Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to move to San Fran - looking for advice!

• 27-06-2011 4:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hey guys,

I've just signed up to Boards with a particular agenda in mind. I'm looking for a bit of advice!

My boyfriend and I have decided that we would like to move to the US and work for a year. We both have permanent positions here with him working in the Public Sector and me in marketing. However, neither of us are that happy in our roles so we feel that even though we are so lucky to have jobs, we need to get away for a while and experience living and working elsewhere.

has anyone done this before? I have done a bit of research but I cant seem to find a way to get a visa.

My brother in law is an American citizen and my sister is a permanent resident. Is it possible for either of them to sponsor me?

We were hoping to move after Christmas so we can build up some savings beforehand.

So really, i'm just hoping to get as much info as possible from those have taken this step. Interested in what kind of work they got, how easy the transition is etc.

Also, do you think it's worth applying for the greencard lottery? https://www.usagc.org/ this site seems rather pushy!

Thanks guys, any advise would be much appreciated! (Just hoping we're not mad to do this!)

Cheers,
    Lin :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

You're not mad at all! It's a great idea! But, you need to plan the visa in advance. If you have an immediate family member as a US citizen or PR/Green card holder, they can request you to get a green card, but it takes around 8-10 years from my recollection (which may be out of date).

So your options are:

1) Immigrant visa - Green card lottery. The real name is called the Diversity Visa ("DV") lottery now, not green card. It's free to enter, and the next date for entry will be the two month period from start of Oct to end of November. If you win, you will know by May or June 2012, and be able to move over assuming all goes well by Sept or Oct 2012.

The only way to submit your green card application is here on this official website: [url][/url]http://dvlottery.state.gov[/B]

It is free to enter.

The million websites offering green cards like the one you linked just submit your information for you, but the chances of you winning remains the exact same. My advice is to use the official, free website. It works.

2) Non-immigrant, other working visa - check the US embassy homepage for the links. There are around 7 million different visa types, you need to do some reading. But, it is a lot easier and quicker to get short term J working visas for "temporary" stays for even several years. The green card is for immigration into the US, i.e., it assumes you want to move there permanently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The lottery is probably your best bet.

Or maybe those temporary work visas (but I thought they were only for students?).

Corporate/job sponsorship is not long term and totally dependent on the job, and I dont think it qualifies you for permanent residency.

Marriage to an american may be too complicated unless you find a spouse for your bf as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭myleftfoot

It's called a lottery for a reason and you guys will have to "win" 1 each. Same with most visas unless you've been married for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Your sister can sponsor you once she is a US citizen, but there is a waiting list of about 11 years for a visa for siblings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,038 ✭✭✭✭cena

silja wrote: »
    Your sister can sponsor you once she is a US citizen, but there is a waiting list of about 11 years for a visa for siblings.

How about an auntie or a cousin sponsor you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

cena wrote: »
    How about an auntie or a cousin sponsor you

No, the only people that can sponsor are parents, kids over 21, spouses and siblings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 linderoo84

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies. really helpful. I guess I better brush up on my reading!

Trying to think of other options now just in case. Considering Canada and perhaps South America, though not sure how the latter will be for jobs!

Really just want to get out of here for a while!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD COMMENT:
    Moved to United States.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Roche

Before I became a green card holder upon marriage I lived and worked in the USA on a H2B temp work visa. It's a great way to find seasonal work e.g. ski resorts (always hiring internationals) and network with employers for sponsorship.

Advertisement