Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Corolla versio 2006 - needs a new crank shaft after just 70k KM !?!

Options
  • 27-06-2011 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

My wife brought her 2006 Toyota Corolla Verso to the dealer on Thursday as there was a vibration in the clutch. The dealer said that it needed a new clutch. It was a bit of a surprise as its just been serviced a couple of months ago. To make a long story short, within a couple of days it seemed to be worse. Over the weekend there was loud noise from the engine. The engine is cutting out now when you slow down and clutch at the lights etc so it doenst seem safe to drive.

When we brought the car back to the dealer, they said that it needs a new crank shaft (about 2,000). The car has 70,000KM on the clock. Toyota Ireland has said that they will do nothing, as its out of warranty. This is despite the fact that it’s been regularly serviced at the main dealer and has only 70K on the clock. I asked Toyota Ireland if they thought it was acceptable, they wouldnt comment. Just kept saying its out warranty!!

Anyone have any advice / suggestions on this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Firstly what engine?
    My wife brought her 2006 Toyota Corolla Verso to the dealer on Thursday as there was a vibration in the clutch. The dealer said that it needed a new clutch. It was a bit of a surprise as its just been serviced a couple of months ago.

Thats got nothing to do with a service, the clutch. You don't look at the clutch when you service a car(gearbox out job). A clutch can go at anytime depending on driving style.
    To make a long story short, within a couple of days it seemed to be worse. Over the weekend there was loud noise from the engine. The engine is cutting out now when you slow down and clutch at the lights etc so it doenst seem safe to drive.

What kind of noise is it? A knocking/banging noise? I'd get a second opinion from another mechanic.

What is your service history like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Toyota are very generous with their warranty coverage, but your car is 5 years old. You're well outside warranty.

Certainly put your case forward, and push it hard (maybe you'll get a goodwill partial payment), but you can't *expect* full warranty coverage at this stage of ownership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 oregak

The noise is a loud knocking / rattle, more noticeable when you push the clutch in. Its was bad on Friday, and was very noticeable in traffic. It’s much quieter now but now its cutting out so its not safe to drive.

I know the car is 5 years old. But its been serviced with the main dealer regularly and there is only 70 K / 43K miles on the clock. To be honest I expect more than that these days! My dealing with Toyota left me totally un-impressed. I don’t expect full cover, but if they stand over the quality of theur product , I think they should be as concerned as me that this has happened after fairly low mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

oregak wrote: »
    The noise is a loud knocking / rattle, more noticeable when you push the clutch in. Its was bad on Friday, and was very noticeable in traffic. It’s much quieter now but now its cutting out so its not safe to drive.

I know the car is 5 years old. But its been serviced with the main dealer regularly and there is only 70 K / 43K miles on the clock. To be honest I expect more than that these days! My dealing with Toyota left me totally un-impressed. I don’t expect full cover, but if they stand over the quality of theur product , I think they should be as concerned as me that this has happened after fairly low mileage.
    Your going to have to tell us what engine is in the car! Its got symptoms of dual mass flywheel problems. Is your car a diesel?

and for any mechanics out there does anyone know if the crankshaft position sensor runs off the flywheel on this car but first we need to know what type of engine it is, what litre, petrol or diesel etc etc.

As you can probably tell, what I know about cars your could write on a matchbox ;)

Its a 1.6 Petrol.

It was running fine. There was that slight vibration in the clutch pedal which happend first about three weeks ago, then disappeared and seemed fine again. The vibration came back then last Wed. The garage thought it was the clutch on Thurs. Then there was some fairly loud noise over the weekend every time you pressed the clutch. That seemed to ease and then it started cutting out when you went down to second or first gear. No lights came on to indicate that there was a problem.

Brought it back this morning to the garage and they said its the washers in the crank shaft.... 2K to fix :-(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Thrust washers.

2k seems a little over the top

Moved to main forum, not really a DIY related thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

As stated earlier, clutch is not a normal service item, its a general wear and tear item and so is only changed when worn.You cant expect any garage/manufacturer to pay for replacement of it.Did the garage say why the crankshaft needs replacement, or how it went as such a low mileage?

Replacement of the clutch isnt an issue, althought it does seem that the clutch wasnt worn after all.

What is the issue, and what I'm not happy with is that the crank shaft now needs to be replaced. Considering its been serviced regularly and has fairly low mileage, Toyota dont seem to think that it even needs an explanation. I do not accept that an engine with 43K miles should need such a big job done to the engine for an apparently quality brand like Toyota. Its not normal wear and tear. Nor am I happy that my wife had the kids in the car when it stalled as she crossed a busy junction.

I thought that regualr servicing would ensure that the car was at least safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Sounds like the same symptoms as my wife's '02 Citroen Xsara Picasso, whose clutch release bearing died a few weeks ago after 167,000 kms. My friend replaced it for me - €200 for the parts, few hours work to put it in. If you do get a partial cover from Toyota, you might still end up having to pay more in cash than you'd have to pay getting an independent to replace the clutch at non-dealer rates.

