Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Miss out again

• 27-06-2011 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if Limerick does miss out as I dont have the figures for the birthrate, but 40 schools are to be built but none in Limerick in the next few years to cope with the rise in population
    New arrangements have been announced for the patronage of 40 new schools due to be established over the next six years.

The schools are being built to meet a surge in the birth rate, which is forecast to result in an additional 70,000 students at both primary and secondary school level.

Of the 40 schools, 17 will be in the Dublin area and 12 in the commuter-belt regions of Wicklow, Kildare, Meath and Louth. A further six schools will be established in Cork, three in Galway and one each in Wexford and Cavan.

Patron bodies will be invited to apply to the department and provide lists of parents who indicate interest in having their children educated in new schools.

Minister for Education Ruairí Quinn said the new process will be more open and transparent than before and create more choice for parents.

"Parental preferences should be at the heart of considerations about the type of school to be recognised," Mr Quinn said. "The new arrangements will provide that patron bodies proposing schools at either primary or secondary level will be asked to provide evidence of demand."

The schools will cost around €380 million to build and some are due to be delivered using public-private partnerships. There will also be school extension projects to cater for the growing school-going population.

Mr Quinn also announced a group which will advise him on the patronage of new schools, to be known as the New Schools Establishment Group.

It will be chaired by Dr Seamus McGuinness, a retired senior lecturer at Trinity College Dublin's education department, and includes Sylda Langford, former director of the Office for the Minister for Children and Prof Sean O Riain at the sociology department at NUI Maynooth.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0627/breaking34.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

*signs* thought this was about some miss limerick announcing she was lesbanian/bi-sexual :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

interesting you mention it actually, as my son attends the primary school opposite Mary I, one of the biggest and longest established teacher training colleges in ireland (my mother did her training there about fifty years ago! :D), but his teacher was telling me that they'll have a new teacher next year, nothing unusual about that i thought, til she informed me that she is effectively out of a job in a few days!

she goes back on a panel, and another temporary teacher is brought in. and the numbers of teachers in the schools generally she told me is also being reduced, as i had happened to mention that i noticed how well the children all looked after one special needs child, appartntly remedial teachers are to be reduced too.

the irony of course as i pointed out that Mary I is just across the road, yet the teachers that are being trained now, wont have any opportunities for employment due to cutbacks. seems we have gone from a country with one of the best education systems in the world, to a revolving door system as the government robs peter to pay paul.

this now along with the threatened hospital cutbacks being discussed in another thread, makes for depressing reading tbh, i wouldn't mind but there were politicians all over this forum during the recent election, not even so much as a sniff of one now, as dublin gets prioritised again over the rest of the country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭liammur

Facts are limerick was completely overlooked during the FF celtic tiger years, no IDA jobs is key to driving a region. Sadly the new govt don't appear to be faring any better in this regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

liammur wrote: »
    Facts are limerick was completely overlooked during the FF celtic tiger years, no IDA jobs is key to driving a region. Sadly the new govt don't appear to be faring any better in this regard.

While I agree with the spirit of what you're saying, Limerick got two new secondary schools in the last decade or so (Castletroy and the Gaelcolaiste). St. Nessan's was also rebuilt and Ardscoil is being rebuilt at the minute. You can't argue that Limerick has been overlooked in terms of secondary schools in the last decade, imo.

I've no idea if similar improvements were made at primary level but from a secondary point of view, I'm not convinced Limerick needs new schools, it might need a better access system but that's a separate matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

While I agree with the spirit of what you're saying, Limerick got two new secondary schools in the last decade or so (Castletroy and the Gaelcolaiste). St. Nessan's was also rebuilt and Ardscoil is being rebuilt at the minute. You can't argue that Limerick has been overlooked in terms of secondary schools in the last decade, imo.

I've no idea if similar improvements were made at primary level but from a secondary point of view, I'm not convinced Limerick needs new schools, it might need a better access system but that's a separate matter.

Ard Scoil's building is just sitting there like the Opera Centre and the Parkway project. Will it be finished - who knows?

• Advertisement

That's my point. Limerick does not need new primary schools, simply because the region hasn't grown over the last 15 years. Galway does, as it has got thousands of IDA jobs and is now a bigger city than Limerick, with a young population coming through. Same for Cork/Kildare/Dublin. They are the places of the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

That's my point. Limerick does not need new primary schools, simply because the region hasn't grown over the last 15 years. Galway does, as it has got thousands of IDA jobs and is now a bigger city than Limerick, with a young population coming through. Same for Cork/Kildare/Dublin. They are the places of the future.

And Limerick will turn into North Haverbrook :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Mc Love wrote: »
    And Limerick will turn into North Haverbrook :(

"There ain't no monorail here and there never was!"

When the new CSO figures come out and the boundary actually reflecting the real size of Limerick city, I'm wiling to bet you a fiver (woah, big money) that Limerick will be bigger than Galway.

When the new CSO figures come out and the boundary actually reflecting the real size of Limerick city, I'm wiling to bet you a fiver (woah, big money) that Limerick will be bigger than Galway.

Same applies to Galway, places Oranmore/Salthill - if they get a boundary extension Galway is bigger, and it's growth rate will mean it will become far bigger. Meanwhile, the main thing here is regeneration. THe silver bullet of all silver bullets it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

Salthill is already part of Galway and out as far as Oranmore is in the city as well.

http://gis.galwaycity.ie/proweb_mapviewer/

Same applies to Galway, places Oranmore/Salthill - if they get a boundary extension Galway is bigger, and it's growth rate will mean it will become far bigger. Meanwhile, the main thing here is regeneration. THe silver bullet of all silver bullets it seems.

Salthill is part of Galway city. Oranmore isn't and nor should it be, it'd be like including Castleconell as part of Limerick city.

Oranmore is in the county. On the west side all of the new estates are within the city boundary.

The new primary and secondary school for the city are on the east side where there has been a lot of development over the past ten years. (Doughiska/Roscam/Ballybane)

Open street map has the boundary marked.
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/

Another of the schools is in Claregalway which has had both new estates built and lots of one off houses built (it currently has no secondary school - students travel to Galway, Oranmore, Athenry, Tuam and Headford for school)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Wow a thread about Limerick descending into a debate on boundaries in Galway, that has to be a first :D

Clareman wrote: »
    Wow a thread about Limerick descending into a debate on boundaries in Galway, that has to be a first :D

It is very possible a thread about Limerick FC will focus on some of the teams they are playing.

Advertisement