Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thai green chicken curry

Options
  • 27-06-2011 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Soes anyone have a Thai green curry that makes a thick sauce? I have seen a lot of good recipes online but the sauce always looks really watery.

Any ideas on how to thicken it and not kill the flavour?

Also, is it best to use diced chicken breast or would it be tastier to use thighs?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Just add some cornflour to thicken it if its too watery. Also maybe use full fat coconut milke rather than the light stuff. Could also add some halved/quartered baby potatoes, the starch thickens it up a bit I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Kenny_D wrote: »
    Just add some cornflour to thicken it if its too watery. Also maybe use full fat coconut milke rather than the light stuff. Could also add some halved/quartered baby potatoes, the starch thickens it up a bit I think

Thanks for that... I will give that a try. The pototoes are a good idea as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Also, is it best to use diced chicken breast or would it be tastier to use thighs?

Many thanks.

Definitely, definitely thighs will be tastier by a long shot (preferably with some bone still in).

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Coconut cream is thicker than cocunut milk

Adding potatos is more like a massman [sp?] curry

I think massaman is defined by the spices in the paste not by the fact it has potatoes in it. You can add potatoes to any curry, they actually go quite well with most variations of thai curry.

There's 2 amazing curry recipes in the cooking club posted by Curry_Addict. Highly recommend checking them out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I recommend the Mae Ploy brand of Thai Curry pastes if you don't make your own, or use it to add some more oomph/flavour. You can get them in all Asian markets.

I just had a gorgeous mae ploy thai red curry tonight. It was too watery after adding the chicken stock so I just added another tin of creamy coconut milk. It thickened it back up. Some recipes use stock and others dont. If its too watery then you can leave out the stock and just use the coconut milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Thanks so much for your replies. Got some great tips there. My mouth is watering :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Kenny_D wrote: »
    I think massaman is defined by the spices in the paste not by the fact it has potatoes in it. You can add potatoes to any curry, they actually go quite well with most variations of thai curry.

Of course you can add anything to anything.
    I was just pointing out that Massman is a thai curry with potatoes

And Massman paste, its pretty much red curry paste without lime leaves and corriander afaik

Advertisement