Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dit Repeats

• 27-06-2011 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

As dit have yet to send me out anything on them desipte getting my results over a month ago , was wondering if anyone could help me with the following?

What date are they usually on?
    How much do they cost?
    Did you need to fill out any form in realtion to them?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Cant help you on the dates or forms, but I know that they cost €60, no matter how many repeats you have to sit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9 suzi90

hey dont know if u still need help but the repeats start on the 22nd of august, well thats what my lecturer told me and yeah u need to fill out a form to apply for repeats has to be in by friday the 15th of july and as ur man sed it costs 60euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭boysinblack

Where do you get these forms ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Repeat exams cost 60 euro. Normally your exam results are sent out with a repeat exam form if you have failed. The best thing is to just go into your exams office and sign the forms.I had a few repeat exams over the years and a big tip is just go over the last six or seven years of exam papers. I even sat a summer exam that was straight off a past exam paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9 suzi90

Where do you get these forms ??

They r meant to send them out with your results but dit r ****ing useless. Just go to the office and sort it out. That's all you can do, hopefully they won't charge u extra for being late cause it's their fault if u didnt get the form.

• Advertisement

Normally the exams office are sound about repeat exams and late entry fees. We are students after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭i124Q

I ain't got no form! I got one for the Revision Bootcamps but nothing about repeats! Load of sh**!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

i124Q wrote: »
    I ain't got no form! I got one for the Revision Bootcamps but nothing about repeats! Load of sh**!

If you live in Dublin, be at the Exams office first thing Monday Morning (I think it opens at 10 iirc), and if you don't call them at 10. There's no point sitting around waiting, you'll need to make it happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

just go over the last six or seven years of exam papers..

This never worked for me. Infact, I came across exams where questions not even on the sylabus somehow managed to pop up! These people are potentially out to screw you. Never follow tips from teaching staff, even if it's to your face. At least from my(and others) experiences.

Naikon wrote: »
    This never worked for me. Infact, I came across exams where questions not even on the sylabus somehow managed to pop up! These people are potentially out to screw you. Never follow tips from teaching staff, even if it's to your face. At least from my(and others) experiences.

How can a lecturer examine something that is not on the sylabus.The notion that a lecturer can just make up something out of nothing is complete rubbish. The lecturer can only ask something that has been covered in lectures and tutorials. Sure the question maybe different but the method is what is key.
    As long as the lecturer has been teaching the course for a number of years then you can go off past exam papers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

How can a lecturer examine something that is not on the sylabus.The notion that a lecturer can just make up something out of nothing is complete rubbish. The lecturer can only ask something that has been covered in lectures and tutorials. Sure the question maybe different but the method is what is key.
    As long as the lecturer has been teaching the course for a number of years then you can go off past exam papers.

Not in my course. I will email you a copy of the exam if you don't believe me. It's probably more common than you think. Sure, they can't ask you about roman lit or whatever, but sometimes a few "creative" questions get thrown into the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

With regards to the OP's original question, I asked at the office today and apparently they are being sent out at the moment. There is also a full timetable posted in the lobby (this was in Kevin St. btw). They begin Monday 22nd August

Anyone know when the repeat exams will be over? The date in which the last exam commences? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭grimm2005

i124Q wrote: »
    Anyone know when the repeat exams will be over? The date in which the last exam commences? Thanks

For my course it is 2nd September, I imagine its the same for all of em

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

Each faculty is different-the business faculty in Aungier St only start around the 3rd or 4th of Sept have done for the last few years (unless they change it this year) and end around the 12th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

They start on the 29th of August, not too sure when they end! They cost €60! And if you still haven't got any forms on Monday call the office asap, you might get to start your repeats later as you not getting any forms and stuff has 'hindered your studying" :P

I overheard the lady in the office saying it to a lad when I was in the other day! He got his really on Wednesday or something!

Get it sorted though, you need to pay your fees asap, they were due on Friday the 5th!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭overshoot

for repeat timetables, there is a repeat exam page-the first now on the home page, cluck on your campus, then exam timetables then supplemental autumn repeat exam timetable (its in a lighter shade of blue) for some strange reason they automatically bring you into the timetable for the original exam. :rolleyes:

http://www.dit.ie/cebeexams/timetables/supplementalautumnrepeatexaminationtimetable/
    ^^^bolton street for anyone who wants it, the rest of ye can find your own link!

is that it tho? iv recieved nothing to say iv a exam place, all seems like the usual dit bull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I crashed and burned in my exams this year, and I'm only sorting it out now for reasons I won't go into. For some subjects, I've been told to "repeat all components", I take it I've to repeat the whole module this year?

