Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying HTC Sensation in US - Tmobile

Options
  • 27-06-2011 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I am in the states for 3 months and my iPhone 3GS has begun to fall apart and show its age so I'm in need of a new phone and hopefully also save a few euro by buying here too. I have my eye on the HTC Sensation 4G on T-mobile it has an impressive spec list.

I have read a lot of conflicting info about US CDMA/GSM networks in the US and some phones that are only CDMA in the US therefor will not work in Ireland. From what I can tell the HTC on TMobile supports GSM and will also take a sim card. So I am assuming once the phone is unlocked it should work back in Ireland when I am home? Anyone shed some light on this?

The phone works out at 380euro from amazon. Not a massive saving but a good 70 euro cheaper then home and I need a good phone while I am here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Hey guys, I am in the states for 3 months and my iPhone 3GS has begun to fall apart and show its age so I'm in need of a new phone and hopefully also save a few euro by buying here too. I have my eye on the HTC Sensation 4G on T-mobile it has an impressive spec list.

I have read a lot of conflicting info about US CDMA/GSM networks in the US and some phones that are only CDMA in the US therefor will not work in Ireland. From what I can tell the HTC on TMobile supports GSM and will also take a sim card. So I am assuming once the phone is unlocked it should work back in Ireland when I am home? Anyone shed some light on this?

The phone works out at 380euro from amazon. Not a massive saving but a good 70 euro cheaper then home and I need a good phone while I am here.

Make sure its compatible with the bands here. You will also need to get a different charger once ya get back here since pins are different.

We dont have 4G here so its incompatible. Cant remember which networks have it and which dont. We only have HSPDA+ here.

I believe Ireland has 900/1800/2100

So aslong as its compatible with these it should work no problem.
    Every phone sold has the band frequencies written in description on the box. So make sure it has them three :) otherwise you would be up for a nasty surprise when you get home

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

T-Mobile US uses different frequency bands to EU bands for 3G (their "4G" is HSPA+) but still incompatible with the bands used here. You would only be able to get 2G speeds when in Ireland. The US network that is comparable with EU frequencies is AT&T.
    Problem with US phones is that they are all locked not sure what the unlocking policy is. Unfortunately US carriers do not have to unlock phones.

Advertisement