Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to mount a 2.5 inch drive in a 3.5 inch bay?

Options
  • 27-06-2011 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Quick dumb question before I splash out a bunch of cash on a SSD.

Basically, my old case (Gigabyte Triton 180) only has 3.5 inch bays and I'm wondering what I need to do to convert one of them to hold a 2.5 inch hard disk.

Is there anything in particular I need to be wary of, or is it just a case of buying something to click the drive into so it will fit the bay like this? Any help/recommendations would be much appreciated.

Cheers for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

One way of doing it, if your case doesn't support 2.5" drives is using something like you linked too.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/silverstone-sdp08-525-bay-converter-thats-takes-2-x-25-hdd

Some 3.5" drive caddies will have screw holes in it so that a 2.5" drive will go in the caddy. Just looking at your case, I don't think it does.

Or some people just throw their SSD in. No need for mounting or anything :P
    This video should give some certainty about doing it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJMGAdpCLVg#at=153

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭IrishMetalhead

sometimes i just mount it a 5.25 bay and just screw it in from the one side as the holes usually match up, not the stablest way to go but much safer then throwing it in loose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

Dont suppose you're in Limerick? I've an ocz bracket for fitting a 2.5" drive into a 3.5" slot that I dont need. Realised my case has a space for ssds already.

I read that you can just leave them loose on the bottom of the case too. I wouldnt be comfortable doing that personally, but as long as you remembered it was like that before you moved it or anything it would work ok I think. (Me I'm pretty forgetful :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

just use a velcro strip on the SSD and whereever you want it in the case. it will supply much more grip than needed, SSD's weigh nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Kadongy, I'm in Dublin but I might be down that way in a couple of weeks.

Cheers guys, good to know there's nothing major I need to worry about with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

double sided sticker ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Not much need to mount it TBH
    I've seen so many SSD Just throwen in, some hanging by the SATA power cable to stop it resting on the case.
    If you really need to mount it,just buy a 3.5 too 2.5 from somewhere like eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Buy an inch!

Advertisement