I crashed and burned in my exams this year, and I'm only sorting it out now for reasons I won't go into. For some subjects, I've been told to "repeat all components", I take it I've to repeat the whole module this year?

You can pass the module once you reach 40 marks overall. a.k.a passing your exam well enough to exceed 40 marks second time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

Anyone able to find the Kevin St equivalent of the timetable posted above? Can't find it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭overshoot

Anyone able to find the Kevin St equivalent of the timetable posted above? Can't find it here.

read the first line of my post!!!- the one with the equivalent timetable posted above

• Registered Users Posts: 14 niallduffy1988

does anyone know how the continuous assessment is handled with regard to repeat exams? does the same weighting apply? or is it at the discretion of the lecturer?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dartstothesea

overshoot wrote: »
    read the first line of my post!!!- the one with the equivalent timetable posted above
    I did read this post - the repeat exams page isn't linked to anywhere on the homepage.

Managed to find it anyway by searching through the sitemap.

http://www.dit.ie/repeatexams/

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Lucet

If you fail a repeat (one exam) in DIT, do you have to repeat a semester/year or just the exam during the Christmas time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭OkayWhatever

Lucet wrote: »
    If you fail a repeat (one exam) in DIT, do you have to repeat a semester/year or just the exam during the Christmas time?

You can carry it on to the next year.. You can carry 2 subjects I think?? Just make sure though!

does anyone know how the continuous assessment is handled with regard to repeat exams? does the same weighting apply? or is it at the discretion of the lecturer?

yes, its the same. also worth double checking with your lecturer as most are sound but some are ****s. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 prescar

You can carry it on to the next year.. You can carry 2 subjects I think?? Just make sure though!

Nope, thought that myself but apparently if you fail any repeat exam, you have failed full stop....you have to repeat 'internally' or something...like you will be just repeating that module and also have to pay fees I think...never really listened to my tutor when she was yapping on about it....kinda wish I did now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭axiom

if you fail an exam and subsequently fail the summer repeat .... if it is only the exam, for which your result will say "repeat written exam" ... depending on what exam it is, or if it leads onto something in your following year (say you fail a maths module, of which the contents will be continued on in the next maths module) you may not be allowed to carry that subject ...

in cases where it's single subjects, or subjects that don't have relative continuation the following semester, I've seen people carry 2 subjects in this case.

the matter has to go to your course or school head for them to make the final descision, so when you get your results, get into DIT asap to suss out your options....

if you have "repeat all components" it means you've failed both exam and continuous assesment ... unfortunately there are no pass by compensations in this case and you will have to go back and repeat the module seperately before continuing your course ...
    again the head of school or course head will have to give you the ok for you to repeat it ... fees per module and reg fee apply in this case too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

axiom wrote: »
    if you fail an exam and subsequently fail the summer repeat .... if it is only the exam, for which your result will say "repeat written exam" ... depending on what exam it is, or if it leads onto something in your following year (say you fail a maths module, of which the contents will be continued on in the next maths module) you may not be allowed to carry that subject ...

in cases where it's single subjects, or subjects that don't have relative continuation the following semester, I've seen people carry 2 subjects in this case.

the matter has to go to your course or school head for them to make the final descision, so when you get your results, get into DIT asap to suss out your options....

if you have "repeat all components" it means you've failed both exam and continuous assesment ... unfortunately there are no pass by compensations in this case and you will have to go back and repeat the module seperately before continuing your course ...
    again the head of school or course head will have to give you the ok for you to repeat it ... fees per module and reg fee apply in this case too

I failed two exams during the summer and it says "Repeat either Written Exam and/or Assesment and/or Lab work" on one of them. Does this mean if i get over 40 in the written repeat i pass overall? Or do i still have to get 40 with written and CA combined?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ron 1990

tutour on my course said no fails can carry over in my course anymore so id imagine that this is the same for most

Advertisement