Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyrrelstown info

Options
  • 27-06-2011 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hello boards.ie,

I am thinking about buying house in tyrrelstown. I was searching forums and there are mix reviews about the area but they are all from 2005 - 2009 so I wonder if I can get updated info.

Some colleagues have only bad things to say about it but they just heard it, only reliable source is my whifes colleague that bought house there. She lives there with husband and child and she is pregnant with another one and she says it is great area, she has long walks at evening and it is safe area. And she told me there is a new schoole being open soon. So how is it? Please help me decide.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It's quiet, mixed cultures, mostly rental properties, right on the door step of a Lidl, not far from the Blanchardstown Centre. Parking is allocated. Try stick to Belgree, Mount Eustace or the newer built houses, have heard bad things about the older houses (off the first roundabout).

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Fresh2000

hmmm we are looking at Bishops Orchard <-> Hollywood Road area

That's the newer part, right near the main street so shops are just a stone's throw away.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭richardjjd

[declaration of interest: I live in Tyrrelstown]

Its well served by public transport - with a regular service to city centre and to the Blanchardstown centre. There are a number of shops (Superquinn, Lidl, pharmacy, two restaurants, three takeaways, pub, hairdressers, medical centre, plus a 4 star hotel across the road).

There are two primary schools (plus a community centre and secondary school being built). There are also soccer and GAA clubs.

It's very quiet with a low crime rate (in my experience). Its quite a young area (oldest houses were built ten years ago or so.

Interesting comments in January's post. I disagree that the majority of houses are rented : I'm not sure how you'd come up with such a statistic, but (at least in my little corner of the estate) most of the houses are owner occupied. I'm not sure what January meant by "bad things about the houses off the first roundabout" so can't comment on that.

As with new estates, there is a management company structure in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I prefer it to other new estates like Ongsr.

I think it is really growing into itself well - think the builder spent some money on the planting - some really nice mature shrubbery around.

Also, a lot of the houses are brick which deters grafitti etc.

Nice little towncentre - superquinn is perfect for sausages and nice bread on a Saturday and sunday morning!! :D
    Lidl is handy for the rest of the week :o

• Advertisement

Thanks guys for comments, like I said we only know one person that actually lives there and she said all good things, as well as evening walks are possible, she did not hear anyones house/walls/car was damaged, no knackers there.

is there night link comming there? is there anything for kids there? like a playgrounds?

Fresh2000 wrote: »

is there night link comming there? is there anything for kids there? like a playgrounds?

There used to be a Nightlink to there. Is there not anymore??

Loads of playgrounds.

Drive out this weekend and get a feel for the area.

The 39N nightlink terminates there, which is handy. There are two playgrounds, one in Curragh Hall and one in Mount Eustace (here and here).

amdublin wrote: »
    Drive out this weekend and get a feel for the area.

haha I was just talking with my wife about it, to go there at one of the evenings and than during a weekend at different hours to see what's up...

richardjjd wrote: »
    There are a number of shops (Superquinn, Lidl, pharmacy, two restaurants, three takeaways, pub, hairdressers, medical centre, plus a 4 star hotel across the road).

Forgot the bank, estate agent, off license and bookies.

• Advertisement

Fresh2000 wrote: »
    haha I was just talking with my wife about it, to go there at one of the evenings and than during a weekend at different hours to see what's up...

Yes that is the best idea - see it at different times.

Good luck!

Forgot the bank, estate agent, off license and bookies.

where exactly is this center with all those shops, banks, pubs, etc. Could you point it on google map like with playgrounds?

Thanks

This is the town centre. And across the road, this is the hotel (spin around from the hotel to see the town centre!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Is the kids shoe shop still open in Tyrrelstown?

I think the household store (Blue something or other) closed down.

Is the kids shoe shop still open in Tyrrelstown?

I think the household store (Blue something or other) closed down.

Not sure about the shoe shop. Blue Jays (plus the newsagents) shut a few months ago. A lighting store and a Polish shop have both opened since. There was a lot of comment about the rent being too high. Not sure if that's changed.

Little Piggies (shoe store) and Blue Jas have closed, along with the newsagents and the coffee shop (now an Indian restaurant). There's a new pet store opened up there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

I'm also in the process of viewing houses and to be fair it's been give or take, looking between TT and Ongar.

I want a modern house with multiple bathrooms and also to live in a settled decent area.

Both of these area's can provide that. There is a consensus generally and some people will not like it. The consensus I am getting from quite allot of people I know is that TT could be a smashing (great) area in ten years time or it could be an area that could suffer more than most from the current economic climate. Be it large scale rental, integration issues and/or lack of community.

