Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Broadford, Kildare.

Options
  • 27-06-2011 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

I have just rented a house in a place called Garrisker, Broadford Co. Kildare.

A phone line is already installed in the house, and when I called 199000 the number was provided as 0469551961, although the line is not activated.

The line was deactivated in February, and the house was built 7 years ago, although I can't tell exactly when the line was installed as the Landlord doesn't know.

I called Eircom to query if I could order broadband and was/have been advised that it is not available on this line. The line is on the Broadford exchange as far as I am aware. I asked the sales person why broadband was not available if considering we are on an upgraded line, and was told that it was because the line was too weak for the signal ?

My question here is, if this is indeed correct and if so, how would I go about requesting a new line, that could support broadband be installed ?

Really would appreciate any help or feedback anybody can give me regarding this as I'm really keen to get proper line broadband into this house, I'm not at all interested in satellite or mobile alternatives to be honest.

Cheers,
    Anthony

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Gambit217 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have just rented a house in a place called Garrisker, Broadford Co. Kildare.

A phone line is already installed in the house, and when I called 199000 the number was provided as 0469551961, although the line is not activated.

The line was deactivated in February, and the house was built 7 years ago, although I can't tell exactly when the line was installed as the Landlord doesn't know.

I called Eircom to query if I could order broadband and was/have been advised that it is not available on this line. The line is on the Broadford exchange as far as I am aware. I asked the sales person why broadband was not available if considering we are on an upgraded line, and was told that it was because the line was too weak for the signal ?

My question here is, if this is indeed correct and if so, how would I go about requesting a new line, that could support broadband be installed ?

Really would appreciate any help or feedback anybody can give me regarding this as I'm really keen to get proper line broadband into this house, I'm not at all interested in satellite or mobile alternatives to be honest.

Cheers,
    Anthony

Hi Gambit217
    I will have a look at this and should have some information by this Wed.
    I will update you then.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Gambit217

Hi Gambit217
    I will have a look at this and should have some information by this Wed.
    I will update you then.
    Tony

Hi Tony,

That's great - thanks.

Cheers,
    Anthony

As I said previously, I'm not interested in Satelite Broadband.

Thanks,
    Anthony

Hi,

So Tony was very kind & checked out the line & confirmed it's not suitable for broadband.

So would anyone know if there is a procedure for upgrading the line, either through eircom or maybe another contractor?

Thanks,
    Anthony

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Gambit217 wrote: »
    So would anyone know if there is a procedure for upgrading the line, either through eircom or maybe another contractor?

Order a new line. Not a reconnection, a completely new line.

In order to complete an order the tech must enter the premises to install the master socket, do not let them in if the line is split ( as in 'carriered' or 'pairgained') in any way. Send them back out to find a full pair if need be.

If you have a continous line to the exchange it should support broadband.

Once the tech confirms the outside work is done let them in to install the socket. Then cancel the old line as it is useless.

A New Line install is free at the present. However a new line is useless to you if shared or split.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks Bob, I'll order the new line tomorrow so.

Cheers,
    Anthony

Advertisement