Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL- suggest songs to teach children

Options
  • 27-06-2011 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi guys,
    I'm new to this and am really interested in getting some advice from experienced TEFL Teachers. I have completed a TEFL course and I am also a qualified Primary School Teacher but this summer will be the first time I will be teaching English as a foreign language outside of school.

I will be teaching Pre-Int children and the school I will be teaching in wants the children to preform a song at the end of each week. The children are aged 10-12 and I am looking for appropriate modern pop songs with clear simple language.

Does anyone have any suggestions of new songs I could use with the children??

I would really appreciate your help :)
    Thank you!!! :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Well I guess Lady GaGa and whips 'n' chains Rihanna are out then?:) Katy Perry's lyrics aren't the worst suitability-wise e.g. Firework. I used to use songs in class when I did TEFL and the kids used to really enjoy being given the lyrics and filling them words that have been blanked out.

Mods, I think the OP would get more responses over at Teaching & Lecturing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 LadyLee112

Ya I think your right they would be terrible! :P could you imagine the Friday show infront of the parents and the kids rocking it out to Rihanna :P I doubt I'd be teaching there long!! :P

Thanks for the advice though I will look into more songs and love the idea of filling in the blanks to songs, I do that with my 5th class in Irish! :)

Also if the thread would be more suitable in another forum, would be great if admins could move it, I'm not sure if I can move it myself!

Thanks again for your help!! :)

L xx

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The Tallest Man on Earth has some great tunes with short, simple lines of uncomplicated lyrics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭franc 91

I don't know about using pop songs as I am more used to using folk and traditional with children - 'accumulative' songs and poems are also very useful for memorising, which is very much part of the exercise. Here are a few suggestions on my part -
    In a wood there grew a tree and the green leaves grew all around and around etc.
    This is the key to the kingdom, in that kingdom there is a city, in that city there is a town etc.
    In a dark, dark wood, there's a dark, dark house and in that dark dark house there's a.....
    Songs and poems taken from Jelly Pie by Roger McGough and Brian Patten - Bring back the Cat, Embrionic Mega-stars, Potato Clock for example.
    Sea shanties are good too -
    for example - Stormalong John and Stan Hugill singing - I wish I was a bosun on board a man' o war (Sam's gone away), Haul away Joe and so on
    The Animal Boogie, We all go travelling by, The Farmyard Jamboree, Creepy Crawly Calypso - all from Barefoot Books
    There are also songs by Leon Rosselson which I like, such as 'Why does it have to be me?' and 'Skin' (CD Questions - Fuse Records) and then there's Benjamin Zephaniah.
    So I hope that this will give you a few ideas and that it might encourage others to come up with some more.
    Franc
    (PS I teach English to French children)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Two song that I (now retired) used were:
    We're all going to the zoo: Peter, Paul and Mary. Lots of repeat phrases and a catchy tune

Sailing: two artists that I know of - Rod Stewart or Sutherland Brothers. easy tune easy words and phrases.

• Advertisement
Advertisement