Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I want Freesat. Is Sky my cheapest option

• 27-06-2011 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

I know this has been covered before but it descended into a content argument

I'm looking at getting a dish installed with options for getting a box with HD content. I'm mostly interested in Free to air content but signing up to Sky for one year looks to be a relatively cheap and subsidized option.

With Sky and Fatcheese currently you can get the Sky+ box and installation with an Entertainment package for €176* for a year. They had a much better offer recently but I missed that.

A package including the Ferguson combo box from satellite.ie will cost me nearly €300

Assuming I will cancel after a year why shouldn't I go with Sky to get my FTA installation

* Sky costs((€23*12)-75 fat cheese)-25 Sky)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

groom wrote: »
    I know this has been covered before but it descended into a content argument

I'm looking at getting a dish installed with options for getting a box with HD content. I'm mostly interested in Free to air content but signing up to Sky for one year looks to be a relatively cheap and subsidized option.

With Sky and Fatcheese currently you can get the Sky+ box and installation with an Entertainment package for €176* for a year. They had a much better offer recently but I missed that.

A package including the Ferguson combo box from satellite.ie will cost me nearly €300

Assuming I will cancel after a year why shouldn't I go with Sky to get my FTA installation

* Sky costs((€23*12)-75 fat cheese)-25 Sky)

after the year you would probably need to get a ferguson combo box aswell though as the sky box isn't ideal for freesat and it won't have the irish channels. however in a year's time there maybe better combo boxes on the market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Yeah I was kind of thinking that. But seeing as they are €63 from Poland it still looks alot cheaper as far as I can see to go the Sky route and by the time I might choose to get a Ferguson type box they will be cheaper and smoother.

Am I missing something? Is there something I could regret going the Sky route?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Sky+ will refuse to record once subscription is canceled

Combo boxes do Irish Channels (with EPG) + Sat Channels (No autotune, no autosort, No EPG except "now + next")

Freesat pvr - autotune, autosort, EPG, series link etc, only SAT TV, so seperate Saorview PVR (or FreeviewHD PVR) required.

HTPC: does everything, but takes a lot of effort to build and configure. It will typically be €500 (Windows Media Centre) or €400 (Mythbuntu) but that depends on hardware.

Linux Sat. Box (eg. Vu + duo) - similar price to HTPC once HDD is added + dtt usb tuner. DTT Tuner support is limited - see thread in Foreign Satellite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

kuro_man wrote: »
    Sky+ will refuse to record once subscription is canceled

Combo boxes do Irish Channels (with EPG) + Sat Channels (No autotune, no autosort, No EPG except "now + next")

Freesat pvr - autotune, autosort, EPG, series link etc, only SAT TV, so seperate Saorview PVR (or FreeviewHD PVR) required.

HTPC: does everything, but takes a lot of effort to build and configure. It will typically be €500 (Windows Media Centre) or €400 (Mythbuntu) but that depends on hardware.

Linux Sat. Box (eg. Vu + duo) - similar price to HTPC once HDD is added + dtt usb tuner. DTT Tuner support is limited - see thread in Foreign Satellite.

Not exactly true.

It will stop recording if you cancel, but for a fee $ky can enable the recording again.

Not sure what it is in RoI, but its £10 per month in the North/UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

If you don't already have an aerial in place, and want the Irish channels after the year is out and replacing your Sky box with a combo box, you'll have to factor the cost of the aerial and installation of that. Could vary greatly depending on your location (might get the Irish channels with set-top aerial, or may need large aerial mounted on roof).

Or going the Saorsat/Freesat route, extra cost upgrading the dish to an 80cm and adding KA-LNB, or adding a dedicated dish for 9E and Ka-LNB.

EDIT: I don't know how genuine the post 61 was on that thread you referred to, but I believe it summed up what you're asking pretty well. # 61

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Polyfusion is correct,you're better off paying a bit more upfront if it's freesat you want,it'll pay for itself over the year plus the new Sky+HD boxes are a pain in the ass for FTA with the crippled epg.A Skybox is ok to use as a 2nd box if you have one lying around but I wouldn't subscribe to Sky to get Freesat.

polyfusion wrote: »

EDIT: I don't know how genuine the post 61 was on that thread you referred to, but I believe it summed up what you're asking pretty well. # 61
    Thanks for replying.
    That poster says that its possible to get an FTA set up for less than sky so where could I get an FTA set up for less than €176? Is it possible?

I can get Saorview with rabbit ears.

Why would I need an 80cm dish post sky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Only if you were going with Saorsat/Freesat; the 60cm dish you'd get with Sky wouldn't be big enough and hasn't the best geometry for using LNBs at positions other than the prime focus. A solid 80cm dish is the minimum for people commonly wanting to get 28E, 19E and 13E, for German and Italian (and some French and Spanish) channels in addition to the UK channels, and hopefully it will be big enough to get Saorsat at 9E when suitable LNBs are available later in the year. So, if you wanted Saorsat/Freesat, you would need at least a solid 80cm dish, or the 60cm Sky dish, and another dish for 9E, the size of which isn't clear just yet.

Since you can get Saorview with an indoor aerial, a combo receiver would probably suit you best. I was just making you aware of some possible options.

I don't know where you could get a setup for that price, the price quoted probably didn't include the dish, LNB and installation, which were probably in situ with the Sky installation. I don't know much about installation costs either, learned how to do this stuff myself, plenty of info out there to get the job done, but it wouldn't be for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

As that post (post 61) sums up. If you want sky, go for sky. If you want a FTA/ Freesat set up install that from the off. Don't get sky if you want a FTA/Freesat set up.

If you are only interested in the UK channels, with no disrespect to the posters mentioning it intended, don't get bogged down in dish size, multiple lnb's etc.

I have a combo (argus mini) and it is fine, and user friendly for the missus. I don't use the PVR function, and you'll never get the full sky+/ freesat+ user friendliness out of that.

My long term plan is a saorview certified TV, and a Freesat+ receiver. We never had a problem switching between analogue tele and freesat receiver, before saorview and our combo. A single channel list is nice, but not nearly as essential as you'd think, imo.

I've DIY'd a few relations as well as my own at this stage - it's not as hard as you think, but as someone else said, it's not for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

The other thing that you have to factor in OP is that if you with the sky install you will get the sky channels as well for the year so it is something to factor in as it means for the first year you will have a greater choice of channels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭An.Duine.Eile

Thanks for replying.
    That poster says that its possible to get an FTA set up for less than sky so where could I get an FTA set up for less than €176? Is it possible?

I can get Saorview with rabbit ears.

That setup was in a second room re-using the Sky dish, and doing the work myself, so only had to pay for the equipment. Sky dish works great for the UK channels.

I have since replaced the broken sky box with a new ariva 120. This was simpler as cabling was all in place. Unplug one and plug in the new one. With the boards discount the box cost 106 euro.

Out of curiousity. I priced up a new setup, with dish and cable, it came to 192. ( that is excluding installation )

My original point in the previous thread - If you what a FTA system you are better doing that from the start. Get sky if you want the sky channels.

OP is interested in HD, that is an extra €15 @ month ( €180 a year). This would bring the cost for the setup to €356 for the first year. That would easily cover the cost of buying the FTA equipment and paying someone to install it.

Thanks for the replies. A couple of posts have said I'm better off getting a FTA set up from the start if that's all I really want but haven't explained why.

An.Duine.Eile has priced the Ferguson box, dish and cabling at €192 excluding installation. Satellite.ie have indicated something like €280 for box, dish and installation.

If I go with Sky I get the dish, installation, their box for €176 (€23 pm with cashback) and I get their channels for a year. After a year I believe I can use their box in a limited fashion to view the same FTA channels? or I can get the latest and greatest and probably cheaper Combo box.

The only drawback I can see from the installation is that maybe a 60cm Sky dish could be inadequate and a 80cm dish might be necessary for Saorsat

I'm a novice at this and don't understand everything but my understanding is that Sky seem to subsidise the equipment and installation in the understanding that most people will stay for longer than 1 year and the installation is perfectly good to permit FTA viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The sky dish isn't great. It may also be no good for Multifeed or Ka-Band.

If you want freesat, get a decent Freesat HD install with solid dish. Sky installs for FTA only made sense when there where no PVRs, little FTA and FTA gear much more expensive and no HD. It made sense 2000 to 2006 at least. But today, only get Sky if you actually want pay TV. The Sky box is extremely limited and frustrating and missing channels and no record when no sub. The dishes are poor, poorer than they used to be (though Sky had several suppliers and one was very good and one very poor).

A perforated dish is for cheapness. They never last as well as solid. Also if you want multifeed it's too small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

In fairness you can buy a zone 2 $ky dish with bracket, pole and quad lnb for €20 on adverts.ie. For that kinds of money, its a bargain.
    Perfectly adequate if all you want from it is UK TV.

kuro_man wrote: »
    In fairness you can buy a zone 2 $ky dish with bracket, pole and quad lnb for €20 on adverts.ie. For that kinds of money, its a bargain.
    Perfectly adequate if all you want from it is UK TV.

