Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probably a ridiculous question but...

Options
  • 27-06-2011 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Can I bake a cake in a roasting tray??

I need to make a cake for my mums birthday party and I need it to be big! But the only big tray I could find in Dunnes was a roasting tray, it was only six quid so bought it anyway but I'm thinking it may not work?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Yeah, I've done it, I've baked cakes in marmalade tins, pyrex bowls, loaf tins, if it's something that can take high heat then it can be baked in!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pixie001

Just make sure you use some grease-proof paper/grease the tin well in case it's not non-stick. That's what I always do with the roasting tin that I use for baking :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

God yeah I didn't even think of that because I always do it, make sure to grease/line it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Good idea, never thought using a roasting tray for bigger cakes. I'd use parchment paper, I find it peels off better. Maybe to be safe grease and flour the sides as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Eever

I'm clueless about all this so thanks a million for the replies. Now I have to decide on a cake and try and work out how many times I need to multiply the recipe to fill the tin and feed everyone!

Thanks again guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Don't forget to take a piccy.

Safest bet is to do more cake batter than you think you need that way if there is any left over you can put it into bun cases and they should come out grand 15 mins in the oven approx. That's what I do with my lemon drizzle and sponge cake mixes.

Advertisement