Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for work placement.

Options
  • 27-06-2011 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone some advice would be great. I want to get some work experience for July and August. I was told by the store I would need my own insurance as this wasn't through a college or anything. I called aviva, Aiken & company and O' Driscoll O'Neill. One said they only do 12 month minimum, the second quoted me €1000 and the last will call back tomorrow. Any ideas how to get the insurance cheaper im trying to work for free to help further my future career.

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Maybe ask the shop do they have any recommendations for insurers? Or see will any of the local colleges suggest any to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Toots* wrote: »
    Maybe ask the shop do they have any recommendations for insurers? Or see will any of the local colleges suggest any to you.

The chap I spoke to had no idea of any insurers. Im going to call the wcfe in Waterford tomorrow because Im registered for September and they do work experience so maybe they will cover me or help at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

If you are being taken on by a store, and by 'store' I am assuming a retail shop, on work experience, then their Employer Liability policy should cover accidents caused to you in the course of your work.

The best you can hope to get yourself, is a Personal Accident type policy to cover injury to you and a Public Liability policy to cover any damage/injury you might cause to others.

I've never heard of a temporary employee, and that is what you would aould be, requiring to get his/her own insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Yep it is a retail shop. I think the need for insurance because im getting the work experience without a college or anything it was just me in there asking straight up. Could the insurance be because I will be dealing with expensive equipment not belonging to the store and that I can electrocute myself every 5 minutes with :D

Hopefully the wcfe will cover me and I can use this as my work experience for September or even add it too it because this would be fantastic experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Like Ravima said, their own insurance policy will cover you as an employee if you are in there on work experience. If they are still telling you you need your own insurance, then they are probably just messing you around because they know you can't get it and don't want you in, or the person telling you this requirement doesnt have a clue what they are talking about!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Doylers wrote: »
    Could the insurance be because I will be dealing with expensive equipment not belonging to the store
    Ravima and Peteb2 are correct for someone normally going to work in a shop, factory etc. However, is there a bit of a clue in your statement? Are you coming on to their premises and selling/demonstrating a product that is not part of the normal business of the shop? Are you coming in as an outside contractor/merchandiser?

Advertisement