Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What set top box to buy?

• 27-06-2011 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi lads,

Hope this hasn't been posted before. If so by all means merge. Essentially I'm looking for a set top box that offers HD. It has to have a recorder. Built in HDD as opposed to USB. I would like this set top box to incorporate saorview and the free to air channels I currently get with my sky box. I understand that saorview is recieved through a UHF aerial on the roof and the free to air channels come from the satellite dish outside. I had heard that if your dish was set up for sky+ (which it is) that I could have saorview and the FTA channels operating from the dish? People are saying that a Freeview HD box would accomodate both??? I'm in Clare BTW. If anyone could help me out with the most sensilble, prudent route to getting this I would be very grateful.

Cheers,

Patrick

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Freeview HD is only for overspill areas, not Co. Clare.

You should look at a Freesat PVR like the Humax Foxsat HDR (about €300) and a Saorview box with PVR. I sell one the costs €50 but others are available. The one I sell does not have MHEG5 but has everything else.

Saorview is not available from a satellite at present, and will need a new dish installation. Freesat uses the Sky setup directly, you just swap boxes.

Hope that helps.

Advertisement