If it were me I'd find a reliable independent and ask for their opinion before paying a cent to Toyota.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Replacement of the clutch isnt an issue, althought it does seem that the clutch wasnt worn after all.

What is the issue, and what I'm not happy with is that the crank shaft now needs to be replaced. Considering its been serviced regularly and has fairly low mileage, Toyota dont seem to think that it even needs an explanation. I do not accept that an engine with 43K miles should need such a big job done to the engine for an apparently quality brand like Toyota. Its not normal wear and tear. Nor am I happy that my wife had the kids in the car when it stalled as she crossed a busy junction.

I thought that regualr servicing would ensure that the car was at least safe.

As plug stated earlier,forget about the servicing on time thing because clutch is seen as a wear and tear item and so will not be part of any servicing, although I do agree its way too soon for a clutch to be going.I would try and insist on an explanation of the crank fault, unless the vibration of the clutch damaged the crank, but is very doubtful.

He has already said it is not the clutch.

The reason the symptoms are there when he presses the clutch is because when the crank thrust washers are worn the crank will move either towards the box or away from it depending on wether it has a pull or a push clutch.

The likely reason for the stalling is that when the crank moves so does the flywheel/front pulley and if the engine relies on a crank position sensor to run it may loose its signal when this happens.

I saw the exact same thing happen the 3.0L Trooper when they first came out.

IMO I would have an oil pressure check done. If this is ok, I would get the sump dropped and a proper inspection done on the engine.

If the crank is brown bread, source a 2nd hand engine and have it fitted. Talk nicely to Toyota Ireland and see what they have to say first. Nicely I said!

Thanks for the replies folks. :-)

Just to clarify the clutch is fine...that was not the problem.

The problem is that although the car is 06, the mileage is low, and the engine is knackered. At least thats what replacing the crank shaft means to me (I've said I dont know much about cars).

I cant understand how this can be acceptable for a main stream brand that is supposed to be reliable and of high quality.

Thanks for the reply Slidey!

I spoke to Toyota Ireland today on a couple of occasions. I tried the nice approach but to no avail. Althought its been with the main dealer for all services etc, they kept saying that its out of warranty. When I asked if they thoguht that its acceptable for this to happen, they said the same thing, its out of warranty.

Who would you recommend for the oil pressure check and an inspection on the engine? The dealer has the car at the moment, would I ask them?

Sounds like an independent assessment might be a good idea....

I would go with a good independent mechanic.

If you say whereabouts you are someone on here should be able to recommend a mechanic near you

I'm in Cork City...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

70k is a low enoug mileage.

If the car was taken on a lot of short journeys, never really getting the oil up to temperature, I could see the crank failing. It's also possible a bit of dirt or grit blocked an oilway somewhere, keeping a bearing from getting proper lubrication.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I'm in Cork City...

Bring it to Ardfallen motorcare, they're in Ballycurreen Industrial Estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Did you buy the car new or 2nd hand? If 2nd hand how confident of the mileage are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

tbh, this is not the first time a case like this has been seen, i for example watched my neighbour kill the clutch and i assume blew the head in her 3-4 day old Chevrolet aveo just because she couldn't find a gear for example.

now we all know toyota are more reliable then a re badged daewoo But still with only 43k on the clock... i wouldn't be surprised if the beans haven't been driven out of it.

• Advertisement

^
    Did you read the thread at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Slidey wrote: »
    ^
    Did you read the thread at all?
    Ah he's probably busy cruising down the "fast lane" at the speed limit :rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056312147&page=2

I hate to disappoint, but my wife is an excelent driver. :D

We have both been driving for over 20 years, and both have had different cars from volvo, fords, fiat, mazda, honda, nissan. This is the first time that we had a toyota and i think it will be the last.

The car is mostly doing city driving, with some longer journeys on the weekend. How hard are you going to drive a car wiht kids in the back?!?!

The garage didnt suggest that it was the way the car was driven. Which I think they would be fast to do if they thought that was the case. Its a falult imo, and the garage seemed to agree. If I thought that it was driver error, then I pay the money and be done with it.

I've heard of problems with the filter in the engine causing the oil light to come on and result in similar engine problems. Thats one rason for the posting to the thread was to see if anyone has had a similar experience to me.

I think I'll get an independent assessment and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Hi oregak,
    read the thread - and i can understand why you are terribly frustrated, pissed off, angry..... -

I think the advice given about checking out replacing the engine is a good shout. I snapped a crankshaft on my 03 Opel Vectra a while back, and got a replacement engine for STG£350 in Strabane. Then got it fitted for €500.
    Good Luck anyway.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Ah he's probably busy cruising down the "fast lane" at the speed limit :rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056312147&page=2

Attack the post, not the poster please.

Advertisement