Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TEFL course for South Korea

• 27-06-2011 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,

I'm looking into TEFL courses to teach in South Korea. I understand that the ACEL accredited courses are the best once to do but they are expensive.

Do I need to have an ACEL/CELT/CELTA course done here to be able to teach in South Korea or are all TEFL courses recognised there?

Thanks for the info!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭virmilitaris

onlythedon wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking into TEFL courses to teach in South Korea. I understand that the ACEL accredited courses are the best once to do but they are expensive.

Do I need to have an ACEL/CELT/CELTA course done here to be able to teach in South Korea or are all TEFL courses recognised there?

Thanks for the info!!

You don't need any TEFL cert to teach in Korea. (Or Japan, or thailand, or ... etc)

You just need a degree in anything.

P.S -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055471189&page=110

• Registered Users Posts: 27 onlythedon

I was told that for EPIK I would need to have a TEFL course of at least 100 hours done. I have a degree and a post-grad in teaching (for business and IT) but never put the post-grad to use. Maybe for the better paid jobs I would need a TEFL? I take it give that you seem to only need a degree for most jobs, any TEFL would be better than none? Thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

any TEFL would be better than none? Thank you!

Not really, most of those 60-100-120 hour courses are just a waste of money and will not get you any recognition from the majority of employers.

A celta on the other hand would get you more offers and better pay, but it takes time and can be expensive, depending on how much income you have.

120hour + TEFL certs will get you a 100k a month bonus from an EPIK school, but as you have a PGDE I think it doesn't actually matter as you get the bonus for having a teaching degree.

Advertisement