Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Low hydraulic oil Ford 4600 ?

• 27-06-2011 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Tractor will not lift bales especially when oil is hot. No oil on dipstick over back axle, so put in about 4 gallons of oil in bung on back axle. Still nothing on dipstick.
    Am i filling hydraulic oil into axle !!
    If so where does hydraulic oil go.
    HAs anyoine any experience of this.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Where's the dipstick you're checking? is it up by the gear levers? if so that's the gearbox oil level.

oil is filled through a plug behind the seat. on Q cab models there's a dipstick I think on the left of the axle but afaik on non Q cab models there's a level plug that you remove and fill till it overflows. it's on my list of things to find out about.

if it's really low on oil 4 gallons mightnt have much of an impact. I think they take around 10 in the back axle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

I have the same symptom in a Ford 4000. Problem isn't the oil level though, so I think the pump is goosed.

Better get the oil leve up though, it takes vast quantities back there. It may also be a good time to change the oil (probably the same oil since the 70's and the dampness in there over so many years can make it go "off") and the filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

Tractor will not lift bales especially when oil is hot. No oil on dipstick over back axle, so put in about 4 gallons of oil in bung on back axle. Still nothing on dipstick.
    Am i filling hydraulic oil into axle !!
    If so where does hydraulic oil go.
    HAs anyoine any experience of this.
    Thanks

You're putting it into the right place alright so you can rest assured there. Like someone else said already she will take a fair drop to fill up if the level was very low.

We have a 4610 at home and filling it is a bit tricky - gallons and gallons with nothing showing and then put in a quart and suddenly its halfway up the dipstick so may be the same issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Say hello to my little friend

Thanks for replies. When i had topped up oil in the bung in the back axle, some oil is coming out of the right hand brack linkage where it enters tractor central axle housing. Dipstick still dry. Does this probably explain low oil. Is solution to fix seal and keep filling....

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Swinefluproof

Put a NH genuine part on if you're near a dealer. Going on experience they are better value than cheap versions as they last much longer. Be sure to park on a slope or jack the tractor off the side you're replacing though :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement