Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering in Galway

Options
  • 27-06-2011 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭

Im looking for work again but I may as well do some volunteering as Im not getting anywhere.

Are any of you aware of buildings in town I could actually go into when Im there tomorrow (CV in hand) and see what the story is.

And also, for those of you also out of work, have you sought volunteer work or are you just looking for jobs at the moment?

I couldn't even get a FREE Internship (for what Im qualified enough to do) this year, so was wondering what my fellow Galwegians (and you blowins too :pac:) are doing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Working now, but back when I was horrifically unemployed, I worked 3 nights a week for free in a bar. Eventually started getting paid a small amount, got a good part time job and continued working in the bar for about 6 months. Wrecked all the time but felt great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭JimiWonderDoor 92

Working now, but back when I was horrifically unemployed, I worked 3 nights a week for free in a bar. Eventually started getting paid a small amount, got a good part time job and continued working in the bar for about 6 months. Wrecked all the time but felt great.

That's class how it developed into a decent number for you. Did you know someone at this pub to actually get those hours in the first place? I know a pub would be happy to get you for free but would you suggest to others to just go into pub and ask to work for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

OP try this link, something might interest you on it.
    http://www.volunteergalway.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

There is a volunteer place down from Mill Street garda station. Heading on towards the church. St Josephs I think. May be worth a visit for some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'm all for volunteeering and in the cases of work trials havng to do a shift or two withour pay..but working three night a week for fre RHG that's pure mean!!

OP- are you look for volunteering experience in the traditional sense of helping out in the community or a job (like in a bar) without pay?

• Advertisement

I'm all for volunteeering and in the cases of work trials havng to do a shift or two withour pay..but working three night a week for fre RHG that's pure mean!!

OP- are you look for volunteering experience in the traditional sense of helping out in the community or a job (like in a bar) without pay?

Well a paying job first and foremost but that isnt happening right so I may try and get a job that's september til christmas and defer for a year when the rest of the students go back.

But for the moment anything that could get me a reference isn't a bad thing to be doing either and it also fills gaps on a CV.

As for unpaid at a bar Im not sure how Id go about getting that. It just tends to be a thing of them saying 'We're not hiring', and then me leaving.

So what kind of unpaid work are you looking for?

Well, without wanting to sound like a nob I would like something that I could use as a reference also, showing I did something during the next few months.

I don't have any experience with this volunteering so Im not really sure what specifically would be a good fit.

Well, without wanting to sound like a nob I would like something that I could use as a reference also, showing I did something during the next few months.

I don't have any experience with this volunteering so Im not really sure what specifically would be a good fit.

Yeah but what kind of stuff are you looking for..what's your field...office..admin work/ working with animals/kids/vulnerable adults/youth..computer course training..teaching..barista...shop work..web design? What areas do you want to gain experience in and what areas do you feel will benefit your CV?

Having a rough idea will help us give you suggestions..

You don't necessarily need experience to volunteer..worth visiting the volunteer centre anway

Yeah but what kind of stuff are you looking for..what's your field...office..admin work/ working with animals/kids/vulnerable adults/youth..computer course training..teaching..barista...shop work..web design? What areas do you want to gain experience in and what areas do you feel will benefit your CV?

Having a rough idea will help us give you suggestions..

You don't necessarily need experience to volunteer..worth visiting the volunteer centre anway

Well I suppose shop work would be ideal since that's the kinda part time Ill end up doing as Ive a good few years left on my current course.

• Advertisement

To get shop work experience, I think you will be best going to any of the many charity shops and trying to get a few shifts there..or try the Amnesty Cafe if they still have the cafe bit (I'm not in Galway right now).
    You'll get till experience, merchandising, customer services, stock taking etc etc.

I don't think you'd get any high street store taking on you for free/experiences wise, not in the city centre anyways ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Did you know someone at this pub to actually get those hours in the first place? I know a pub would be happy to get you for free but would you suggest to others to just go into pub and ask to work for free?

In this case, I did know one of the owners (Galway being Galway;)) But I don't see anything wrong with going into a pub or any privately owned business and having a chat with the owner or manager (Usually one and the same) and just saying that you are looking for a bit of experience, something to pad the CV out. Nothing worse than a big gap in the CV (I should know:()
    working three night a week for free RHG that's pure mean!!

I friggin' loved it, and the reason that they did start paying me was because I was so enthusiastic even though I wasn't getting anything save a free drink at the end of the night or whatever tips were thrown my way.

You must realise that I was very unemployed at the time and was glad to be doing something. I was going rather crazy with the boredom and desire to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Well I suppose shop work would be ideal since that's the kinda part time Ill end up doing as Ive a good few years left on my current course.

http://www.volunteergalway.ie/volunteer-vacancies/58-shop-retail/3336-charity-shop-assistant-dochas-nasamu-ltd

Have a look at this position it may appeal to you so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭martin6651

I registered with the Volunteer Centre on Mill St when I was made unemployed. They send out a list of placements on a regular basis. On one of those lists a charity was looking for a volunteer driver which I applied for and got. I have been doing this for 2 years now and would not leave it for anything. I get great satisfaction every time I turn up to drive only problem its only 2 days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Amnesty cafe and shop is gone, fyi.
    OP do you know anyone who knows anyone who employs staff ... networking gets you work quite often.

Advertisement