Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA & Grant

Options
  • 27-06-2011 4:49pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 6

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if anybody can help me out with a query.

Im hoping to get the BTEA and plan to apply for it in August/Sept before my course starts.

I also have read that in order to get the college fees and student support charges (the Student Contribution) paid, I also should still complete a grant application form.

My question is that seeing as I will be filling out the grant application form as soon as it is released (this week or next week hopefully) that this form will be processed before the BTEA application form.

I am wondering if its possible to be given a full grant and then not be allowed to apply for the BTEA in Sept as a result. Obviously I prefer to get BTEA over a full grant.

This might be a very stupid question as there may be different sections to fill out, but as Ive not seen the application form before I thought Id ask someone who might have gone through this already.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

There's a space on the form to say you're getting the BTEA I think, or else put it in the comments space. It probably won't be processed til well after you start (depending on the awarding body) so I wouldn't worry about it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 6 simply_j

Thanks for the reply,

Funny that the day I post this thread the grant forms are released.

Just looking through it and see that my question is answered:

"C5. Have you applied for or will you be getting a Back to Education
    Allowance (BTEA) or a Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS) payment for the 2011/12 academic year?"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

simply_j wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply,

Allowance (BTEA) or a Vocational Training Opportunities Scheme (VTOS) payment for the 2011/12 academic year?"

oooh are the forms out. they weren't when i looked. may download one so. not sure if i am going to need one. i think that Failte Ireland will be paying my student fees as the courses i applied for used to be run by them until last year i think when they went CAO, but they still pay the fees for the courses. best be safe though and download a copy of the form and start getting the bits together :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

simply_j wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply,

I don't know what your experiences are with the SW but I found that once I went from JSA to BTEA everything was done a lot more quickly and there were way less obstacles and delays. The local county council on the other hand... :pac:

You be better of with the BTEA as there is no guarantee that the Grant will be processed in time for the college year.

Though, you should still make it a priority to have the grant application form processed as quickly as possible, so to have the grant acceptance letter available for registration which will cover the registration fee.

Even if you do not have the Grant application form, try and obtain whatever certs are needed such as P21, SW, etc together from the relevant departments as they can take time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement