Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counselling

Options
  • 27-06-2011 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I wasn't sure if this is the right place to post or not so apologies if it is not.

I used to get councelling when I was in college and went to the same person for about 4 years on and off. Since I finished college nearly two years ago I haven't felt the need to go back again up until now.

Unfortunately I'm no longer in college I'm also out of work so can't afford to pay to see someone. What I'm wondering is are there any subsidised councelling services available to those in receipt of SW and how would I go about enquiring...don't really fancy walking into a FAS or SW office and asking over the counter and never seem to get replies to emails from either.

Appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Go to your GP,he'll be able to refer you to your local psych services for free counselling (be a bit of a waiting list I'd imagine) or be able to recommend a counsellor who charges on a sliding scale for people on low incomes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

V480 wrote: »
    Hi,

I wasn't sure if this is the right place to post or not so apologies if it is not.

I used to get councelling when I was in college and went to the same person for about 4 years on and off. Since I finished college nearly two years ago I haven't felt the need to go back again up until now.

Unfortunately I'm no longer in college I'm also out of work so can't afford to pay to see someone. What I'm wondering is are there any subsidised councelling services available to those in receipt of SW and how would I go about enquiring...don't really fancy walking into a FAS or SW office and asking over the counter and never seem to get replies to emails from either.

Appreciate any help.

Your Gp is a good start however as a short term if you really need to talk to someone check out

www.aware.ie
    www.samaritans.org

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

Thanks v much for the replies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Where are you based? If Dublin then there's a low cost counselling centre in Tallaght...linky here: http://www.villagecounselling.com/

I used it when I was in a similar position to you. They are volunteer counsellors but they are mentored and I found mine very helpful. Gimme a pm if you're still stuck and I'll try to think of some more possibilities. Good on you for getting help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

Stargazer7 wrote: »
    Where are you based? If Dublin then there's a low cost counselling centre in Tallaght...linky here: http://www.villagecounselling.com/

I used it when I was in a similar position to you. They are volunteer counsellors but they are mentored and I found mine very helpful. Gimme a pm if you're still stuck and I'll try to think of some more possibilities. Good on you for getting help :)

Hi,

Unfortunately I'm down in Cork. Pity there are not more facilities like that available... Thanks for the suggestion though, appreciate it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Doogieboogie

Advertisement