It is not a case that any of the above will be an issue but more a case that people say to me that at some stage it maybe an issue. It is the unknown and unforeseeable development of area's like TT and similar.

As it currently stands, I tihnk the area has potential in the same way Blanchardstown must have had potential between 1975 and 1985 when you had one side of the town that was largely private and you had the council housing side that sprang up across the west and northern parts of the town. I'm sure at the time there was a prediction of possible issue and allot of them well founded. However; great communities also formed and TT has that potential.

TT is unusual in that it is completely mixed with rental, owner occupiers and a complete mix of nationalities.

As it stands I reckon it's fine, no different than anywhere else.

Perhaps allot of this is unfounded but as someone who is also looking for a house I thought a bit of balance is warranted.

I believe when you talk about TT you really should divide it up in to its individual estates. ie; Belgree, Beeling, Cruise park etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

Its well served by public transport - with a regular service to city centre and to the Blanchardstown centre.

It is? I guess the 40d is a pretty decent service, but I'd hate to go anywhere else from Tyrrellstown using public transport. I'd say you'd need a car in Tyrrellstown, as there's nothing near the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

January wrote: »
    It's quiet, mixed cultures, mostly rental properties, right on the door step of a Lidl, not far from the Blanchardstown Centre. Parking is allocated. Try stick to Belgree, Mount Eustace or the newer built houses, have heard bad things about the older houses (off the first roundabout).

Bad things about the Houses or the people? I always thought that the area looked well kept and although I wouldn't be out there at night time I never spotted anything that looked dodgy, a little isolated maybe.

No1J wrote: »
    Bad things about the Houses or the people? I always thought that the area looked well kept and although I wouldn't be out there at night time I never spotted anything that looked dodgy, a little isolated maybe.

TT is a nice area. That small forrested area would be nice if that horrible noise wasn't there all the time. I think it's a teenager dispersal noise but even walking through wrecks your head. The rest is nice and quiet usually though

• Advertisement

TT is a nice area. That small forrested area would be nice if that horrible noise wasn't there all the time. I think it's a teenager dispersal noise but even walking through wrecks your head. The rest is nice and quiet usually though

Funny you mention that dojojoe, ask your sister about it, she was complaining about it the other day and I said the same thing but she said she was the only one who could hear it of all the people she asked...

Polar101 wrote: »
    It is? I guess the 40d is a pretty decent service, but I'd hate to go anywhere else from Tyrrellstown using public transport. I'd say you'd need a car in Tyrrellstown, as there's nothing near the area.

Most areas are generally served by a bus from the area into town.

It is the design of Dublin Bus. The city centre is the hub and then there are spider legs out of it for all the routes.

So Tyrellstown is no different from the likes of Blanchardstown, Lucan, Finglas, Ballsbridge etc ie. To get to a different area you need to go into the city and change on to the other areas (spider) leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Funny you mention that dojojoe, ask your sister about it, she was complaining about it the other day and I said the same thing but she said she was the only one who could hear it of all the people she asked...

I run through there occasionally and never even knew it existed. God, I really do feel old now :o

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I run through there occasionally and never even knew it existed. God, I really do feel old now :o

Haha I can't hear it either! My 22 year old sister can hear it though, and so it seems can my brother :eek:

That small forrested area would be nice if that horrible noise wasn't there all the time. I think it's a teenager dispersal noise but even walking through wrecks your head.

You've got me there! I've never heard this sound (though some say I enjoy selective hearing...). Is that in the small forested area beside Bealing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

One of those mosquito things, that's mad, never heard of them being put in fields or open areas, must have been Fingal C,C.
    But what is the story with the bad things in the older house area?

No1J wrote: »
    One of those mosquito things, that's mad, never heard of them being put in fields or open areas, must have been Fingal C,C.
    But what is the story with the bad things in the older house area?

Perhaps no one is admitting it but allot of people regard certain sections of TT as a ghetto or soon to be ghettoised area. If that's true or not is not important but the preception.

Perhaps no one is admitting it but allot of people regard certain sections of TT as a ghetto or soon to be ghettoised area. If that's true or not is not important but the preception.

Not that... just apparently a lot of anti social behaviour...

Not that... just apparently a lot of anti social behaviour...

Both are true but not specific to TT in fairness.

If my offer for the house in number 1 belgree **** was accepted, i'd buy it immediatly. FACT :)

• Advertisement

you guys made us think about it very hard, we''ll know more after our visits there and than I have to follow my gut I guess and decide if to buy or not.

Advertisement