Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pacers wanted for the Dublin Marathon

Options
  • 27-06-2011 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭

For the third year in a row, the official pacer groups for the Dublin Marathon will be organized from these parts. There's a private Pacer Forum where discussion of same takes place, so this is a general call for pacers. PM me for access to the forum if you are interested in pacing.

We are looking for four pacers in each group, qualifying criteria given below.

3:00 (Having previously ran sub 2:48)

3:15 (Having previously ran sub 2:56)

3:30 (Having previously ran sub 3:06)

3:45 (Having previously ran sub 3:19)

4:00 (Having previously ran sub 3:30)

4:15 (Having previously ran sub 3:45)

4:30 (Having previously run sub 4:00)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Fantastic response so far, nearly all the slots are "subscribed" already! By the looks of things we will have the most experienced bunch of pacers yet, which will add greatly to the race experience of thousands of runners. The race is being televised live this year, so everyone remember to scrub up well for the camera's:)

The one area we could really use some extra help is in the search for sub-3 hour pacers. This has in the past suited experienced runners who have bettered 2:48 previously. So if you're targeting an autumn marathon before Dublin (Berlin, Amsterdam, etc), and would like to be part of the pacing crew for the many club runners looking to get under 3 hrs in Dublin, please PM me your details.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭aficionado

Great to hear there is a great response,
    Gonna be my 2nd marathon and thinking of going with pacers,
    How does one find out who and where to find these peeps?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

aficionado wrote: »
    thanks

They're the runners tethered to enormous weather balloons. You really cannot miss them at the start.

See here.

thanks

They will have huge- and I do mean huge!- balloons tied to them at the start, and will be positioned at the correct section of the corals. Line up behind them, run (steady, even pace) with them throughout, and they will help you run your desired time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

thanks

Last year they had big balloons attached to them, and carried signs, both showing their target finish time. They joined in the appropriate starting pens shortly before the race started. They also had an information stand at the expo.
    There'll be more details closer to the day, but it will probably be more or less the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭aficionado

That's a pretty big balloon alrite, Should be able to find them!

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

There is going to be a 4.15 pacer this year?
    I was under the impression there was going to be one last year until the week before :o
    I think one may have been proposed at one stage.
    I went it alone last year but will try and stick with a pacer this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 clareman07

hi are ye still looking for 4.30hr pacers, if ye are would be interested, paced 5.00 in cork last 2 years and had a sub 4 in kildare this year

• Registered Users Posts: 12 clareman07

can you add me to the pacers forum please, love to do the 4.30 pacer too if help is still needed there

Thanks to everyone who has responded. We have enough pacers now, some of the slots are over subcribed. If you feel you're really interested in pacing, PM me your details before Friday- including what previous pacing experience you have, as there has been a fantastic response from experienced pacers. We'll make a final decision then.

The only slot that currently is "blank" is the sub 3 group, so a special call for faster guys.

• Advertisement

Some slots have just come available- the organizers are thinking of including a 5 hour pacing group. Pacing experience is desirable, but not essential. Of greater importance is that you have run several marathons before (running at least 4:15), and are well used to being out on your feet for a long time. PM me details, if interested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 TommyLAD

Hi Guys ..

Are boardies still involved on the marathon pacers and if so , does anybody know what pacers (Times) they will be running this year.

Will it be the same as 2012?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

TommyLAD wrote: »
    Hi Guys ..

Are boardies still involved on the marathon pacers and if so , does anybody know what pacers (Times) they will be running this year.

Will it be the same as 2012?

every 10 mins from 3hrs - 5hrs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 TommyLAD

cheers dude , just picked that up on the other thread ,
    Thanks

Advertisement