motorbike guys was incredible. I think I saw the same guy fixing maybe four or five punctures for people along the route.
    At one point I saw a string of five bikes alongside the road, but only four riders, the fifth person was upside down in a ditch. It was a flat bit of road so I'm not sure what happened. Maybe wheels touched, or maybe a 'natural' break went wrong! (Hope they're okay).

Boardsie jerseys were fairly thin on the ground. Saw one fella(new jersey) in a train just before Killorglin steaming along and wanted to tag on, but my friends were just getting warmed up then. Saw a couple of old jerseys later in the day, including one guy who was trying to take a photo of the finish line photographers as he rolled home at the end.

I didn't spot Inda, or the Rose of Tralee, but I did spot a tv camera pointing down from the top of Moll's Gap. Try as I might, I couldn't resist the urge to pop out of the saddle for a bit of a flurry as I went past!

At the beginning of the day I was complaining a bit about the M50 style lane discipline of many cyclists (stay as far right as possible), meaning that I had to go to the other side of the road to overtake a single cyclist, but I was enjoying the spin so much that I just didn't care later on. Super day out. Many thanks to the organisers and all the supporters along the route. Happy to get a sore face from smiling and waving back at them! (Nearly not so happy when I tried to wave at some people on a sharp descent and nearly lost it!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MotoMarshal

Hi to all the cyclists im the motorbike marshal that was trying to keep the buses away from ye i think i pulled six buses up the wrong side of the road and i lost my voice at the end of the evening from shouting anyway i hope the marshaling was good for all of you as i have set up a small company for cyclists who would like to use the service of motomarshal in future events the email address is brendan@motomarshal.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

el tonto wrote: »
    Getting the post-spin relaxation in now. It's hard work.

photo.JPG

Parknasilla?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Lake Hotel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Photos from the Ring Of Kerry Cycle are up on http://www.killarneycameraclub.ie. Try and see how many photos you can trawl through without starting to hallucinate and seeing yourself in nearly every picture!

Advertisement