Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receivership of rented apartment

Options
  • 27-06-2011 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

This evening I got home to find a letter, telling me (named as "The Occupier") that the person in question has been appointed as the statutory receiver for the property I rent. He lists account details and states that I should pay all current and future rent to here.

A quick look on the internet does show that the owner of the apartment block has been pulled by NAMA in the last few days, so I'm inclined to believe what I read. I've no intention of setting up any direct debit to any letter which addresses me as "The Occupier" though!

However - I'm just wondering about my rights here on a few points.
    1. I've got a deposit of 2 months rent down with the owner. If he's in receivership, what's the odds of getting that back if I were to leave?
    2. I have a lease which runs for another 2 months with the owner. What's the legal stance with that? Am I obliged to pay the receiver anything?
    3. Does the receiver have the power to evict me?

For the moment I've cancelled my standing order to pay the rent completely until I know where I stand. I certainly don't want to keep paying the owner if that money is just going into a big black hole. Worst case scenario would be that I'd just stay the last 2 months and pay no-one anything and not seek my deposit back. Wonder if that would be an option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Call the Receiver and find out.
    Yes, you are entitled to your deposit as it's not landlord's money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

xRodge wrote: »
    For the moment I've cancelled my standing order to pay the rent completely until I know where I stand. I certainly don't want to keep paying the owner if that money is just going into a big black hole. Worst case scenario would be that I'd just stay the last 2 months and pay no-one anything and not seek my deposit back. Wonder if that would be an option?

This is exactly what I would do in your situation. it takes months and/or years to evict somebody in Ireland. Pay no more.

Advertisement