Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL and UCC problem

Options
  • 27-06-2011 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi everyone,
    Im not sure if many of you here would be able to help me but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am finishing my PhD here in UCD but am an American citizen so I had to apply through the Atlantic Bridge Program to try to get into medicine here in Ireland. Anyway, took the GAMSAT in March and received a score good enough to get into both of these places (if I was an EU citizen). Americans and Canadian students are also considered based on CV, letters of recommendation, an essay, and marks.

Anyway, I received my rejections letters today at my address in America for BOTH UL and UCC and am absolutely floored. On top of having the scores to go into medicine at both of these places, as well as having a PhD and letters of recommendation from 2 world experts I work with in the pharmacology field I have been shafted to say the least!

What I was planning to do was contact each of these schools since admin people arent always perfect and ask to set up an appointment with the head of school if admin gets me no where. I really dont know what else to do since I believe I was declined a spot I am fully entitled to. If I had gotten my EU passport this wouldnt even be up for discussion...

I really would like any advice on these matter and if anyone knows who is the best person to contact in UL or UCC about this. I feel that the program that has handled my application is a bit of a scam and just took my money with no chance of actually getting my application in the mix...

Thanks so much everyone :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Did you do an interview with these places? Did they go well?

I don't think you'll achieve anything by chasing down admin - they'll close ranks and you'll be blacklisted. Despite what you may feel, you are not entitled to a spot and questioning their motives/ability is bound to ruffle some feathers.

How far are you from an EU passport? That would seem like a sensible option from a matriculation and a fees perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

Best case scenario, get European citizenship.....Irish grandmother maybe? this may take some time, but it will save you over €100,000 and you get the safety of an intern spot here (i.e. an income) if you don't match straight out of school with a US/Canadian residency

Seeing as your applying via the bridge program you should apply to UCD and RCSI, and all the undergrad programs

What may even further p!ss you off and what I can't get my head around is that non-European Ireland trained docs (i.e. you some day) are lower down the list of intern spots that Irish internationally trained docs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 kermicrzy

2Scoops wrote: »

Despite what you may feel, you are not entitled to a spot

Sorry about that, I just meant that I am above the GAMSAT cutoffs, so I would be entitled to a spot if I was an EU student.

As for interview, they never even bothered to contacted me about that either. Oddly enough, you would think I would have at least heard from them for at least that before getting a straight off rejection..

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭EugeneOnegin

Hey Kermicrzy,

I think we met at the RCSI open day in November (unless you're someone else from US finishing off a pharama PhD :p)

That totally sucks about UL and UCC, have you also applied for UCD and RCSI?
    I would suggest you contact the admissions department of the respective colleges and relay your query. It's a bit odd that you didn't get in. UL are actually fantastic for dealing with queries, as are UCC.

Giv'em hell until they capitulate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 watawaster

Don't worry a bit about pissing them off - in my opinion you're fully entitled to query why your application was denied.

I've emailed Bill Shannon, director of education at UL med school before and he was happy to help (on other matters obviously). The contact details for the full faculty at UL are here. I don't know much about the other schools

Good Luck!

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for your help, Ill def give them a shout later. I just think its worth asking for some clarification on this matter, because its not making a load of sense to myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭EugeneOnegin

Let us know how it goes! Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I would think seeking clarification as to why your application was denied, as long as you do so politely, would be fairly reasonable.

Thanks everyone, its ok I just found out today I got into UCD! So, I guess Ill be seeing some of you in a few weeks. Now I just have to submit this thesis for August and I might have a weeks holiday ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

kermicrzy wrote: »
    Thanks everyone, its ok I just found out today I got into UCD! So, I guess Ill be seeing some of you in a few weeks. Now I just have to submit this thesis for August and I might have a weeks holiday ;)

Yay!! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement