Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficulty after eating a bone

• 27-06-2011 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

Hi guys,

My dog ate a raw bone last night that we got from the butchers.We often get them bones and there is never a problem, usually they just eat the bits of meat and marrow. But last night he ate the WHOLE thing! Not a scrap left.

I was walking him today and he went to do his business and starting yelping and almost screaming as he obviously couldnt go. He attempted a few times and eventually went, and has been fine since.

He doesnt appear to be in pain, but should I take him to the vets incase it happens again? Or incase pieces of the bone get lodged somewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Vets as soon as you can if you ask me. Those bones are not designed to be eaten whole, only for knawing on really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

andreac wrote: »
    Vets as soon as you can if you ask me. Those bones are not designed to be eaten whole, only for knawing on really.

+1 +1 +1 vets asap

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

andreac wrote: »
    Thanks guys I thought as much, usually he barely touches the bones we get them for our other dog who happily chews away. This is defo a first for him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Bones can make a dog very constipated OP. If the dog seems uncomfortable next time he poops, you can give him some sardines in sunflower oil, or some oat bran through his food, to help things along.

Advertisement