Yeah but then I'd have to pay for someone to install it (I'm not climbing to my chimney stack). That's still probably going to work out at the same same cost as what Sky will do the package for, no?

Chimney is bad place for a dish.

It may not need to be high up.

Currently with Sky you get stuff that isn't very useful if you cancel sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

A common misconception is that the dish needs to be installed high up, in fact, with a favourable aspect, the dish could be in a hole in the ground, below ground level, and still get the signal. I installed my 2 dishes myself, one just above head height, the other at ground level, so that I can make adjustments to the main one, or swing the smaller one about to temporarily get different satellites. Of course, you need to take into account things like kids playing football, washing going up outside that might block the signal, and other possible obstructions.

I would say most people capable of using a hammer drill to install a hanging basket and able to tighten and loosen bolts and nuts, and interested in putting in a bit of research and learning a bit about how the technology works, should be able to handle the job. There are plenty of web-pages and video tutorials explaining how it works.

One thing asked by the OP, and was said a few times, but I'll mention it again, is that the Sky receiver, being used as a FTA box, is a complete POS to use, it'll drive you mad either flicking through all the unavailable channels, or all the button presses needed to get to the favourites list. I don't know about newer boxes, but I know the favourites list is lost if you turn off power on older boxes, a major problem if you like to kill power to your equipment when not in use.

Another thing to consider is if you do cancel, and do get a new receiver, you'll have to learn how to use a new system. I know myself, I can adapt well to new interfaces quite quickly, but some can't. If you're starting out with satellite TV now, my advice, get a box that you can get used to now, and continue to use for the next 5+ years without having to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Just to echo the earlier comments, off the 3 DIY installs I've done, all have been able to be adjusted with both feet firmly on the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Yeah but then I'd have to pay for someone to install it (I'm not climbing to my chimney stack). That's still probably going to work out at the same same cost as what Sky will do the package for, no?

If you are not happy about installing the dish yourself your suggestion of getting Sky to do the install is a good one.

With the Fatcheese rebate I had Sky installed for about €15 a month. When the twelve months is up I will cancel Sky and put in a combo box for about a hundred. Works out cheaper than having an independent installer do the work.
    Go for it.

The Sky dishes are poor and many Sky Installers are not properly trained. You also usually end up subscription for several years. It's a waste typically of €300 odd unless you want pay TV.

Get a proper independent installer and a "Freesat HD" PVR such as Humax.

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    The Sky dishes are poor and many Sky Installers are not properly trained. You also usually end up subscription for several years. It's a waste typically of €300 odd unless you want pay TV.

Get a proper independent installer and a "Freesat HD" PVR such as Humax.

I accept your point about the quality of the dishes but I would suggest that they are as good as the versions that come with most cheap self install packages.
    I was lucky to get a decent installer who stuck in extra coax. It was also a reasonably difficult install as it had to go high to clear the East facing house.

I am happy with the Sky package which gives me loads of documentaries, my only worry is that I may miss them when I end my sub.

It's going to cost me a total of €180 by the end of contract with the added benefit of paying on the drip, something that you won't get with an independent install.
    In the end it will have cost me about €280 which includes the new box, a years worth of pay tv and a spare Sky box to watch Five ect.

A no brainer really.

No, the Sky dish is much better than many "cheap" DIY store/Supermarket dishes. Some of those would not meet safety standards if they existed. Blow apart in wind.

A proper bracket and dish is required for safety, longevity and reception in rain. Definitely not some of the Supermarket/DIY shop models.

You may need a new dish and professional install in two years. Five is FTA.

I can see quite a few Sky dishes from my window that were installed a lot longer ago than two years, they seem to be holding up well enough. In any case I am now the proud owner of a telescopic ladder so can now make my own changes if required.

I should have been more specific about what extra channels the spare Sky box with an FTV card affords since I was replying to an expert, but I'm sure you knew what I meant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

Is the real problem with the self install is not so much mounting the dish, but wiring the cable up to your tele in a neat and coherent manner? I've seen some houses where theres a big black cable coming down through the ceiling - not pretty! (think these were sky installers as well)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

watty wrote: »
    No, the Sky dish is much better than many "cheap" DIY store/Supermarket dishes. Some of those would not meet safety standards if they existed. Blow apart in wind.

A proper bracket and dish is required for safety, longevity and reception in rain. Definitely not some of the Supermarket/DIY shop models.

Agree. We had the dish from L*dl, but the brackets were flimsy and had to replace brackets and dish after a bad storm. We got a Sky dish to replace it, but for €79, it did us two years and the FTA box still hasn't given us any bother.

Advertisement