Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of giving away 12 acres of Meadow!

• 27-06-2011 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

was thinking of giving 12 acres of meadow away for free in Mayo.
    last year we got 70 bales of hay off it in june, and 84 bales of silage in Sept.
    with the wet weather we had, i havent done anything about it yet.

got no fert or anything. . .. hadnt planned on having it as meadow.
    had planned on cattle this year, but with prices and just not been ready for them, its gone in to meadow. . .

wonder should i just advertise it free, or sell it....

i want them to come in cut and what ever, but take it all away. .
    not taking on the hassle of storing and selling bales next winter. . . land all plouged up. .etc. . .

what could i get for the 11-12 acres if i sold it, or should i offer it for free. .. . take it away etc. . .??

ps, .. i want to keep as much as the land clean,. . . i dont beleive in "just letting it go wild". ..

would love your thoughts!.. . . sell or giveaway?

Thanks
    NBF

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭huey1975

dont give it away. its surely worth 5 euro a bale or 50-60 per acre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Hi Lads,

last year we got 70 bales of hay off it in june, and 84 bales of silage in Sept.

had planned on cattle this year, but with prices and just not been ready for them, its gone in to meadow. . .

not taking on the hassle of storing and selling bales next winter. . . land all plouged up. .etc. . .

what could i get for the 11-12 acres if i sold it, or should i offer it for free. .. . take it away etc. . .??

ps, .. i want to keep as much as the land clean,. . . i dont beleive in "just letting it go wild". ..

Thanks
    NBF

As last poster said - sell it.

I had extra grass last year, similar situation as you - rough grass which had gone too strong, but had never received any fertiliser, so it was light enough in places, heavy in others. The arrangement was 5euro / bale, rather than a price per acre.

Best o luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 rocky bilboa

sell it or wrap it yourself and sell bales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭butt1

give it away

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Say hello to my little friend

Are you north south east or west mayo. Pm me if you like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

There are a couple of Agri-environmental schemes that would pay you to manage it for the likes of breeding Corncrakes, Waders etc. - most of which involve simply cutting it once a year in late summer:) - Eg. http://www.npws.ie/farmerslandowners/schemes/corncrakegrantscheme/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Birdnuts wrote: »
    There are a couple of Agri-environmental schemes that would pay you to manage it for the likes of breeding Corncrakes, Waders etc. - most of which involve simply cutting it once a year in late summer:) - Eg. http://www.npws.ie/farmerslandowners/schemes/corncrakegrantscheme/

This is a widely held misconception.

No they won't pay you to manage for breeding Corncrakes and waders unless these species are already there.

LostCovey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,762 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

LostCovey wrote: »
    This is a widely held misconception.

No they won't pay you to manage for breeding Corncrakes and waders unless these species are already there.

LostCovey

And in the vicinity which might well be the case with our friend from Mayo - in any case there are a number of top-up options for farmers already in REPS/AEOS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

sell it or wrap it yourself and sell bales
    I think that the op is trying to avoid that cost as he could end up not being able to sell the bales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Give it away for free on the condition that the person replaces the nutrient offtake that he is taking with the crop. Something like 100kgs of 0-7-30 per acre as payment. Then you wont be making the land poor and you will be getting something kinda reasonable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Give it away for free on the condition that the person replaces the nutrient offtake that he is taking with the crop. Something like 100kgs of 0-7-30 per acre as payment. Then you wont be making the land poor and you will be getting something kinda reasonable

I'd say the same but opposite.

sell it for the value of the fert+spreading.

that way you know it's been done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

So, 500 to 600 for the meadows?
    Not keeping bales to sell, only hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

We boought CAN last week and I think it was 472 for 1.5t, which would give you 2.5 bags to the acre.

so yeah, I reckon 600, or 50 quid an acre covers you, and should be a bargain for whoever you give it to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭Belongamick

NewBeef,
    If you are anywhere within 35 miles of central Mayo I have a decent man who will pay to bale and collect. It will not make you rich but it will keep the place tidy. If you are sorted this year, fair enough, then maybe something to think about next year.. All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Eddy Hill

Hi Lads,

Thanks
    NBF

did you think of afforestation , native species if possible, good for the carbon thingy , get you a premium every now and then and in the end a standing timber crop for harvesting

other option- new Dept Ag scheme -for meadows --more money for you
    more for biodiversity if your into that

other option there area lot of young farmers out there who cannot get enough grazing land -try your neighbours;) they could graze it for you

Advertisement