Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beach hotel Mullaghmore

Options
  • 27-06-2011 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi went fishing 2 years ago frm Mullaghmore and stayed in Beach hotel for 2 nights, It was a bit of a dump but was cheap compared to elsewhere.
    Contemplating doing fishing trip again and wondering about Beach Hotel as its under new owners new website etc.
    Has it improved been renovated etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pinemartin

hi i was looking to go fishing in mullaghmore do you have contact for anybody there please .

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Rodney Lomax or Peter Power Google Fishing in Ireland or Sea angling Ireland both websites have links to lists of boats by county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

You can go fishing from Sligo town either, I can PM a number if you want.
    Might be easier to get decent cheap accommodation there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Theres also the Pier head hotel added a leisure centre etc and I presume did up the rooms but dont know for sure. Offshore watersports also do sea angling from Mullaghmore. Live close to Mullaghmore at the moment at love it. Theres great diving and a nudist beach nearby as well, sure what more would you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Peter222

You must have had a great time fishing, a trip becomes memorable only when the accommodation facilities are good. There are many beach accommodations available, and if the booking is done well in advance they avail discount also

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Hungry Rock

Hi went fishing 2 years ago frm Mullaghmore and stayed in Beach hotel for 2 nights, It was a bit of a dump but was cheap compared to elsewhere.
    Contemplating doing fishing trip again and wondering about Beach Hotel as its under new owners new website etc.
    Has it improved been renovated etc?

It has gone down hill a bit over the years, You could try their neighbours the 'Pier Head Hotel' fairly modern place in comparrison, loads of B&B's in Mullaghmore too, you won't be stuck, best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The Pier Head Hotel is quite run down, which is sad because all it really needs is a good clean, a repaint job & some new soft furnishings to bring it up to scratch, deco-wise.

Not exactly well run either - I stayed there last year & booked some spa treatments for the missus. I rang ahead & asked them if they'd be showing a match that I wanted to see while she was off getting pampered. Yet when we arrived, I was told that the spa was closed & they couldn't show the match because they hadn't got Sky Sports.

The food wasn't great either. Definitely wouldn't stay there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

The Pier Head Hotel is quite run down, which is sad because all it really needs is a good clean, a repaint job & some new soft furnishings to bring it up to scratch, deco-wise.

Not exactly well run either - I stayed there last year & booked some spa treatments for the missus. I rang ahead & asked them if they'd be showing a match that I wanted to see while she was off getting pampered. Yet when we arrived, I was told that the spa was closed & they couldn't show the match because they hadn't got Sky Sports.

The food wasn't great either. Definitely wouldn't stay there again.

?????????
    T'was good enough for Leonard Cohen.

red sean wrote: »
    ?????????
    T'was good enough for Leonard Cohen.

The only reason Leonard Cohen is back touring, is that he is basically bankrupt after his ex-manager helped himself to his savings.

If he had a few quid, he definitely wouldn't have stayed at the Pier Head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I spent a night in the Pier Head before. I found no cause for complaint with it but I can't remember if I had breakfast the next day or not so can't comment on the food. I wouldn't have any issue with staying there again though if I needed to.

• Advertisement

Welcome to the sticks!!!!

Both the Pier Head and the Beach Hotel were once upon a time two well run houses, The Pier Head has been totally refurbished over the past number of years although the Beach Hotel would need a major facelift. Pity, because the rest of Mullaghmore is a wonderful place to visit. Time to get the fingers out!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 GeneralLeeBike

pinemartin wrote: »
    hi i was looking to go fishing in mullaghmore do you have contact for anybody there please .
    I've a house in Mullaghmore,so needless to say i know the place blindfold. You can go fishing off the pontoon or rocks around the head (one of the best places is out behind the castle. Rodney Lomax sells every kind of fishing equipment you could ever want,and he also does tours out to Innishmurray,which is also good for fishing.
    If your willing to travel a bit to go fishing then I'd recommend the river just outside Bundoran (sorry i can't remember the name,but i'd rarely go north of Mullaghmore). The river is pretty easy to find. Its on the main road about 2km south of Bundoran,and there's lay bys on both sides of the bridge,with trails going up and down the river.

As for accommodation, I'd recommend the Pier Head Hotel. It was practically rebuilt about 7 years ago,so it is still new enough. The food is good,the gym membership is €18 for the month (although as far as I know its free for guests) and its in the middle of Mullaghmore with a private car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

(sorry i can't remember the name,but i'd rarely go north of Mullaghmore). The river is pretty easy to find. Its on the main road about 2km south of Bundoran,and there's lay bys on both sides of the bridge,with trails going up and down the river

There's the Drowes closer to Bundoran and the Bunduff river too. Both good for a spot of fishing or so I hear...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 GeneralLeeBike

Pete M. wrote: »
    (sorry i can't remember the name,but i'd rarely go north of Mullaghmore). The river is pretty easy to find. Its on the main road about 2km south of Bundoran,and there's lay bys on both sides of the bridge,with trails going up and down the river

There's the Drowes closer to Bundoran and the Bunduff river too. Both good for a spot of fishing or so I hear...

That's the name of it.Its the Bunduff river that I was referring to.
    If you're into cycling or walking I'd recommend trying to climb Ben Bulben or cycling the various trails behind Cliffony. They trails are easy to follow,and are pretty scenic too. Just follow any arrows you see pinned up on trees,fences,or gates. You'd be surprised how far you could go in such a short space of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 james08

The only reason Leonard Cohen is back touring, is that he is basically bankrupt after his ex-manager helped himself to his savings.

If he had a few quid, he definitely wouldn't have stayed at the Pier Head!

Ok firstly - All or most of the hotels in the Sligo region were trying to get Leonard Cohen and his team to stay in their hotels.
    The reason that Leonard Cohen & his manger both personally picked Mullaghmore was

1) A stunning Location.
    2) Exclusitivity of a hotel which could exactly accommodate their needs.
    3) In close proximity to the concert venue.
    4) Leonard Cohens stay in the Pier Head Hotel was been planned well in advance of the concert dates.

Can I also point out that Leonard Cohen & all of his team were extremely pleased with every aspect of their stay in Mullaghmore. The hotel offered fantastic service, attention to detail, requests and adequate security for his stay.

Money WAS NOT a factor

james08 wrote: »
    Ok firstly - All or most of the hotels in the Sligo region were trying to get Leonard Cohen and his team to stay in their hotels.
    The reason that Leonard Cohen & his manger both personally picked Mullaghmore was

1) A stunning Location.
    2) Exclusitivity of a hotel which could exactly accommodate their needs.
    3) In close proximity to the concert venue.
    4) Leonard Cohens stay in the Pier Head Hotel was been planned well in advance of the concert dates.

Can I also point out that Leonard Cohen & all of his team were extremely pleased with every aspect of their stay in Mullaghmore. The hotel offered fantastic service, attention to detail, requests and adequate security for his stay.

Money WAS NOT a factor

It's still a dump. More of a glorified B&B than a hotel.

You must have a serious gripe with this hotel to make such a post. Statements like that are potentially damaging to a business when put up on an open forum.
    I have no connection with the Pier Head but I have eaten there and enjoyed a few pints after fishing during the summer and could find no fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

Yeah,have to agree with Sean there I'm afraid.
    You & Mrs. Starbelgrade have had a bad experience there and that has obviously made you very emotional when someone mentions the old place :P

It might not be four star, but it's not a dump.
    Shur nearly every hotel is just a glorified B&B anyway innit?

And they do a great Sunday carvery.

I must have been there about 40 times for it.
    If it was crap, I wouldn't keep going back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 siliconchip

I stayed in The Beach Hotel Mullaghmore last weeken. Had a wonderful time: room clean, warm etc. Lovely new owners and staff. Great place to stay.

• Advertisement

I stayed in The Beach Hotel Mullaghmore last weeken. Had a wonderful time: room clean, warm etc. Lovely new owners and staff. Great place to stay.
    Theres been changes in the 5+ years since this thread was active ;)

Advertisement