Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project management

Options
  • 27-06-2011 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

I am building in donegal and have had 3 quotes from Contractors, 190k, 200k and 230k thats some difference, I think I'm going to go down the direct labour route. So far we have had quotes in and its looking like approx 12-15k for labour up to and including roof fitted. I believe that is a good figure?
    Just trying to get my head around the PM role, I am a project manager by profession but my knowledge of building is not great, big learning curve, been doing allot of reading, most of it not helpful, I find talking to people who have built themselves is the best source of information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dooneenboy

Brendan

my own experience leads me to write everything out.

List out all the items required and allocated who is doing them and what cost it is.

get all agreements outlining scope of work and costs.

get all materials listed out, I know some building supply places will do this.

Basically have a list of who is doing what with which materials.

You note you do not have much experience, make sure someone with a good technical knowledge has a look at the house for you, and if you have issues with any of the direct guys, this person can advise you in the background.

Finally, estimate how long this will take and put a value on your own time!!!

good luck with the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Above posts moved from the "Self build cost 2011" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

So far we have had quotes in and its looking like approx 12-15k for labour up to and including roof fitted. I believe that is a good figure?
    QUOTE]

this appears very low. You are including in this the labour for:
    • excavation labour
    • machine driver
    • labour for pouring concrete
    • labour for installing mesh
    • labour for deadwork blockwork
    • labour for underfloor stone
    • labour for DPM
    • labour for insulation
    • labour for concrete floor
    • labour for pipework in floors
    • labour for rising blockwork and lintels and cills
    • labour for timberwork for roof
    • labour for roof finish

this does not take account of your first floor makeup? if there is one of course.

Just seems way low to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭brendan_donegal

Yes to all of the above

labour for deadwork blockwork - ? what is this

Is this the blockwork on top of the poured foundation to bring up to subfloor level?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Yes to all of the above

labour for deadwork blockwork - ? what is this

Is this the blockwork on top of the poured foundation to bring up to subfloor level?

yes its the blockwork from top of foundation to DPC level.

Is there free labour in this total?

• Advertisement

No free labour?

you seem concerned, is this very low, what price would you think i should be at?
    These are all local guys and I know people who have used them recently.
    Do you think I am missing a stage or something?

So does anyone have a good detailed list of steps for building a house. I know every house is different but the core steps must be the same?
    I am trying to ensure I have accounted for labour and materials for all steps, but if I don't have all the steps then it ain't accurate.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Code-Practice-Project-Management-Construction/dp/1405103094/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309953435&sr=8-1

there's a million books out there just pick one..

now you may ignore this but..... why not hire a proper PM to come in for an hour a week and coach you... not sure how practical this is but imho a good solution

• Registered Users Posts: 46,128 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I am a qualified PM,

All I want to know is the task list and the sequence for those tasks.................

and I know my list is missing loads of details..............

Problem is how do I know that I am talking to all the tradesmen I need to?..........

Surely there must be somebody out there with a detailed list of tasks to build a house?
    Bit of a contradiction there Brendan, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

• Advertisement

Pretty thin..........Not helpful, please don't clutter up this thread with rubbish, I would like to get answers not be abused.
    Thank you

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I have asked loads of people and I have a general idea just not detailed enough for me and I know my list is missing loads of details but I am assuming unless I want to spend money then I will just have to wait and talk to all the tradesmen as they come and update my plan as I get the info.

thats a complete recipe for disaster.
    you cannot plan a project by figuring the next step only after the previous step is complete. The successful project has every step figured out before a sod is turned.

Ill be very honest here and say that from reading your posts you dont appear to me to have the requisite knowledge to lead or project manage a domestic build and you need to engage professional help to aid you in this.. be they a project manager or a design professional such as an architect or technician.

Surely there must be somebody out there with a detailed list of tasks to build a house?

the list of tasks is only a very early starting point.....

how do you know which solution to each task is the best for your situation?
    how do you know which is the most economically advantageous to you?
    how do you know which one future proofs you best?
    how do you know which ones meet they myriad of regulations out there? and more importantly, which ones dont!

etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭manufan16

How about getting a quantity surveyor input?

The BOQ I got done for me was presented in a schedule of works/sequence of events type format.

Clearly my post was a bit unclear so I have removed it. I appreciate your time in replying but your telling me the obvious stuff i know already so I am signing off this one.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,645 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Clearly my post was a bit unclear so I have removed it. I appreciate your time in replying but your telling me the obvious stuff i know already so I am signing off this one.

funny thing is... your post was full of you complaining about the stuff you DIDNT know?!?!?!

oh well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

que.jpg?w=271&h=443

Advertisement